Double Stops?

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Do any of Griff's courses include a lesson or three on double stops, such as how to pick good pairings? I did some browsing through the navigation panels of the usual suspects but didn't turn up a mention of them. I reckon if such a thing exists there are those among you who could save me some searching.

Many thanks! :Beer:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yeah, they are sprinkled throughout his courses, but it might be a good topic for @Griff to do either in an AAP session or one of his daily videos.

Gunrunner

Blues and Bird Dogs
Love double stops and use them all the time... but could we see “5 Easy Double Stop Solos” in the future one day??? Just looking to pad your wallet, Griff!

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Agreed, that's one of those things that exists in bits and pieces in a lot of places.

Many good ideas here, and I believe that either one of the 5EBS or BGIAB volumes there are a couple of solos with a lot of double stop ideas in them... I just can't remember which ones off the top of my head and I don't have them handy to go look :(

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I believe that either one of the 5EBS or BGIAB volumes there are a couple of solos with a lot of double stop ideas in them
5EBS Solo #3 "Rock And Roll in C" comes immediately to mind, as well as the second chorus of Solo #5 "Midtempo Blues in E".:)

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Just for some background, in the violin family, (mostly 4-string instruments), the bridge has a curved shape. When playing with a bow, the curve allows you to play just one string when the bow is at the right angle. But when held at a different angle, the bow could engage two strings (but no more). So "double stops" could be any interfval you can finger on adjacent strings. On guitar, it doesn't have to be adjacent strings, but still ususally means just two notes (an iterval).

If anyone is a fiddle player, here's a lesson