Amps For those who belive in the holy grail the Valve amp

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
depends what amp you have surely lol kt66 el84,,and always remember whatever "brand" you buy of modern valves they are all made in just three factories world wide

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Heh. Love my Nace and I've become a "tube whore" but not to the point I have a preference in particular ones. I just love how the amp sounds.

So, no input from me on this one, other than that observation. :Beer:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Ok, I''ll play.

My Blackstar Artist 15 has a pair of 12AX7's in the preamp and a pair of 6L6's for the output.

The stock tubes were Ruby's and they sounded fine but I decided to try a set of JJ's and I think they sound a bit warmer so I've stayed with them.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Well, I guess this thread isn't for me. :Beer:
Jim, your newfound discipline and restraint is admirable. :D

Paul, I'll play only to the extent of saying that without lots of additional information, all responses you might get are meaningless and applicable only to the responder's personal taste, situation and use case. At this point, we know nothing about yours, so what can anyone say that makes sense?
If you want meaningful answers, you have to ask better questions.
I am not being negative or snippy or anything like that - it's just a fact.

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Only recently began learning about what tubes are what.

Have a Fender Concert II that last time I had it serviced about 7 years ago, had Groove tubes put in them. Couldn't tell you what tube types were used where.

Picked up a Mesa Mark V: 35 earlier this year and had a tube issue so I had to delve into the tube set and pick up some replacements to test etc. This is a new amp, so they are Mesa branded tubes. The preamp section is comprised of 6 12AX7's and the power section uses four EL84s.

That all said, I couldn't tell you what different tubes would do, etc.

All I know is that there can be a certain creaminess that comes when everything is working right.

And it makes me sigh happily.

And I learned something new... there are only three factories that actually manufacture them all. I'll have to look into that more... maybe.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
All my amps use 12AX7s in the preamp position.
I've experimented with lower output preamp tubes such as 12AT7s and 12AU7s.
For my studio work I found those to be very good but, I've never used them outside the studio.

For power tubes my # 1 amp uses a 6V6GTs , it's a reproduction of an early 50's Fender and I like the clean tone I get from it.
My #2 & #3 amps both use EL84s, I'm not very good at describing tone so, I'll just say they the sound different from the 6V6s, maybe a little more bark or growl on the breakup.