NGD - My First Strat!

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I am now officially a Stratocaster owner!
(golf applause...) :rolleyes:

Though I’ve never been a Strat fan, I’ve always admired the look of a Strat.

But the very rounded fretboard radii of most models along with that damned middle pickup have always kept me from getting all amped up about them but that doesn’t mean that I’ve never wanted to own one.

It just needed to be the right one and I think I’ve found it!

It’s a 2017 Deluxe Stratocaster (formerly the Deluxe Players Strat) and from what I understand the model was revamped and re-released in its present form in 2016.

I happened upon this guitar by accident while cruising the ‘net for Fender amps and I had the word “deluxe” in the search and “Deluxe Stratocaster” popped up and I thought I’d take a peek and the first thing that caught my eye was the color -- that beautiful transparent sapphire blue!

The second thing that got me was the ‘70’s headstock. I know a lot of folks don’t care for the big headstock but of all the Strats ever made I’ve always liked those big headstocks because even though they’re not “vintage”, I think they fit the guitar better.

So I went on reading expecting the usual blah, blah, blah but this was different. First there was the little micro switch between the tone knobs that allows the bridge pup to be engaged in the 4 + 5 position which allows for some extra voicing. Then there’s the very light mint green pickguard which is a nice touch instead of the usual white or black. There’s also nickel hardware with locking tuners, ash body, maple neck (with a contoured heel), 6105 frets, noiseless pickups, a two-point trem, aged plastics and finally -- the thing that sold me on everything – the 12-inch fretboard radius!!! (y)(y)(y)

Every Strat I’ve seen either has the 71/2” or the 91/2” or a compound radius and, until now, I’d never seen a Fender with a 12” radius and that was the final ingredient in finding “My Strat” and I immediately went to Sweetwater and ordered it!

The only mod I made was to change the strings from the original 9’s to a set of 11’s and to have the trem set up accordingly. I just got the email from Taylor at Sweetwater that my order has shipped so now it’s up to UPS.

Can’t wait!!! :D

Here are some pics of the actual item from Sweetwater:

Sapphire.jpg

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
That is a VERY nice guitar, JP. I had a Deluxe Player 12" radius neck on my MIM Strat for a couple years and really liked it. And now … time for the "JPsuff meets tremolo" story. :)

Last edited:

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I almost bought one myself. But we were in CA and went to the Fender factory and they have a trial area. I grabbed one of those and I didn't like it. I think it was the flat fretboard that put me off. Love the color. I think back then Deluxe Player's had gold hardware, and they were purrrrrteeee! But it just left me flat. No pun intended.

I usually prefer the compound radius necks, but my Longboard Strat has the 12.5" and I love the feel of that.

Congrats on your new guitar. The thing that amazed me was just the feel of the body. It is so dang comfortable with the forearm and belly cuts. The balance when hung from a strap is just perfect. I think it is just about the perfect shape for a guitar.

Enjoy!

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
She's a beauty. No doubt you are anxiously awaiting delivery. Good luck for many years of music with it! Congratulations

Shodai

Blues Junior
I have a Deluxe Players Strat, 12" radius, in transparent red, with the smaller headstock. (Never liked that big 70s head stock)

I think you'll like the tonal flexibility of that little switch. I know I do.

Enjoy it!

Last edited:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Does it come in black? :whistle:

Seriously, I love everything about that beauty, including the added toggle. Congrats! :Beer:

Thanks everyone!
All of your responses make me feel I made a good choice!

Oh and Mark, I gotta tell you that when I saw that mini switch the first thing I thought was that it was quite "Spinny-esque" and I said to myself, "Mark would love this!" :)

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Nice!
GA.gif
Got my first strat a few years ago and I love it.
Always been a humbucker guy but now I've slipped past the strat to a tele and I love it.
I would never consider any radius less then 12" but my tele has 9.5 and I'm not finding any draw backs.

Looks like you got a nice one.
Enjoy