PA monitors

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Okay, So I took my fender acoustisonic amp to guitar center and traded it straight across for 2 Kustom Pa Monitors, 50 watts, 10"woofer and 4" horn. I only had the fender to run the acoustics to the PA anyways, and was hating the sound, we could never really dial it in.

I purchased instead a Behringer DI 1800 8 channel rack mount DI

Anyways, the monitors.............I just have them daisy chaining off the mains right now, but my mixer does have subgroups out. The plan at the moment is me on electric, the other guitar player on acoustic, with me grabbing a acoustic for a few songs also.

What is suggested to feed the monitors, the acoustics and vocals, or one or the other. I am also getting ahead and setting the rack up so the bass player and I can ditch our amps if need be, and use our rack effects (11r and behringer v bass).

Out of all that, what would generally be sent to the monitors ?
Drums are not an issue at this point

I can honestly say, learning the mixer and gear, is harder than the guitar itself

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
What you want in the monitors is what you want to hear, obviously yourself, then the others want to hear them selves, then your's or their ears start canceling things out so that want more of this or that and that escalates until the guy running sound is bat shit crazy, puts his headphones on and decides what your going to hear

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
What you want in the monitors is what you want to hear, obviously yourself, then the others want to hear them selves, then your's or their ears start canceling things out so that want more of this or that and that escalates until the guy running sound is bat shit crazy, puts his headphones on and decides what your going to hear

ummmmmmmm, one issue with that, I am the sound guy

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
Monitors are just what they state, devices to monitor what is happening on stage. Some like to have just their guitar and vocals at a minimum level others like everything, like our bass player at church, he wants the congregations experience blasting back at him on stage. I try to keep monitor levels at a minimum so the sound guy can mix out front and not be fighting the monitor bouncing off the back wall. I can catch most of the other instruments and vocalists peripherally. I'm a monitor minimalist though so my opinion probably differs with others and more experienced artists.

paul wilson white

BLUES.THE POWER OF ALL MUSIC
I agree with the guys above it is what you want to hear.
But for me I don't entertain monitor speakers Ive got 2x 500 watt pulse with 6 inch horns and a 15 inch woofer but I tend to use in ears but when I do use then I have both on a triangle shape in front of me I have the vocals and me coming out of the left one and I have the bass and drums through the other.when it's 2 guitars only I'd have me and the vocals in one and the other guitar in the other one but that is just me

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
so, when using multiple..............I can hear bass and drums fine, the guys at the blues jams taught me a lot about using the kick drum to count.

So, I would probably want the acoustic I cant hear well, and the vocals in my monitor, and give him my guitar and vocals on the other side ?

LosBassMan

"Bottom Feeding since 1996"
I'll just say this: just remember that the least amount of gear you bring to a gig--the better! We sometimes do not even bring a monitor, it just depends on the venue we are playing, we have played private parties were we just set up one main and that is it. I have found that the more people at the gig chatting and yelling, the more you need the monitors to here what's going on, I found on e-bay a set of 600 watt 10" powered speakers, I think they were one-offs because I can not find them anymore, if I could I would buy another set, they are what we use most of the time, sometimes at outside gigs we set up with a set of 15" 300 watt powered speakers. I have 3 aux sends that I use off the mixer for our monitor mixes, most important is for the singer to be happy with what they hear from the mix in front of them, I can tell you from running sound for other bands that some singers are a pain in the ass, they want the mix so loud that feedback is just a breath away. You are right about the learning curve on running sound, it's been 5 years for me and I still don't know nothing!

Carlos

paul wilson white

BLUES.THE POWER OF ALL MUSIC
so, when using multiple..............I can hear bass and drums fine, the guys at the blues jams taught me a lot about using the kick drum to count.

So, I would probably want the acoustic I cant hear well, and the vocals in my monitor, and give him my guitar and vocals on the other side ?

I think that this would be best if you can not hear it then you can not play with them so I think your suggestion will work for your set up.
But also agree with less gear the better and it does depend on the venue and each venues accoustic sound basically how sound bounces around in each venue as this can be hard to get right.
I don't know if this is available where you live,but I payed 15 English pounds an hour at a local recording and live sound studio to learn how to set up and understand mic positions and mixers,rack effects and drum mics I found it worth while.
one thing I found with acoustic guitar is what you hear is not what the crowd hears,depending on the acoustic natrual sound of the building and some is times best to mic the acoustic at the 14 th fret and plug in direct to pa via the mixer giving the sound guy the best option to get the right sound I also understand this is not always easy in certain venues.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I think that this would be best if you can not hear it then you can not play with them so I think your suggestion will work for your set up.
But also agree with less gear the better and it does depend on the venue and each venues accoustic sound basically how sound bounces around in each venue as this can be hard to get right.
I don't know if this is available where you live,but I payed 15 English pounds an hour at a local recording and live sound studio to learn how to set up and understand mic positions and mixers,rack effects and drum mics I found it worth while.
one thing I found with acoustic guitar is what you hear is not what the crowd hears,depending on the acoustic natrual sound of the building and some is times best to mic the acoustic at the 14 th fret and plug in direct to pa via the mixer giving the sound guy the best option to get the right sound I also understand this is not always easy in certain venues.
thats a brilliant idea, ask to go to a studio

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Anecdotal- My bother has a band. three vocalists, 2 female one male, 2 acousitc guitars, one multi-percussionist, some times a keyboard instead of guitar. Their big thing is vocal harmony. When the sound man says I can give you all individual monitor mixes, they say no give us the house mix and let us balance the sound with our mics.

http://moonmusicband.com/
Looks like your family is blessed with musical genes.(y)

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Looks like your family is blessed with musical genes.(y)
Or maybe just a lot of exposure at an early age. My Mom was the director of the children's choir at church, so of course we all had to be in it. Had some piano lessons early but it didn't take for me. My brother went all the way to a degree in classical organ. Other siblings are musical to varying degrees. With my kids it seems to have skipped a generation.