Great idea for soldering

DannyB

2 miles from Jim Beam. Oh! Pleasent Hope!
Thats really cool! To say "handy" is an understatement!!

It's not lead free. I'd have to add a tiny amount of flux.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Any specifics on the hear gun needed? You mean my wife's hair dryer won't work?

I wondered about that, too. I found a spec that said the melting point of the solder is 138 Centigrade (~280 Fahrenheit) and you'd probably need to get things a bit warmer than that. Any heat gun made for general shop use should do the trick, no hair dryer should get that hot.

P.S. MikeS, I think you'll recognize this guy: https://www.wcax.com/video?vid=503874392

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
That's pretty cool, but 99% of the soldering I do these days is on a pot, switch or circuit board. I seldom need to extend a wire, but I would definitely consider getting some of those connectors if I did.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Any specifics on the hear gun needed? You mean my wife's hair dryer won't work?
I wondered about that, too. I found a spec that said the melting point of the solder is 138 Centigrade (~280 Fahrenheit) and you'd probably need to get things a bit warmer than that. Any heat gun made for general shop use should do the trick, no hair dryer should get that hot.

P.S. MikeS, I think you'll recognize this guy: https://www.wcax.com/video?vid=503874392
You're probably right Doug. A hair dryer will work with regular shrink tubing, so if you have a soldering iron already, no need to order this new product.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Those are great for a lot of applications...

Given my penchant (though reduced of late) for opening up and modding project guitars there have been numerous instances where I've been splicing wires end to end. Those little jewels would make such tasks so much easier.

aleclee

Tribe of One
Given my penchant (though reduced of late) for opening up and modding project guitars there have been numerous instances where I've been splicing wires end to end. Those little jewels would make such tasks so much easier.
I'd be careful operating a heat gun in close proximity to a guitar

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

Probably? You bet that's my uncle Len.
Thanks for sending me this. Brought a tear to my eye.

Reactions: dvs

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I can't think of any application of this for guitar wiring. There is nothing in a guitar that might not need to be replaced at some point, and you can't just unsolder these, you would have to cut them out. Also, lots of guitars have very limited space for wires.

Very cool, plus.... I gained the added bonus of understanding the benefits of using the proper tool. I've always just used a lighter to activate heat shrink... which requires a bit of technique, cause you only have so long to do the shrinking without destroying the original insulation. :)

Never dawned on me you can leave a heat gun on the work area much longer, for a more controlled application. Sometimes common logic flies right over my head, unless I have it bluntly pointed out... like in this example.