Sad News, A BGU Member Has Passed Away

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I just received word that BGU member Olivia, died on Jan 3rd, 2019.

Olivia was an active member from the UK and over the past few years she and I developed a wonderful relationship sharing music, ideas and great conversations through the BGU forum.

She was an active mentor to music students while she pursued her own music degree.
Although I never had a chance to meet her, I will miss her very much.

RIP Olivia

Olivia.jpg

Last edited:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Very sorry to hear this. Olivia and I were able to share a few messages on the ABGU Forum just last year and I really appreciated her kind way with words. She’ll definitely be missed

artyman

Fareham UK
That is sad news, I met Olivia at the first BGU-UK event that I went to and also the following year, she turned up at a pub in Bournemouth where I play Shadows stuff each month, that was about 18 months ago, gave her a lift back to the hotel she was down on business at the time, that was the last time I saw her.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
That is sad news, I met Olivia at the first BGU-UK event that I went to and also the following year, she turned up at a pub in Bournemouth where I play Shadows stuff each month, that was about 18 months ago, gave her a lift back to the hotel she was down on business at the time, that was the last time I saw her.
Hey Arty,
I knew she had attended the UK BGU events, I wish I could have met her.
Over the last several months she confided in me that she had some serious medical issues that landed her in hospital several times.
Being very private with her person trouble, she did not want to dwell on her problems.
She was working her butt off on her education, and acting as a mentor for other students.
All the time she was struggling with life and death health concerns.
We collaborated on a few songs and we where just beginning a new project which was delayed due to my studio construction.
I feel so bad that we could not have finished one last song together.
She asked her daughter to contact me if anything ever happened, unfortunately I received a message from her daughter this morning.

Last edited:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
RIP Olivia
I knew she had some health issues. At one point she was in an induced coma because of seizures.

We had quite a lot of interactions on the forum especially when we both did an online theory course. Also had a lot of private conversations. Olivia was never at a loss for words (or punctuation!)

Here is the last private message I got from her on my birthday in December, she didn't mention any health concerns at the time. I was kind of flattered that she remembered my birthday and there was no other forum topic to prompt this. I never met her face to face but I will miss her.

Hello David,

It's been a long time since I last *spoke* to you :rolleyes:

I may be utterly wrong (?) but I think 11th December is your birthday.
If so, Happy Birthday (y) and if it's too late, hmm, then a *belated* happy birthday (!)
If it's too early, count it as me done for next year ;)

I only remember (assuming I've got it right) because my eldest daughter, now 31, was born on the 28th of December and her closest friend was born on the 11th. They met in Primary School when they were only five years old, and they are still close now. That's why I remembered the 11th...

If I didn't get it all mixed up that is (!)

Well, whether you're 67 or 68 years old (!) you sure really put me to shame, and many others I should think (ha) you hold that bass like it's no heavier than a 3/4 size student Spanish Guitar :sneaky:

As for music theory... don't get me started :cautious:

Thank you, David, for all the help you gave me, and for all the help you keep on giving *everyone*
You are definitely one of a kind (y) and I truly mean that.

Very best to you,

Most sincerely,

Olivia

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I'm so sorry to hear the news. I have always enjoyed reading her posts and always imagined her to be an exceptionally nice and very witty person, which I am sure she was. RIP, Olivia.

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
I loved meeting Olivia at the BGU UK gigs she was a beacon that brightened up our events, I'm absolutely gutted to here this very sad news and the thought of not being able to meet or talk to her again is heartbreaking. RIP Olivia.

Philip Bate

Blues Newbie
This is the last photograph that I have of Olivia. It was taken in March 2018 when the UK BGU group met for a three day acoustic jam session in Duxford just outside Cambridge. Olivia is on the left of the photograph standing next to Chris Hurst. There were fewer people for the last evening of the session because of bad weather and we spent Sunday evening having dinner with Olivia in a wonderful village pub, courtesy of Mac ( double bass). She was a real character and all those that met her couldn’t fail but be charmed by her infectious zeal for music.

Attachments

• 2EB7B27F-C879-4C22-ADF4-1DF546C57042.jpeg
    2EB7B27F-C879-4C22-ADF4-1DF546C57042.jpeg
    940.8 KB · Views: 45

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
RIP Olivia. Wish we could have met, but it was a pleasure to read your posts.