Solo 3

JffKnt

Blues Newbie
This is my first recording of Solo #3.

I'm playing over Griff's jam track that comes with the lesson. It's 10 choruses long. I play rhythm on the 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th choruses. I'm using the little chords from lesson 4. The exact 2-string chords are shown on page 19 of BGU 2.0 if you have the hard copy.

So I play the 24-bar lead 3 times.

I finish with Griff's "Count Basie" ending.

As far as the lead goes, I don't own it yet, but I'm working on it. I've been working on it for about 3 weeks.

I recorded all 10 choruses in 1 take. Not the 1st take, but it's all done start to finish in one take. No overdubs or any fancy stuff to clean it up. What you hear is how I played it.

I didn't use an amplifier. I plugged my guitar (a funky Mexican Tele) directly into the audio interface.
After I recorded it, I separated the the rhythm and lead parts and put each one on its own track.

I used an amp simulator in my DAW for the lead guitar part. I also used EQ, compression, and a little lite reverb to get the sound. I don't own any peddles so I do what I can to get some semblance of a "sound" in my DAW.

For the rhythm guitar, it's clean. I did add EQ and compression, but that's it. I also switched to the bridge and neck pick ups for the lead and rhythm.

Maybe I'll re-record it after I get better at it.

https://soundcloud.com/jeff-kent-895100572/bgu-solo-3-jeff-kent

That is a long piece, impressive that you got it in one take. You played it just like the lesson, and I enjoyed the ad lib sound effects. Nice sample !

JffKnt

Blues Newbie
Nice job- you really stayed right in the pocket with the rhythm section

The 2 string "little chords" are easy to play. And the chords are all together on 3 adjacent frets. Super easy to play. That frees you up to think about timing instead of thinking about where to put your fingers. Thanks for your comment and noticing the rhythm guitar work. Now if I can just get the lead down....

Last edited:

JffKnt

Blues Newbie
That is a long piece, impressive that you got it in one take. You played it just like the lesson, and I enjoyed the ad lib sound effects. Nice sample !

Thanks for your kind comments WIT. I like playing around in my DAW. There are some sounds that I added to this.