5 things guitarists have to know about their frets.

Mark from Murrieta

Blues Junior
THEIR SHAPE AFFECTS YOUR PLAYING FEEL.

When we talk about the “feel” of a neck, a big part of that is really the feel of the frets. The ’board part of any fingerboard (aka fretboard) is of relatively little consequence compared to the way the frets themselves feel under the fingertips of your fretting hand. From wide and low to narrow and high—and all possible variables—each fret yields a different “touch”, and in turn, inspires and encourages a different form of playing. What’s “best” depends on what you want to achieve. Wider frets (jumbo or medium-jumbo) are often preferred by heavy benders, while narrow frets are often the choice of guitarists looking for a sharp, precise feel, but there can be plenty of compromise in between. Play as many types as you can get your hands on and see what works for you.

THEIR SHAPE ALSO AFFECTS YOUR TONE.

We might credit a guitar’s nut with transferring neck-end string vibration into the wood, but for anything other than strings played open, the frets are actually tackling that job. For this reason, their shape impacts tone as well as playing feel. Many players are convinced that fatter fret wire equates with fatter tone, and there could be some logic here, considering that more metal in any fixed component usually means a greater vibrational coupling between string and guitar. Wider frets also present somewhat blurrier, “thicker”, less distinct noting than narrow frets, which can yield a more precise note and more shimmering harmonics.

DIFFERENT FRET MATERIALS ALSO SOUND AND FEEL DIFFERENT.

Fret wire is commonly made from only two different materials: a “nickel” alloy, which actually contains approximately 18 per cent nickel-silver (also called “German silver,” itself a silver-free alloy of nickel and copper), and the less-traditional stainless steel. The former is far more common, although the latter is making inroads. Think of nickel frets as warm, round, and juicy, while stainless-steel frets are clear and precise, in relative terms. Of course, all this is also translated through the wood and pickups of any given guitar, so the tonal differences might in some cases be extremely minor. Most players will also note that stainless-steel frets feel smoother and harder, while their traditional nickel brethren feel a little softer. As you’d expect, both types wear accordingly, too.

FRET CONDITION IS A KEY FACTOR IN ANY GUITAR’S PERFORMANCE.

Your axe just won’t play right in any sense of the word if its frets are in poor condition. Frets that are dinged, rough, and abrasive will feel rough and scratchy under the fingertips, and will bite against the strings when you’re bending. Frets whose “crowns”—the top edge that meets the fretted string—have been worn down from heavy playing will impede your tone and your intonation by providing a less precise end point to determine the note. Any serious divots will also affect playability. To keep frets in the best possible condition, have them regularly dressed and crowned by a professional repairman, and your guitar will both feel and sound better.

FRETS ARE A CONSUMABLE, AND WHEN THEY’RE CONSUMED THEY’VE GOT TO GO.

Ads for vintage guitars will often boast of instruments in “100% original condition,” but when the frets are worn down past the point of no return it’s time to get them replaced, if you want that prized acquisition to be anything more than a wall hanger. Just as amps burn through tubes when played, a well-played guitar will eventually wear through its frets. Easy playing with little bending and a light touch might help a ’57 Strat hold onto frets that are still perfectly playable today, but if you don’t play that way yourself then they’re likely to need to be changed some day—a tough call to make, when originality is so heavily prized. For guitars that are anything less than ultra-collectible, don’t be precious about your frets: if they’re heavily worn, get them replaced by a professional. Done right, the job will breath new life into any instrument.

fret.samples..jpg

220135-1cff3573c19beb1954befcace08a1fbc.jpg

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
THEIR SHAPE AFFECTS YOUR PLAYING FEEL.

When we talk about the “feel” of a neck, a big part of that is really the feel of the frets. The ’board part of any fingerboard (aka fretboard) is of relatively little consequence compared to the way the frets themselves feel under the fingertips of your fretting hand.
Good article. The only part I would take issue with is the above quote. You don't press the string down directly over the fret. I think there is a big difference in feel between a rosewood and maple neck, particularly when bending or adding vibrato.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I don't know about that. I have probably three or four different types of frets on my guitars and they all play equally badly. I'm thinking it's the strings.

My guitars have different frets and different strings and all still sound poorly. I gotta go with RR on this one. It's the pickups. All my guitars have krappy pups! ;)

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Mine have different frets and different strings and different pups and all still sound poorly. But I use the same lead with them all. It's the lead;):rolleyes:

cheers

Al.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I think Carvin guitars use' stainless steel frets on some some of there guitars and have always wanted to try one. Sounds like a good idea because the fret wire they are using on the vast majority of the guitars today coming out of the orient is not by any means as durable as the guitars of yesterday. It is much softer and wears out fast.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
About the only way to really prove all of this fret lore would be to pull all of the frets out of a given guitar, put different frets in it, and see if there really is a difference. Comparing two different guitars will tell you nothing. Problem is that unless you rely on recordings for the comparison, by the time the new frets are in the guitar you will have forgotten what it sounded like with the old frets. And any difference will be subtle at best, so if relying on A/B recordings they better be pretty high-quality recordings.

LosBassMan

"Bottom Feeding since 1996"
I did not see the Vintage Vox guitars fret style, they were called "fast frets" they are flat on top--no crown at all--there is no way you can press down too hard on them and make the note go sharp--very little relief from the fretboard, I would take a picture and post but my Vox is still in hurricane storage.

Carlos

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I kinda think that the meaning of Marks post was overlooked: (maybe-maybe not)---if you notice on the chart the only Dunlop frets shown
are 6230-6230-6310. while the Dunlop measurment table below shows: 6100-6105-6130-6230-6150---(no 6310). ;)

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I do agree that the frets can make a difference in how you play..."feel" on the fretboard is big for me...the frets, string height, gauge, etc...do influence me...maybe it's mental but it's me...later.

cowboy

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I do agree that the frets can make a difference in how you play..."feel" on the fretboard is big for me...the frets, string height, gauge, etc...do influence me...maybe it's mental but it's me...later.

cowboy
I'm just the opposite. I have guitars with fat necks and skinny necks. Regular, medium jumbo and jumbo frets. I rotate through them and seldom even notice any real difference any more. Fret board radius is another thing. To do deep bends without fretting out, you need a higher action with small-radius necks than with flatter radiused necks. That used to trip me up a bit, but my solution was to just set them all up with the same action height ... adaptation fits solved.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
actually RR...I think we do agree...(y)...I also set up most of my guitar with about the same action but I do find subtle differences with radius, frets, and scale length...my vintage Fender type frets feel a lot different than my Gibsons...biggest difference for me is with bends and speed...maybe it's just my age...:rolleyes:...later.

cowboy