Pedals/Effects Another very interesting mini pedal!

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Another very interesting mini pedal!
Pigtronix Disnortion Micro.
https://pigtronix.com/product/disnortion-micro/

I found a mint condition used one on Reverb.com for only $50.00 and couldn't pass that up. When it gets here I will compare it to the Xvive Sweet Leo on my new mini-mini board, and use whichever one I like best. Pretty sure it will end up being this one because of its "808" capability which is lacking on that little board.

Yes, I admit it, I am a pedal whore. :whistle:

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
It's a similar concept as this https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-...be&utm_medium=video&utm_campaign=-lHp0i4X3msM from Fender. Dual gain stages that can be series or parallel. The Fender is cheeper but bigger and uses two distortion rather than a gain and fuzz. Pay yer money and take yer choice.

cheers

Al.
Well, Al, between these two, for my application there is no choice. The Fender pedal may be great, but it is not a mini pedal and simply won't work on this board. Beyond the mini pedal requirement is also the location of the jacks on the pedal. I checked out the Ibanez mini 808, but it won't work because of the location of its jacks. Ditto for anything in the '808' camp from Donner or Mooer, etc. Any of those have the jacks directly opposite of the jacks on my two other Xvive pedals which would mean adding another full two inches to the width of the board, then it wouldn't fit in its case. This little Pigtronix pedal has the jacks in the same locations as the Xvive pedals so I know it will be interchangeable with the Sweet Leo.
IMG_0599.JPG

Last edited:

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
As I said pay yer money take yer choice. I find it an interesting pedal. However it is twice the price than the Fender. I find with these flexible pedals (apart from a few that have presets) they are set and forget as you can't really be fafing about changing settings all the time. So I would rather buy two cheeper pedals that get the sound I want than 1 that can get any sound where you just end up using one sound anyway. My current "pedalboard" is the carpet so no issue with size there:rolleyes:

cheers

Al.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I agree that most all pedals will end up being pretty much set and forgotten about. That's why I prefer a pedal board … one stomp, one sound, get what you want with one stomp. Or maybe two stomps if stacking a couple pedals. The main attraction for me to this pedal is its '808' capability, which is totally lacking on my existing little board. It will almost certainly be set there and left set there. I will be attending a lot of Boise Blues Society jams, and they give you 5 minutes to get your amp and all your gear set up on the stage … and another 5 minutes to get all your stuff off the stage when your set is done. So a bag full of pedals and cables and one spot or the like just won't do.

paul wilson white

BLUES.THE POWER OF ALL MUSIC
Pedals now here is a subject for discussion.
I have pedals and lots of them so I'm with you guys.
But I still love to just plug straight in to the amp crank it up and use my volume and tone controls the sounds are just unbelievable but again that said nothing like a great blues driver and a nice delay pedal to set the highs going or a nice distortion or fuzz to get down and growl those riffs out.
I'm hooked bring me another pedal :Beer:

paul wilson white

I agree that most all pedals will end up being pretty much set and forgotten about. That's why I prefer a pedal board … one stomp, one sound, get what you want with one stomp. Or maybe two stomps if stacking a couple pedals. The main attraction for me to this pedal is its '808' capability, which is totally lacking on my existing little board. It will almost certainly be set there and left set there. I will be attending a lot of Boise Blues Society jams, and they give you 5 minutes to get your amp and all your gear set up on the stage … and another 5 minutes to get all your stuff off the stage when your set is done. So a bag full of pedals and cables and one spot or the like just won't do.

I think it is great how you have made a small pedal board to fit the job in hand.
I play at the uk blues society and local blues clubs on jam sessions so time is key.
i know what your saying .so I think that's a great idea.
Let me no how that pedal works for you if you don't mind always good to learn about pedals people buy

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Pedals now here is a subject for discussion.
I have pedals and lots of them so I'm with you guys.
But I still love to just plug straight in to the amp crank it up and use my volume and tone controls the sounds are just unbelievable but again that said nothing like a great blues driver and a nice delay pedal to set the highs going or a nice distortion or fuzz to get down and growl those riffs out.
I'm hooked bring me another pedal :Beer:
I really relate to this! I don't use pedals all that aggressively. My basic straight-in tone is paramount and my mainstay. I just use pedals to enhance that and add a bit more "character" when needed.

paul wilson white

I really relate to this! I don't use pedals all that aggressively. My basic straight-in tone is paramount and my mainstay. I just use pedals to enhance that and add a bit more "character" when needed.

Totally Agree with you.
That is my belief on pedals they enhance the sound when you choose to use them.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Totally Agree with you.
That is my belief on pedals they enhance the sound when you choose to use them.
I doubt very much if I will ever have the drive knob on this pedal past about 9 o'clock. The Tube Squasher is a bit different, it is a LOW gain full-range pedal to just provide a bit of break up to a CLEAN Fender style amp without mucking with its tone. Even with the drive maxed it doesn't get "real hairy". And the Golden Brownie is on the opposite end of that spectrum … only reason I have that one is for classic rock "Marshall" stuff … and "hairy" is just part and parcel to that "game". I do like a good SRV kind of thing, and I am pretty sure that the maxed out Tube Squasher stacked into this pedal on its '808' setting will provide that. If need be, when I want that sort of thing, I can just bend down and crank up the drive on this pedal to taste.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I'll be glad too! Well, maybe not because I probably won't be done done until I'm 6 feet under. :ROFLMAO:
Reverb.com found a defect in the used pedal I bought, so they refunded my money. Bought another one from Musician's Friend this morning that is open box but in mint condition.

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, the Pigtronix Distnortion pedal got here, and even though it's driving some of you batsh*t, I am in love with it! I replaced the Sweet Leo with it after only playing it for a half hour. With the fuzz rotary knob set to "None", it is a very pleasing full-range OD, not "British" sounding at all like the Sweet Leo was, and a bit more "raunchy" than the Tube Squasher. It stacks very well with the Tube Squasher without a big tone shift. So on this little board that gives me three levels of full-range gain without touching a knob. Rotate the fuzz rotary knob one notch and it becomes an "808" pedal with the mid-hump and stacking the Tube Squasher into it still results in a "TS808" tone but with just more gain. If I want "British/Marshall" all I gotta do is stomp the Golden Brownie on with or without the other two stacked into it. Perfect.
IMG_0606.JPG

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, I ain't done yet! Another iteration is in the works. My mission is to end up with a self-powered mini board that WILL do EVERYTHING that I need it to do for a good jam. It will be just very slightly wider (6 3/4" X 9 1/2"), chuck the Bodyrez in favor of a Moor mini pedal (Hustle Drive [OCD], Blues Mood [BD2], Green Mile [TS808], whichever I'm in the mood for at the time … can be swapped one for the other in 5 minues), and add a Flashback Mini delay with their analog toneprint. You will just have to wait until I really have it DONE to see it. Yes, there really is such a thing as DONE.

Here are the three MOOER pedals that will be quickly interchangeable on this new mini board (less than two minutes to swap one for the other).

Besides, I just want to drive you all batsh*t crazy.
crazy-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I have been playing with these pedals extensively. I have to be honest and express my newfound bad opinion of the Pigtronix Disnortion Micro. In all honesty I now advise to NOT BUY THIS PEDAL. Why? It has an overall very DARK tone. I liked it when I first tried it, but when put in the mix swapping from one pedal to another it is very dark relative to others even with its tone on full treble. Also, if you set the drive or level up high it squeals like a stuck pig. And it is NOISY when not playing. On top of all that, it draws a whopping 318 milliamps!

No matter how careful you are listening to demos and reading reviews, every so often you get a real pig for your efforts. This one is definitely a pig. Compared to the other three Xvive pedals in this thread, it just plain sucks. And those three only draw 15-18 milliamps each.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Also, if you set the drive or level up high it squeals like a stuck pig. And it is NOISY when not playing. On top of all that, it draws a whopping 318 milliamps!
All of those things would suggest to me it has some digital circuitry in there somewhere. My Digitech DF7 has those symptoms if powered off a daisy chain with other pedals it doesn't like. Try it with an isolated power supply and see if it works better. Though I have just googled it and other people are experiencing the squeal, one even with an isolated power supply. Maybe the internal voltage uplift from 9 to 18V is causing issues if the power is on the limit.

cheers

Al.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I tried it as the ONLY pedal on the power supply … with three power supplies. Same thing no matter what. It's going in my "Big Stupid Aho" box … not many in there, but a few.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, I got the TC Flashback Mini Delay, tried it with the Big Joe and it works awesome. Fired up the TC editor and downloaded their analog toneprint into it, took all of 5 minutes. Have glorious slap-back delay … and much more if I ever want it. With my hours-long try-out session that resulted in ditching the Pigtronix Disnortion, I also found that there really isn't all that much difference between the Tube Squasher and the Sweet Leo … except that the Sweet Leo is capable of much more "gravely" OD character with its "Growl" knob. A little bit "Marshally" flavored, but not overly so. The Golden Brownie is pure Marshall. So … I am opting to use two Mooer pedals and two Xvive pedals on the board. It will be pedals in this order: Mooer Green Mile (TS808), Mooer Blues Mood (Boss BD-2), Xvive Sweet Leo, Xvive Golden Brownie, Flashback mini.
With these pedals, the Big Joe Lithium will power the board for 14 hours.

I have a Green Mile, and it lives up to these videos.

Found a used Blues Mood on Reverb.com, will be here in a few days. Doubt very much if I will be disappointed in it if it's anywhere close to these videos.

I went ahead and wired it all up for a pic using my Mooer Hustle Drive where the Blues Mood will be. Power cable to the Sweet Leo was unplugged for the pic (ooops). But the board works just awesome … happy camper.
IMG_0610.JPG

Last edited: