Solo 1 Video

JffKnt

Blues Newbie
I posted a Solo 1 recording previously. I think that version is faster than this one. I think this one is 100 BPM. I think the other one I did was north of 130. I'm so used to playing the other faster one that I thought this would be easy. No. I'm ahead of the beat in spots.

This is all in one take, no over dubs or anything. But I think it took me around 6 or 7 takes to get this one. I think each successive chorus/solo get better (but maybe that's just my imagination).

I did this over Griff's jam track for Solo 1 "Full Length Jam Track". I started the first chorus playing rhythm and alternated rhythm and lead all the way through. I think that I played the rhythm 5 time and the lead 4.

I still sound like a "student" but there are parts that are getting close to sounding good. I have a ways to go yet.

Here's the link to the video https://youtu.be/XQNDBHLPDp8

Thanks for listening!

JffKnt

Blues Newbie
artyman, PBear, James, and jmin, thanks for watching and thank you very much for the comments.

I've been working on this solo for probably 6 weeks now to get it to this level of competence. The most difficult parts for me are the last 3 notes in lick 1 (it shouldn't be hard, but it is for me) and I had/have trouble with lick 6, again it ain't that hard, but I had a lot of trouble with it.

As far as the vibrato and finishing the last notes to licks, I kind of picked that up from Griff. I did his first BGU Labs Workshop and he suggested to me that I need to finish notes and other stuff. I wasn't even really aware of it until he pointed it out. Hopefully I took what he said to heart and I'm able to put it to practical use.

It takes hours to put a 4 minute video up on the internet. Of course I'm not that good at it, but that's how long it takes me. Have to get everything ready. Light, camera, tripod, mic, amp, yadda yadda yadda, Then I record into my computer in addition to shooting the video. Then "mix" the recording. Then import the recording into the video software. Then get it the imported audio and video all together. Then render and upload to YouTube. It takes a while.

I do appreciate the feedback. Thanks again.

Last edited:

JffKnt

Blues Newbie
Dog, thanks for watching and for your comment.

That's my favorite guitar to play. It's an Epi Les Paul. Not a Gibson, but it's still pretty nice to play.

As far as the tone, that little Vox tube amp can be overdriven pretty good. But there's a little box on the top of the amp. It's called AMPLIFi TT made by Line 6. I don't have any pedals. The tone comes from that box in lieu of peddles. I don't really know how to use it though. It can connect to a smart phone via bluetooth, and it has an ap. You can control the tones (virtually unlimited) using the ap. It comes with 4 pre set tones. I'm using the 1st preset for the tone in this video. I boosted the mids and compressed it in my DAW after recording. But the tone pretty much comes from the amp and that AMPLIFi TT box.

Here's a link if you want to check out the AMPLIFi TT https://amzn.to/2JmY0Rf

(BW)

Better off with the Blues!
Sounded great the whole way through! Rhythm and lead! I tend to gas out after circling the block a few times and just turn the jam track off but you went the whole time and even had an awesome turn around at the end.

JffKnt

Blues Newbie
I was able to do the Count Bassie ending fine on this one, but I messed it up on Video Solo #3 (Eyes Closed). I thought I knew it cold, but I guess I don't.

After I learn the solo and can play it pretty well, I like using one of Griff's jam tracks so that I can switch between rhythm and lead. That's probably a little more "realistic" than just playing 24 bars through 1 time. Playing through a solo one time with no mistakes is great, but I like to try to take multiple passes at it interspersed with rhythm and see how close I can get it. After all, one of these years I may have to show up at Griff's jam, and I don't want to crash and burn--he makes videos--yikes! :eek:.

I'm close to playing Solo #5, slow speed playing with Griff. But I just got the latest bright shinny object to distract me. Blues Speed Building Blocks. So I'm going to be putting time in on that and set BGU 2.0 aside (again) for the time being.

(BW)

Better off with the Blues!
Sounded great the whole way through! Rhythm and lead! I tend to gas out after circling the block a few times and just turn the jam track off but you went the whole time and even had an awesome turn around at the end.
That is a great way to practice that I think I am going to adopt. Playing the whole jam track with Rhythm and Lead. Thanks!

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I also see you've got the pinky working on the rhythm parts. That's really hard for a lot of folks.

You might want to try staying on the neck pickup and just cranking the volume (or stepping on a pedal) for the solo. It sounded a bit thin, but technically nothing wrong with the playing.

If you ever get to a Griff event, I guarantee:

You will have fun

You will meet great people

You will flub that solo that you know hands-down :unsure:

You will get a chance to play with your "peers" and the "pros".

JffKnt

Blues Newbie
Thanks for listening, David. Virtually the only way I played since I was a teen was strum an acoustic. Electric and lead is somewhat new for me. I don't have any pedals. Sometimes I see Griff changing pick ups going from rhythm to lead, so that's what I was doing.

I'd like to get to one of Griff's events "someday" but honesty, I don't know if I'll ever get the chance. If I think I can swing it, I'll be there but if it doesn't happen I'm okay with that as well.

Thanks again for the feedback. I appreciate it.