Acoustic Strings

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
I agree with Mountain Man, they all work. It's a personal preference. I've recently been using Martin's Retro strings on my 00. Give them a try you may like the sound they produce.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
You have to find what works for you and your guitar. I use D'Addario EXP 10's, .010 - .047. I can bend those puppies, they sound good and they last. So that makes me happy. Others might tell me to use something else, but no thank you. :)

Tom

DaveJardine

Blues Newbie
at present i am trying elixir polyweb med/light on a Martin D16rgt
not to bad
medium strings what the guitar came with, was difficult to barre.
light made barre easier but bass sound dull.
tried extra light for bending but guitar sounded thin.
never liked the sound of Martin retro
saving my pennies for either a 00018 or CEO7
not in a position to try before i buy
so would need your help then.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've used Elixirs on my Martins ever since someone gave me my first set of them in the mid-90s. Prior to that I had used Martin Bluegrass strings and they were the best strings ever. Not to be confused with the Martin Bluegrass strings they make now (or at least recently). They're not the same as the ones from back then.

In my experience, the Elixirs are good all around strings that last longer than non-coated strings that I've used. I play mediums (13s) on my Martins. Makes me think, I need to replace the strings on my D15 this weekend. They've gotten thumpy.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Just won a set of Santa Cruz “tension” strings; filled out a survey and was one of the lucky ones. We’ll see what I think when I get and try them out. For US$12 a set they’d better play themselves. ;)

CJLaMere

Blues Newbie
I haven't been playing long enough to tell the difference between strings, now don't get me wrong, I HAVE CHANGED MY STRINGS, at least once . lol
after a couple years of playing, I have tried a few different brands, with my rig being maple, I get a pretty bright sound from the wood, so I have stayed with D'add's 12 . I've been down to 11's and up to 13's...… 12 seem to make me happy... just my 2 cents
also, if you change a string, change them all...…. d oes make a difference

Mickey Duane

Used To Be A Rock Star
Since I don't own any martins anymore( known for their nice bottom end) I use D'add's 12 for my bouldercreek and fender acoustics - seem to be cool but I haven't been able to play since i broke my arm in December - my quitars just look at me - might try some martin strings - I think I remember liking those also

Peace

Paul W

Blues Newbie
Nice and simple - Ernie Ball Slinky 10-46 (the green packet) for the electrics, D'add 12-53 Phosphor Bronze on the acoustics, Dolbro too.
I never really got on with coated strings. The D'adds start bright but I find a slight palm mute finger-picking on the acoustic reduces that.

Big Ed

Blues Newbie
I used Elixir NanoWebs () everything from Custom light to Mediums for country acoustic for 20 plus years on Martins and Taylors. As soon as I went to the blues I changed my Taylor DDX to GHS Phosphor Bronze 11.5s. To me this sounds bluesy. It also introduces some string sounds when sliding and I think that sounds right. It kind of gives it an old time Bluesy sound.
Now, with that being said, find what sounds good to you. You're going to change strings all the time anyhow, why not experiment?
Just enjoy. That's why we call it PLAYING. It ain't work!

Big Ed

Blues Newbie
I really need to ask
Do type of strings really sound bluesier.
Yes!!! But it all depends on what you think sounds like the Blues you want to play. Some people like smooth soft blues like Elixirs make, Some like it a little bit rude like unwrapped bronze, some like the chrome ribbon wrapped. They all sound different and that is without even touching on string sizing. You've got a lot to choose from. Have fun.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
My take on strings sounding "bluesier" is simply they all sound bluesy, rockish, classic or jazzed. It is the player not the string. I think of the beginnings of the Blues. The black people had little or no money. They made do with what they had on hand. Hence the Diddly Bow. Or taking a wire from a broom and using it as a steel string. A cigar box to make a guitar type of instrument. They could not afford to change strings so they played them till the string died.
So my point is .....They are all Bluesy. Chose the ones that feel and sound right for you (not Robert Johnson or Eric Clapton) but how it sounds to you. Develop your sound.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
different sound, but that depends on the sound you want........I tried elixers on mine, sounded like crap, went to the cheaper martins, they sounded great

Elwood

Blues
I totally agree on the elixers, and I hated the feel. Martin strings sound great but they feel kinda stiff to me, hurt my fingers and I make more mistakes, that hurts my ears. This topic is like motor oil, mine is the best, period. Fun though. I'm sure tons of players love and swear by elixers, martins and even daddarios. The only way I know is to try a bunch of 'em and see. But, I believe it was Emmanual I was watching who would actually change brands of strings because he feels the guitar would get too used to a particular brand, and sounds better with a change now and then. Go figure huh?

Last edited:

Big Ed

Blues Newbie
So, strings is the easy part, I saw Joe Bonamaso do a solo concert. He did about 30 different numbers, blues, jazz, rock, metal, etc. He used about 20 different guitars. Like Lucky Larry said, it all depends on what sounds and feels good to you. Some days my Taylor sounds awful to me and my Martin sounds great. Some days they both suck and I put them away. I'm sorry, were we talking about strings?

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Strings are relatively cheap so experiment a little/lot... My take for blues, it's more important to get the right feel more than anything... Try different material strings like phosphor bronze, nickel, 80/20, etc... Each will bring it's own tone to table..

I'm always trying/swapping out acoustic strings.. The only ones I don't care for are the elixirs Polly's (love the nanos) and the d'addario's (found them to be stiffer than the rest), but I should try em again.. Retros have a nice soft feel but offer a less focused tone (works well on some guitars)... Bottom line, everybody likes their own flavor, go find out what works for you and your guitar.. Good luck!!!