Annoying Mishap

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Last night, while helping prepare dinner, I managed to remove part of the tip of a fretting finger with a carving knife. It's ugly, and painful, and means my guitarin' is on hold for who-knows-how-long while it heals.

Ugh. :mad:

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Geez! Guitar players and sharp objects! I can't emphasize this enough, the Sherry goes in the pan or in the chef, not in the prepper!
Hopefully you were making stew anyway and nobody noticed.:eek:
Heal fast and lesson learned:
Not like this!
senior-woman-cutting-finger-with-knife-while-cutting-celery-picture-id200178844-001

Like this!
par4001.jpg

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Ouch! A major bummer Mark. We can all relate to it. At least you have a great singing voice
to carry you until your wound heals.

Thanks; yeah, maybe I can sidesaddle with some of my cohorts and do vocals or something. It's the tip of my middle finger, so I'm also thinking that, once the current pain level subsides, I might be able to get away with some U-Bass work for a while. I use the flats for bass, not the tips, and sometimes just the index and ring fingers—plus those poly strings are easy on the fingers. Something to ponder when withdrawal kicks in.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I sharpen skates at a local rink and for years i id it bare handed. until I ran the knuckles of my right hand into the grinding Stone. All it took was a tenth of a second to grind my hand nearly to the Bone. Now i wear gloves.
I should get some if those uncuttable gloves for the kitchen too.
We need to take care of our hands

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Well, on a positive note: my spousal unit examined the wound last night as we changed the bandages, and is pleased with the healing process thus far. She's a former veterinary technician (think LPN for critters) and said the "granulation" looked great. I looked that up: it's the tissue that grows to fill in gaps. Being as how the mishap was only three days ago I'm rather encouraged. :Beer:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Having almost ground up my right hand a number of years ago, I literally cringe when I hear of these types of incidents.
The body can heal in incredible ways though, and I have no doubt this is just a temporary bump in the road for you.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
So: trigger alert for the squeamish. Some woundy-type details follow.

Now that I don't have to maintain constant pressure to keep the blood from making a mess everywhere I was able to take a long look at the affected area. I lost only part of the side of the nail, which apparently did what it's evolved to do and deflected the knife down along the side of the finger. The actual fingertip is mostly intact and the root of the nail is untouched. The "missing bit" is filling in nicely and there's no sign of infection or other hindrances to clean healing.

That means I can expect everything to come back in and be pretty much normal given enough time. I'm already able to type through the bandage without pain (or associated meds, apart from a wee dram or two) which is encouraging as Hell to me.

Whew. Lesson learned, you betcher good-natured donkey. :Beer: