Definitely NOT Blues but interesting

JN99

Hang Fire
Fascinating, what a great video - thank for posting Mike. I listen to a fair amount of jazz though can't say I really understand it. I have the Giant Steps CD, which was one of the first I purchased when I started buying jazz discs but haven't given it a spin in quite awhile; will have to do so tonight!

ervjohns

Blues Junior
That was an interesting musical discussion. I’ve got a fair number of jazz records from back in the day, including Coltrane, but I don’t have that one.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
The I, V is important in Blues as well. So we can see how the Blues gave birth to Jazz way back when in New Orleans.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Nice video great job of the people behind the video coming up with analogies and a plan for explaining it.

One of my brother in laws is a Jazz guitarist and teaches jazz guitar for Oberlin music college. Another brother in law plays bass ( although he is really a guitar player ) in a post punk band.

I like listening to my jazz bro perform live but yikes I just don't feel it so much. Rock and blues is what I enjoy and like playing ( and attempting to play even ).

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
It is helpful to remember that rock and Blues are dancing music. Most jazz is listening music. Not better or worse just different music, sort of classic music versus modern music.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
I'm just trying to learn some basic jazz. At this point it looks to me like pushing the boundaries of harmony to see what you can get away with! I agree with Larry that it's mostly listening music.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I think that those who play jazz (and understand what's happenin') are getting more enjoyment than I'll ever get by listening to it.

Kommetjie

Blues Newbie
It is helpful to remember that rock and Blues are dancing music. Most jazz is listening music. Not better or worse just different music, sort of classic music versus modern music.

I've watched Ken Burns' documentary on jazz several times . . . at the height of the Big Band era, jazz was pulling in the dance crowd. It seems the advent of bebop changed all of that.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Big Band Jazz is dancing music for sure. But there is so many more kinds of jazz that are not dancing music. I said most jazz is listening jazz as most classic music is listening but there are some waltz etc. in classic music Just goes to show that it is hard to label a genre. Lots of kinds of rock, pop, and so on. I was generalizing of course.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I like to listen to the older Jazz, aspiration to play any of it hasn't hit me, at least not yet.