Hurricane Florence

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Sounds like the worst is over. Glad to hear everyone's okay. :thumbup:
I sure hope so---my son lives in Raeford, NC.(just a little bit south of Fayettville) .He's was without power Friday and Saturday--he texted today that it came back on today about 10 am. He lives REAL CLOSE to The "Cape Fear River" that the news is saying is going to crest to a all time high:eek::eek::eek:...he got hit pretty bad 2 years ago with hurricane Matthew. He has lost siding--roof-and fence this time...but doing good.---he did tell me he was going to buy a "generator" for Christmas---I might spring for that one.

LosBassMan

"Bottom Feeding since 1996"
Hope, Walker and I are ok lost my pump shed--it's out in the middle of the creek and just some very minor damage to the porch roof, I custom built this house extra strong and extra strapping just for hurricane wind. I started blowing around 8pm Thursday, and did not let up until Friday around 10pm, it blew 90mph sustained for almost 8 hours straight with gust to 130mph, we were told it would be well into next week before our power was restored so we high tailed it out just in the nick of time yesterday and I am sitting in a friends camp in Bridgton Maine. The storm winds were intense, but the rain was something else, I have never seen and never want to see the amount of water that fell from the sky! We are now members of the 20" club, Beaufort had 22.8" of rain on Friday, when the National Weather Service forecast rainfall in bibical amounts take heed! Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers it could have been much worse, and its real bad for some esp the inland river flooding, keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Carlos

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I forgot to add this--I WILL NEVER STAY FOR ANOTHER HURRICAN AGAIN--when they put an mandatory evacuation for your place--LEAVE! A true category 4 storm would destroy EVERYTHING in it's path.

Carlos

Totally endorse this. Two of my relatives lost everything in Katrina: one came back to a bare concrete slab where their house used to be, the other was in the 9th Ward in NOLA and the house had to be torn down after the flooding. I grew up in Pensacola and still remember Camille. These storms are quite deadly and not to be taken lightly. :Beer:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I forgot to add this--I WILL NEVER STAY FOR ANOTHER HURRICAN AGAIN--when they put an mandatory evacuation for your place--LEAVE! A true category 4 storm would destroy EVERYTHING in it's path.

Carlos
Glad you guys are OK. Just shows you never know what to expect, and neither does NOAA.

We are 40 miles from the coast and had no evac warning. We should have been out of harms way by 2PM Fri, which then became 2 AM Sat , then 4PM Sun and eventually after more severe thunderstorms, nearby tornadoes. and nearly 36 inches of rain things finally settled down Mon morning. Though our house was okay nearby flooding had us trapped until Mon.

The storm just sat on the state line and took 4 days slowing to 2 MPH and just crawled across NC. You guys on the coast, Wilmington Little River, and Myrtle Beach are sill digging out, and damage is catastrophic. Flooding and river crests will continue through the week. Fuel lines Mon were like the Carter gas rationing days. I estimated a 2 hour wait at the 1 station open in Elizabethtown on Mon. Fuel, food and water are still in short supply. Fortunately for us, no one was hurt, only minor damage and inconvenience compared to what others are gong through.

Big ups to The Skunk @paparaptor who gave me updates when I lost cellular data service.

Thoughts and prayers for those severely affected by this storm and the families of the 36 reported fatalities, so far.

And a special shout out to all those ESU responders who put their life and limb on the line to help keep us safe.

This guy fortunately was not hurt when this transformer exploded,

Transformer.jpg

Last edited:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
If they are trying to figure out where to start with "infrastructure renovation"---North Carolina would be a darn good candidate right now.

JN99

Hang Fire
Very sad to see this anywhere but it sort of hits home a little to see such destruction in NC. My mom lived for her last 20 years or so in Wilmington before passing away in 2015 and luckily never saw a storm like this. The area was on my list as a possible spot to retire but with these storms getting more frequent and more destructive I think, sadly I'll no longer be considering that.

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Hope all is safe and sound with you Carolina boys… Things like this tend to put everything else in perspective… And yet another reason why this forum is the best...

P.S. I can make a beer run for you kids in need!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
P.S. I can make a beer run for you kids in need!

Thanks! Beer was first, third, fifth, sixth and seventh on my emergency plan. Last Thursday, I bought enough to hold me over for three weeks. I'm just about out.
I have a note to contact the Jack Daniels distillery and see if I can buy a barrel of Gentleman Jack before the next hurricane. Oh, and I bought beef jerky, too!

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Thanks! Beer was first, third, fifth, sixth and seventh on my emergency plan. Last Thursday, I bought enough to hold me over for three weeks. I'm just about out.
I have a note to contact the Jack Daniels distillery and see if I can buy a barrel of Gentleman Jack before the next hurricane. Oh, and I bought beef jerky, too!

I don’t know why but for some strange reason I knew you would be first to jump on my offer… And for some other strange reason, I knew you would be well stocked/prepared!! Glad all is well!

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Very sad to see this anywhere but it sort of hits home a little to see such destruction in NC. My mom lived for her last 20 years or so in Wilmington before passing away in 2015 and luckily never saw a storm like this. The area was on my list as a possible spot to retire but with these storms getting more frequent and more destructive I think, sadly I'll no longer be considering that.
My 1st choice outside of Arizona would still be North Carolina---I love that state---my direct family landed in N.C.. in 1710---and owned pretty much everything from south of Myrtle Beach, S.C. to Sandy Creek, N.C. they lost it all to the "YANKEE CARPET BAGGERS"-after the civil war. So they have hurricanes--so does Florida, Alabama, Louisianna,Texas. California has there fires and earthquakes . (I'll chance the hurricane inland -I can afford a boat--I can't afford a CASE 550 back hoe to dig out).
Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma got there tornadoes---all the rest have "BRUTAL WINTERS". I do kind of like Southern Utah
but they got to many "DRY COUNTIES"---plus if you move to N.C. PAPA's beer stash is available.;)

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
My 1st choice outside of Arizona would still be North Carolina---I love that state---my direct family landed in N.C.. in 1710---and owned pretty much everything from south of Myrtle Beach, S.C. to Sandy Creek, N.C. they lost it all to the "YANKEE CARPET BAGGERS"-after the civil war. So they have hurricanes--so does Florida, Alabama, Louisianna,Texas. California has there fires and earthquakes . (I'll chance the hurricane inland -I can afford a boat--I can't afford a CASE 550 back hoe to dig out).
Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma got there tornadoes---all the rest have "BRUTAL WINTERS". I do kind of like Southern Utah
but they got to many "DRY COUNTIES"---plus if you move to N.C. PAPA's beer stash is available.;)
Don't forget Georgia!

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

My dad was born and raised in Wilmington, very close to Wrightsville Beach. He was considering moving back "home" to retire. He passed away a year and a half ago, now. I remember spending a couple weeks there a few times as a kid, visiting his mother.