Counting is the hardest thing

CVTOT

Blues Newbie
I have a very hard counting when I play guitar. When I play drums I have no trouble counting, but I tend to sing the count when I play guitar and that throws me off all the time. Especially when I bend a note, I extend that note for the whole bend instead of continuing the count. Anybody else have a similar problem, especially with a workable solution?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Slow everything down until you reach a BPM where you can do it, then slowly speed it back up.

Now, If I could only take my own advice, I'd be able to count while playing. At this point I usually just count the rests.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Counting? Counting....... is tough...... I'll start out counting and then stop..... I'm lucking to get through 1/2 of a song and still be counting. But it's what I need to do....

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I have a very hard counting when I play guitar. When I play drums I have no trouble counting, but I tend to sing the count when I play guitar and that throws me off all the time. Especially when I bend a note, I extend that note for the whole bend instead of continuing the count. Anybody else have a similar problem, especially with a workable solution?

The only thing that works for me is to first count while listening and not playing -- several times. After that, I can pick up the guitar and have some hope of being able to count it out loud while playing.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I think its one of those things, you just have to sit yourself down and force the count.................I listened to music and counted with it until I felt it going smooth, then added the foot tap, then strumming the guitar with all strings muted, then bring in the chords, worked for me

StevenRoper

Blues Newbie
I'm on the first few lessons and really concentrating on the counting . Its challenging but I reckon its pretty important for progress later. Who would of thought that counting to 4 could be so hard .... plus the other stuff you gotta do with yuor fingers. loving it

paul wilson white

BLUES.THE POWER OF ALL MUSIC
Counting while playing is easy if your Griff lol.
But I don't seem to have a problem with counting and rhythm I think.
But as for soloing the counting goes out the window for some reason which is a problem.
When I have a lesson with griff online it's easy to follow him counting but out on your own where no one is counting out load is a challenge but over come it I will

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I hope this helps with the counting problems. As per Griff....no metronome. Play any jam track or make a loop. Now play only the 1 and count but don't play the 2,3,4. Moving your arm up and down to the beat. Also tap the foot. After a couple of minutes play on th e2 only and keep the motion going. Then the 3, then the 4. You will hear how it sound different on each beat.

Now add say 1 and 3 to the mix. Then 2 and 4. Do any combination you can think of. Keep counting out loud, foot tapping, arm moving in time.

I bet with in a very short time many of the counting problems will disappear.

Just my thoughts on developing a good rhythm base.with solid time.

Tom45

Blues Newbie
I have the exact problem as you. After over 5 years of trying, I still can't count out loud, but I can whisper the counts instead. Don't know why, but that's just the way it is for me. I have learned to tap my foot to the beat and that seems to help. "Sitting Easy Blues" is a good slow beginner lesson for learning how to count. If it wasn't for that lesson, I probably still wouldn't be able to keep time today. Stick with it, and it will eventually help you to keep time.