Thoughts from a novice

Peter Wynne

Woke up fell outta bed drag a comb across my head
I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversary of purchasing BBG and starting the Blues journey which began on my work assignment in the UK. I spent the better part of that time working through the BBG material then recently, after i attended the Allen TX live Blues Jam, i started into BGU 2.0 and recording each of the lessons. After listening closely to the member feedback of posting those recorded lessons I learned that i was not staying true to Griff's instruction - Practice it, count it out, memorize it, count out loud, own it.

So i decided to go back to BBG and play each of the major lessons until i own it. I found the material in BBG is easier to get through all the steps beginning to end. I have to say that i have re-begun (if thats a wordiage) this effort 2 months ago and i am to stay this road until i can own at least 4 of the BBG lessons. For fun i do the same steps of 1 lesson from S&RM, lesson 7 from BGU (where i stopped), 1 lesson from PS&TM, and finally "Old Standby Blues". Counting and staying in time keeps me at a slow pace until i can memorize the melody and notes while the fingers and pick hand find the right strings.

For those players starting out i would highly recommend following the steps Griff outlines until you can own the material. I cant say that the last 2 years has been for naught as i learned over the time that the Blues is where i want to stay and enjoy.

Sorry for the long posting but i had to get this out :)

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Keep it up Peter! I like you methodology! I like to go back from time to time and review my lessons. I need to get back to many that I've not done in several years....... So many courses. Griff is fairly prolific now with his curriculum...... And then I really want to do the arpeggio course next. :Beer:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Good work, peter! Figuring out what you need to work on and what you want play is half the battle. And, you owe it to that beautiful guitar of yours to get really good at it! Enjoy!

Hi Peter, haven’t seen you on the forum in a while. Please tell me your guitar isn’t sitting around gathering dust while you spend all your time workin’ for the man.

If you got in a rut on BBG, that course Griff gave you at BGU Road Trip in Dallas is suitable for your experience level too. It wouldn’t cover all the basics as well as BBG to be sure your foundation is good, but the lessons are playable for you with practice and you’d probably enjoy them.

Peter Wynne

Woke up fell outta bed drag a comb across my head
Jeff - Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I have, indeed, been practicing every day learning my way through various pieces of music while keeping up the count. I recently started in on The Spent Money Blues to see if i can learn, memorize, and play in time. Yes, work does get in the way but i carve out time each day to get the fingers to do what the brain is asking. So far, i have not felt in a rut as i have plenty of coursework to keep me interested for a long time. My goal is to return to a live event and be able to keep up and play a solo or two.

Also thanks for reminding me to stay active on the forum.

Cheers