Hurricane Florence

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Hurricane Florence looks to be a bad one. Any news from our fellow BGUer's? Carlos in Beaufort,
Bill in Myrtle Beach, Papa in Monroe area I believe. Who else in the path?
Best of luck. Stay safe!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Hurricane Florence looks to be a bad one. Any news from our fellow BGUer's? Carlos in Beaufort,
Bill in Myrtle Beach, Papa in Monroe area I believe. Who else in the path?
Best of luck. Stay safe!

If it stays on its current course, Kevin (@Crossroads) and Bill O. will take a major hit. If the track veers north by any amount, Carlos (Los Bass Player) will get very windblown and wet. There is actually quite a contingent for this one. BignJames, Doug E, Cam Thompson and a few more.
When I lived in Florida for 30 years, I dealt with a few of these storms. While you never take them lightly, you learn that stressing out doesn't do you any good. Our move to North Carolina was delayed by Hurricane Irma in 2017. We're coming up on a year in the the new place, so it's only appropriate to celebrate it with another storm.

I fully expected to live out the rest of my days in Florida and all that it is, when my wife suggested North Carolina...
"Move to North Carolina, she said...
They only get a little bit of snow in the winter, she said...
But you're trading all that hurricane preparation for a little cold weather, she said..."

I'm not complaining.

Thanks for the good will and kind thoughts. To everyone else who may end up enjoying this storm, be safe and stock up on your favorite junk food and alcoholic beverage. I have my stash of Snickers, Cheetos and Gentleman Jack. I'm in!

Rick23

Blues Newbie
Stay safe everyone. I'm from NJ, but we are in the Outer Banks this week for our annual family vacation. Got here Saturday evening, and being evacuated today. Sad to cut it short, but not worth taking a chance by staying, so on the road again in an hour or two. We'll start the countdown to next year when we get home tonight.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Stay safe everyone. I'm from NJ, but we are in the Outer Banks this week for our annual family vacation. Got here Saturday evening, and being evacuated today. Sad to cut it short, but not worth taking a chance by staying, so on the road again in an hour or two. We'll start the countdown to next year when we get home tonight.
If you visit the outer banks again, you need to hook up with losbassman (Carlos and his wife Hope) they're great people and play around the Beaufort area

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
They just had Hurricane Mathew 2 years ago----my son lives in Raeford---about 80 miles inland and they took a beating---this one looks like it might be a little worse---Hope all the Brothers are running for cover or at least tying down the sails. Later

sloslunas

NM Blues
Boys, this is a major catastrophic storm on your doorstep (not fake news!). I certainly hope that you are taking the necessary steps in keeping your family and home safe. If the unbelievable winds don't get you...3 feet of rain certainly will... considering that the ground out there cannot take much more rain...trees will be falling (major, major danger!). Batten down the hatches, keep your heads down in the wind (flying debris is very dangerous), and definitely have some contingency plans!!

Steve

PS. It would be a wise decision to send all of your gear to me to get it out of harms way (and above water!). Once things dry out in a year or two I will send it back. Always willing to help my brothers out...

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
PS. It would be a wise decision to send all of your gear to me to get it out of harms way (and above water!). Once things dry out in a year or two I will send it back. Always willing to help my brothers out...

What a thoughtful guy! You always have my back! Thanks!

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Yeah they are forecasting this to be the worst disaster to hit the mid Atlantic ever. Seems like we just finished getting roads and bridges repaired from Mathew. Well hopefully just of the grid for a week or so, as opposed to multiple weeks.

You forget how spoiled you are with electricity till you don;t have it for a while. Water and gasoline are already in short suppl, and we're still two days out. There were fistfights @ Lowes in Fayetteville today when a load of generators came in.

Looks like this one is gonna be a hoot. Stay safe everyone! :Beer::Beer::Beer:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Yeah they are forecasting this to be the worst disaster to hit the mid Atlantic ever. Seems like we just finished getting roads and bridges repaired from Mathew. Well hopefully just of the grid for a week or so, as opposed to multiple weeks.

You forget how spoiled you are with electricity till you don;t have it for a while. Water and gasoline are already in short suppl, and we're still two days out. There were fistfights @ Lowes in Fayetteville today when a load of generators came in.

Looks like this one is gonna be a hoot. Stay safe everyone! :Beer::Beer::Beer:

Maurette and I were wondering last night what your emergency plan is. From this morning's update, it looks like you're going to be in the thick of things.
I spent most of yesterday fixing the cobbled together mess the previous owners had set up for their generator hookup. My new wiring passed the smoke test, so we can keep most of our creature comforts going.
Stay safe, Kevin and stay in touch!

Wildwood

Playin' Blues
My wife and I are planning on driving to Hendersonville, NC next week (leaving Sunday) to visit some friends. They are far enough west I think they should be ok but who knows, we might be helping with clean up. Stay safe everyone.

LosBassMan

"Bottom Feeding since 1996"
We are hunkered down here in Beaufort for the duration, down to a cat 2 105 max sustained winds, what we have to worry about here is surge of 9'-13' we are 15' above ground on our second floor that is our main living area, what I am worried about is some stupid family members that are staying in a low area prone to surge but you can not tell them anything! Power has already flashed and expect to loose it anytime now. Slow moving storm does not look good for us here in Beaufort or for Kevin, inland river flooding is a major problem with 20"-30" of rain. Everyone around and in the path of the storm be safe and have a plan.
It's going to be 2-3 days of some rough weather.

Carlos

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Looks like we're dodging the bullet down here on St. Simons Island. Stay safe Carlos, Hope, Kevin, and all my other friends who are going to be impacted by this. Sending positive thoughts your way.