Not Blues - piece by James Horner

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Beautiful. I enjoyed his work, and still listen to the soundtrack from Avatar. Some folks raised a fuss about his work on that film but, to my mind, they were "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." His untimely passing was yet another sad loss.

A toast to your lovely tribute, sir. :Beer:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
What's your recording technique on this one?
Knowing that I liked a lot of his stuff, a friend of mine had given me the violin score to the piece a few months prior to me doing this. I was off the afternoon that his passing was announced, so dug out the score, spent a couple of hours working through the melody (no tabs - sometimes my sight reading is a bit slow) and then working out the chords and the general idea of how I was going to play them, and then set a mic up and hit record on the multitrack. Recorded the first guitar (the classical) to get the basic accompaniment going, then switched to a steel string for the melody, then added the third guitar (more steel string) just to add a little counterpoint in places and fill the sound out a little bit. I read somewhere once to set the mic on the neck around the 12th fret and point it back towards the sound hole, so that's how I did that.

Going back and listening to it a couple of times since I posted it the other night, and I think there are some spots that are a bit rough, but overall it wasn't bad for a couple of hours of work. I'm actually thinking of going back and redoing it now and trying to make it better.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
You might hear some rough spots, but it sounded perfect to me. As you describe, you were "in the moment". I suspect if you try to make it better you will just be frustrated.