Lesson #21 - Old Mississippi Blues (...got even older)

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Well this was a tough one...but, then it seems like everything acoustic is! I really wanted to get this lesson done today, and take an acoustic break with Griff's June Challenge...on electric!
I decided to slow it down from 82 bps ton78. I kept rushing the higher speed, and making even more mistakes!

...Old Mississippi Blues

Thanks for listening!

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Thanks for listening and the kind response! Well, if by "backing track," you mean "the crickets" - guilty! I was goofing around with this acoustic stuff, and thought that the "river music" might need a few crickets (yeah, I drink too much). Anyway, aside from the fx sounds, it's all me. That's the cool thing about this course. You really can play "all by yourself," - but it's a pain! ;)

JffKnt

Blues Newbie
I think it sounded really good. I've never been able to play it that well. Maybe I'll get back to it after I work on BGU 2.0 some more. I wouldn't worry a bit about shaving a few BPM off the tempo. Who's going to know? And who's to say it doesn't sound better at 78 instead of 82 BPM. I think we are all our own harshest critics. And the crickets were perfect.

Do you do video? You might be able to have some fun with it if you were to give it a try. I think I might do some more.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I think it sounded really good. I've never been able to play it that well. Maybe I'll get back to it after I work on BGU 2.0 some more. I wouldn't worry a bit about shaving a few BPM off the tempo. Who's going to know? And who's to say it doesn't sound better at 78 instead of 82 BPM. I think we are all our own harshest critics. And the crickets were perfect.

Do you do video? You might be able to have some fun with it if you were to give it a try. I think I might do some more.

Thanks Jeff! No, I haven't done a video. And I'm always reminded of some old-timers quote about "having the perfect face for radio!"
I use my Mac and GarageBand for everything and try to keep it simple. I'm always amazed at how you guys manage to put together some decent, quality videos. Thanks for the comments!

(BW)

Better off with the Blues!
Dang!!! That was awesome. Love the feel from the crickets in the background. Awesome sound quality and playing! Well done!

Ivan

Blues Newbie
Hey jmin. That was awesome. Been away for awhile but always nice to hear some really good acoustic playing. I’m thinking about jumping back in to this course. Your playing is an inspiration......

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Hey, Ivan thanks! Glad to see you’re back! I would think that you’d do really good with the acoustic, considering your “smooth” style of playing. And congratulations...I read that pot is now legal in your country! That can only help your guitar playing (or at least your audiences perception).

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Jim- that was really good, right in time , no hesitations.

I just listened again, and that was REALLY good.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Jim- that was really good, right in time , no hesitations.

I just listened again, and that was REALLY good.
Thanks David! Knowing that an accomplished bass player thinks I’m “right in time” makes me feel like I’m doing something right.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Thanks for listening and the kind response! Well, if by "backing track," you mean "the crickets" - guilty! I was goofing around with this acoustic stuff, and thought that the "river music" might need a few crickets (yeah, I drink too much). Anyway, aside from the fx sounds, it's all me. That's the cool thing about this course. You really can play "all by yourself," - but it's a pain! ;)
I might have replied to this before. Coming off the NE jam, I'll say this was a damn good performance. The crickets were a plus.