Happy New Year, Thanks, And Stuff...

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
First of all, I want to wish you all a safe, and Happy New Year!

But really, I'm feeling more thankful than anything today. I really want to thank Chuck, MikeS, and Paparaptor for helping me keep things going around here.

They spend way too much of their own time on my behalf, and I don't know how I would function without them. I can assure you they do much more than even you all can see on a day to day basis.

This year marks 10 years since Blues Guitar Unleashed was first released, which means I guess I'm here to stay...

The funny story is that, back in 2006 I just wanted to figure out a way that I wouldn't have to be gone every evening teaching lessons and miss my kids growing up. I thought that maybe if I could sell some books or videos online, maybe that would make enough money that I could spend 2 evenings a week at home instead of at the studio teaching.

Fast forward to 2010 and I had to quit that teaching job altogether because I could no longer find the time to make the drive to Orange County every day, and Laura had to quit teaching in 2011 so that I could have time to do BGU full time.

Since then I've learned an enormous amount about how to run and market my business, and I've learned an enormous amount more about how to teach effectively to a group.

I will be the first to admit that some of my earlier courses don't take advantage of what I now know, and that's something I'll be working to remedy in 2019 as I introduce more 'version 2.0' editions.

My 4 Note Solo video has eclipsed 2 Million views this year on YouTube, and my little BluesGuitarUnleashed YouTube channel now has over 60,000 subscribers... and I don't even really use it that much.

But the best part of all of it is when people ask me about what it's like running this whole operation and I tell them it's great. I tell everyone that will listen that I have the greatest bunch of customers in the whole world. They are the nicest people you'd ever want to meet and I love nothing more than getting to know them and "hanging out" with them on the forum, at a BGU Live, or at one of my concerts.

Not many business owners get to say that about their customers, from what I've come to learn. So I definitely color myself lucky, and I have all of you to thank for it.

So, thanks, and here's to 2019! (raises glass of Gentleman Jack)

artyman

Fareham UK
Thanks for all you do Griff, we in the UK remember with great affection the time you came over to the BGU-UK weekend, what commitment, all that way to encourage the folks over the pond. Look forward to your next visit. Have a great New Year

sloslunas

NM Blues
No words can express what you have given to so many people around the world. You are absolutely the very best, both as teacher and a very caring person to those that you meet. You sir, are the absolute real deal! I have been extremely fortunate to have been able to be playing on stage with you and your band in Corona, Memphis, Maine, and Dallas. Even if that didn't happen, just knowing you has been an absolute blessing. I wish you and your family the very best for the new year to come...

Steve

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Right back at you! Thank you for your teachings, the forum, the events, challenges, and of course I agree that you have great customers - many of whom have become very good friends of mine in real life, which is something I cannot say about any other internet "place" I go.

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
I plan on sticking with it for another ten years or so... Hopefully "Jack 2.0" will do a better job with all the wonderful/hard work you put into the course material...

P.S. I'm no gentleman, but my bottle of Yuengling is raised and tilted!! Enjoy!! Here's to a healthy and happy 2019! Yikes!!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Thanks Griff! I would do this even without the insane paychecks you send out each month! :D

Between the course material, the forum and the BGU Live events, I've learned a tremendous amount about the guitar, music theory and people.

I'm not sure I can separate the three into a matter of importance to me. Thanks to Griff for your course material. Thanks again for the forum and thanks for the Live events.

But even more so, thanks for the opportunity to meet so many people and make more good friends from the forum and live events than I would have ever imagined. We all share the common interest of making pleasing sounds come out of our guitars. Many of these will be lifelong friendships. With each morning's logon to the forum and with each live BGU related event, I have the opportunity to meet yet another lifelong friend. I would never have imagined I would find so many people with these shared interests. Thanks to everyone for making this a place where I look forward to spending way too much time on a daily basis.

Happy New Year, everyone!
Here's to an even more enjoyable 2019.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Well, I just have to echo everyone else in thanking you for you, the mods and everyone I've met over the years on this forum for sharing your knowledge and your friendship. When I joined this forum in 2011 and went to my first BGU Live in 2012, I thought i might have found something special, but the past 8 years have exceeded any expectations I had. If anyone told me then that I would one day be playing in front of 100+ people that paid to get in the place, I'd have told them "Yeah, in my dreams". Well, because of you, Griff, your family and everyone on this forum that have been so supportive and helpful, that dream recently became a reality.

Over the years I've been on many forums and a moderator on some, but none have been as enjoyable to visit on a daily basis as this one. I've met and made so many great friends from around the world through the various BGU live events.

I wish all my BGU family good health and happiness in the new year!
(Not big on bourbon, but I think I might have a little Monkey Shoulder stashed away somewhere) :Beer:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Happy New Year Griff!

Thanks for offering such great instruction and for making this forum available.
Hats off to the men in black for keeping this place up and running and keeping it a wonderful place to learn, share and hang out.

Looking forward to one more year of BGU.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Thanks for a crazy-illuminating year, and fondest hopes for many more to come. Very much looking forward to falling down hanging out with you guys in the hopefully-near future! :Beer: