Amps Fender vs. Vox vs. Marshall

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
The three main amp types in my mind are really Fender Tweed. Fender Blackface and Vox.

Vox is the chimy highs with decent mids.

Fender Blackface is the clean bright mid scooped fender tone often with a ton of headroom.

Fender Tweed era (50’s) amps were less mid scooped and less clean with less headroom. These circuits are what directly gave birth to Marshal and Mesa Boogie amp lines as well as indirectly parenting Orange, Soldano, Friedman and others.

The vast majority of amps use a circuit that is copied from or descended from one of these three with extra gain stages and minor tweaks to component values.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Cool video. They all sounded great, it helps to have a talented player too! But my heart belongs to Fender. I like the Marshall too.

That’s what I like about my Egnater Rebel 30, it can cover both pretty well.

My Ampeg Reverberocket matches the Marshallperfectly, except it’s noisy.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Oh God, save me! My heart is right where CapnDenny1's is. Yeah, yeah, my go-to amp is a Quilter MicroPro, but my favorite tones from it are VERY Fenderish.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
Oh God, save me! My heart is right where CapnDenny1's is. Yeah, yeah, my go-to amp is a Quilter MicroPro, but my favorite tones from it are VERY Fenderish.

Sounds like you want a Princeton Reverb. Those little boxes put out some glorious Fender clean tones without the ear splitting volume levels of the bigger BF and SF amps.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Hey RR, great minds think alike. I think there are a few people who like that Fender sound. I think about 90% of the live bands I see on the TV, that's what they are using a Fender amp.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
That was a fun vid to watch! And, doing my own blindfold challenge with it, I have to stick by what I've said for years. For cleans, I like Fender. For crunch, I like Vox. However, stick the same three amps on a stage with a band, and my ear isn't good enough to know which is which. The longer I play, the more I realize that my ear isn't nearly as discerning as I'd like to think it is. I know what I prefer in back to back comparisons like this, but play me the Vox by itself with no comparative context, and I'm just as likely to say that it's the Marshall. Play me the Marshall, and I might say that it's the Fender. In my music room, I use mostly Blackhearts (which I have said sound pretty Vox-y to me), a Vox AC4, and my Fender Superchamp X2. I like them all.

And after mentioning all that nonsense, rock on, honorable ones! \m/

Cleotis

Boiled Eggs Rock
Nice video! Is anyone going to get the new 20W versions of the JCM800 or Plexi? They sound good and the price isn't too bad.

DannyB

2 miles from Jim Beam. Oh! Pleasent Hope!
Nice video! Is anyone going to get the new 20W versions of the JCM800 or Plexi? They sound good and the price isn't too bad.

Made in Great Britain and under $1300 new!

I'd like to have the little Plexi !!!

If I get to go back to work, maybe.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I'm waiting until April 1st to buy my Plexi.
I anticipate Brexit will cause an even better price here in the US.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
:mad::mad::mad:
Thought politics are banned!!!

Cheers

Al
Hey Al,
Not discussing politics.
I just think the impact on exchange rates will be favorable to those trading with the UK.
Time for all worldwide members to grab a hand wired Marshall.
Maybe I can afford an Aston Martin soon.
Sorry, your pain could be our gain.

Last edited:

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
That’s not how it usually works though. When the dollar drops relative to a foreign currency, import prices go up. When the dollar rises relative to the foreign currency, import prices stay the same...or also go up.

The importer (Marshal subsidiary?) will likely capture all of the currency gain.