Timing issues part Duex...

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I find loopers with an autostart option works best. Set the looper to listen. When you start playing the looper starts to record. Then to finish the loop you need to hit the button on the 1 of the bar following not the 4 of the last bar.

cheers

Al.

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I’ve done quite a bit of research on this issue over the past few days and have come to find that without some sort of midi-sync function (thank you Jalapeño), it is pretty tough to keep a looper and a drum pedal in sync. You can get better with a lot of practice but there is a very tiny window of time to get the start and stop of the looper exactly right in order to avoid having the loop gradually lose time with the beat. There are several stand alone loopers that have a midi-sync feature although most are pretty pricey. At this point, I am going to keep playing around with the Helix looper to see if my interest remains high enough to justify the cost of a new looper. If I decide to take the plunge, I have my eye on the TC Electronics Ditto X4. Looks like a pretty solid unit. I may also go back and revisit the Trio+ to see what I may have been missing when I originally bought it. Thank you all for your help and suggestions on this topic.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
In addition to what's been said already, seek out a blues jam in your area. You proved your mettle in Lake George. That will certainly help with locking into the beat. After all, you're no longer a blues jam virgin anymore. :whistle::rolleyes::p(y)

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Counting is very difficult unless you started on day1.

Sometimes it's a little easier to understand the difficulty by knowing what it is exactly that you're asking your brain to do...multi-task!

Your brain is a finely-tuned, digital computer...it can't do more than one digital operation at a time...it can only appear that way by switching digitally between multiple tasks in a quick enough manner that it appears things are happening simultaneously. If you're "thinking" about the timing, saying it and playing it at what appears to be the same time, that's a tremendous amount of "switching" going on in your brain to make it a appear simultaneous.

It just takes a lot of practice. If you're like me without a shred of "guitar DNA," it takes lots and lots of practice. :)

I just figure if it were easy, everyone would be a Clapton or Bonamassa...it is tremendously fun, but it isn't easy.

That's actually not the way the brain works. If if did, people would never be able to play polyrhythms on a drumset that require one to play a different rhythm on each limb.

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
Well Brent, polyrhythms are pretty hard to play on drums. I can, but only with the hands not all four limbs on different rhythms.
Possibly your name has to be Jo Jo Mayer to be able to use all four limbs independently :p

Last edited:

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Well Brent, polyrhythms are pretty hard to play on drums. I can, but only with the hands not all four limbs on different rhythms.
Possibly your name has to be Jo Jo Mayer to be able to use all four limbs independently :p

I'm not saying it's easy. I'm just saying that the previous description is not how the brain works. It is capable of multitasking.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
My problem with the Trio is it doesn't always pick up the right chord

Yeah, it can get fooled—especially by embellished chords. When I train mine I try just to strum open "cowboy" chords and focus on getting the progression and tempo right, then let it mull over that. I tend to use the drums more than the bass, so there's also that.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
My problem with the Trio is it doesn't always pick up the right chord
I just play the bass/root notes on the 6th string, when inputing, and just the first note of each bar, then embellish using the looper.

Last edited:

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
Success at last!!! I have finally gotten my Beat Buddy to sync up to the Ditto X4, at least the first few loops that I have created have stayed
perfectly in sync for as long as I want to play them. I had to buy a midi sync breakout cable to hook the beat buddy up to the Ditto. When
the cable was delivered, I tore open the package and ran downstairs like a kid on Christmas to start playing with it. hmmm...the new cable has two female connectors but I need a male connector to plug into the Ditto:mad::mad::mad:. Back online to find some midi male-male connectors. They finally arrived yesterday and I am happy to say it is sounding good so far! The next task will be to go through every preset on the Helix LT and add the Ditto/Beat Buddy into the effect loop signal chain. This will be somewhat tedious until I get them all added, but just knowing that it is finally working will make adding them not so painful. I know that there are a million different opinions on loopers but I have to say that I have had a lot of fun with this looper so far!
IMG_0612.JPG

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
The problem with those looper pedals is that they are not musicians.:sneaky:
They only hear themselves and don’t listen to their bandmates. o_O
They don’t even listen to me ! :eek:
And I’m the drummer ! :mad:

O' Momantai, have you gone over to 'The Dark Side'. :eek: