Amps Build Your Own Damn Amp Workshop

david moon

Attempting the Blues
The kit by itself without the workshop is $750, if you think you already have the skills.

Looks like a pretty good deal for someone that needs the instruction. Plus you pay travel lodging and meals. But hey, that's true of Griff events.

LosBassMan

"Bottom Feeding since 1996"

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I would be worth it if they helped to make sure you soldered it correctly and everything was wired correctly. New production you don't have the assumption that everything goes where it's supposed to. A wiring error can make it very hard to debug. Plus if by chance there was a problem I would assume they would be there to help fix it.

It's a lot of money for just a good tube amp. they can be had cheaper. But to have built it yourself, and to be enabled to build another is pretty cool.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I would be worth it if they helped to make sure you soldered it correctly and everything was wired correctly. New production you don't have the assumption that everything goes where it's supposed to. A wiring error can make it very hard to debug. Plus if by chance there was a problem I would assume they would be there to help fix it.

It's a lot of money for just a good tube amp. they can be had cheaper. But to have built it yourself, and to be enabled to build another is pretty cool.
With point to point wiring? Where?

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
You can buy the whole kit for $750.00 and there are video's on how to build it there as well, build your own cabinet and it's even less

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
The idea that point to point wiring is better is wrong. PCBs have inherent noise reduction capabilities. Wires are bad. The wonderment is that people like Leo Fender could make such great sounding amps using such horrible building techniques. He must have trial and error'd the wiring layout and routing over and over to get his designs as quiet as they are.

You can buy an old amp that uses point to point for that same money. If you buy something other than Fender or Marshall you can get it cheaper. In fact you can buy a used Dr. Z for that kind of money.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Not all parts are created equal. I do trust Mojotone, and Tube Depot, and even Ted Weber. Be careful about great deals on ebay though.

Also make sure a 5E3 is the amp for you?

If it comes to STL I may pay my son's tuition. His becoming a Rock Star isn't working out, although he has the lifestyle down! (Minus the money and travel.)

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Also make sure a 5E3 is the amp for you?
Good advice. I love the 5E3 circuit and sound of it, but it is not a highly versatile amp in its stock form - pretty much a one trick pony - but if you like that sound, it probably does that sound better than anything else (IMO).
When I scratch built mine, I made some modifications to increase its versatility, like.
multiple levels of switchable negative feedback for increased headroom and tighter bottom
voiced channel 1 stock but added a switchable coupling cap after the first preamp to give it a tighter bottom end
voiced channel 2 similar to a Marshall JTM45
added switch selectable solid state rectifier
and a few other little goodies to improve it, including a master volume control.
These made it a much more versatile amp. Not sure if they would indulge that kind of activity in one of those building classes.
If you go it on your own, you need to know what you're doing - but then you don't need the class in the first place.