Fender Acoustasonic Tele ?

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
So, some early impressions....

First off, this will never be a "proper" acoustic in the sense of playing unplugged around the campfire. It's plenty loud for the person playing—strikingly so—but, unless you're in a smallish circle and everyone's paying attention and you're not competing with ambient noise, you're gonna have to plug in to be heard. Now, given that until now my go-to acoustic has been the Air Guitar that's almost completely silent unplugged, clearly that issue doesn't bother me. When I play for myself it's great, and when I play out I'm always plugged in. There's actually a small negative in that this thing will probably be too loud unplugged for me to practice in the studio when SWMBO is trying to sleep down the hall. Not getting rid of the Air Guitar any time soon.

The electric tones are great! Some folks say it's just not a Tele but for my ear the bridge pickup delivers that quack more than closely enough. When you dial in the "B" mod sound (even without playing) you can hear the gain come through the amp. Think of the B side as a built-in gain pedal. Not a lot, but enough to get some noticeable hair on your tone—and that's all I generally want anyway.

The acoustic tones all sound great (unless you hate acoustics over piezo pickups in which case you have bigger issues anyway) but, to be honest, to my ear the difference between a rosewood and a mahogany body on a dreadnaught is lost. I just don't hear the difference. I can certainly hear the difference between a dread and a parlor, and so to me positions 4 and 5 on the blade are interchangeable as each gives you a dread/parlor pair to go back and forth between. I like position 4 with the mod knob about halfway for general purpose acoustic playing.

Position 3, adding the sonic mic that reacts to the face's vibration, is rather interesting. I'm not really into percussive stuff, personally, but dialing in that body resonance while playing the A side dreadnaught adds some mic'd-up richness to the tone. Too much of it, though, and to me it sounds really muddy and boomy. I think about 35% of the resonance dialed into the dread tone is my favorite of all the acoustics.

Position 2 is an odd duck. Acoustic dread and you can dial in the Tele pickup. I've not done any double-tracked experimenting but I can see myself spending some time exploring that position in search of a tone that I feel I can mangle to my evil purposes.

The guitar came strung with Fender brand acoustic 11s. I'm gonna leave that be for now and not get into wild-eyed string swaps (huh; who knew?) until I've played it long enough to decide whether the strings are bothering me. I use Earthwoods on my PRS acoustic and on my Air Guitar so, if I decide to switch, that's what I'll go to first.

Open mic night tonight so it'll get its debut then. I haven't a clue yet what I'll name it. No hurry. :Beer:

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Mark - Congrats on the new guitar. It is beautiful. It sounds like you are truly enjoying it...thanks for the pics and review!

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Thanks, guys!

Almost forgot: for reference, I’m playing direct into my Headrush FRFR 108 powered cab. Didn’t feel like lugging the 112 up from the basement but wanted to get an uncolored feel for the tones. It’s my closest approximation of what I get through the venue’s Bose L1 PA system.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I hope this is the beginning of a trend AWAY from basic black for you Mark. That guitar looks killer.
Do you only use a pick or have you tried it finger style? If so, does it sound natural plugged in and played with yer sausages?

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I hope this is the beginning of a trend AWAY from basic black for you Mark. That guitar looks killer.
Do you only use a pick or have you tried it finger style? If so, does it sound natural plugged in and played with yer sausages?

Just a pick thus far but I want to start learning some fingerstyle so I’ll find out soon enough. :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
The open mic debut was a success. Several people wanted to check out the guitar and (apart from one dubious comment about the FPS) everyone who tried it had positive things to say about the feel (and surprise over how light it is). I played it on setting 3, with the resonance pickup dialed into the dreadnaught tone about 40%, and had numerous compliments on how it sounded.

I'm so pleased with how it plays I did my set (four blues tunes) standing for the first time ever, and felt mostly comfortable that way. It just feels right in my hands. I think we're going to have a long and happy relationship. :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Addendum: the unplugged tone is really, really useful to me. It's plenty loud, sounds almost like playing a traditional parlor size acoustic, and the tone is full and enjoyable. I like being able to grab it ad hoc during a work break and just play something I'm working on, no flipping switches or plugging in, and actually hear something akin to how it'll sound live. I became a fan of this design rather quickly (ya think? :confused: ) but the more I have it around the more I like it. :Beer:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Nice picture.
Glad you like the guitar - it's beautiful IMO.
Glad the open mic went well.
Your glass has only ice in it - I'd fix that if I were you.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
So, according to the Fender site's specs these come from the factory with Fender® Dura-Tone® 860CL (.011-.052 Gauge) strings. I just did the first change on mine and there was a set of D'Addario rainbow end rings, plain to see. I guess that spec is to be taken with a grain or three of salt.

Trying a set of Earthwood 10s on it for now. I like Earthwood acoustic strings quite a bit, and going down to 10s because I'll be wanting to do some electric-type stuff on this geetar and my fingers doan like trying to bend 11s. :eek:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
A little anecdote about the popularity of these things: when I was at the music shop checking out acoustic basses I noticed there weren't any Acoustasonics hanging over in the high zoot guitar area. I asked the owner if he'd had success with the batch they got, and he said the things sold out very quickly and he's angling hard to get Fender to send him more because he has a waiting list.

This is a somewhat "depressed" part of the country economically, so to see a $2k guitar fly off the shelves like that seems to bode well for its success as an experiment by Fender. :Beer: