2018 BGU NE Jam V is official !!!!!

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
first of all, big shoutout to Kathleen (Gibsongirl) and her husband Craig for putting this together..:)...I figured getting it out of Maine would make it easier travel for some but we will be back in Maine in the future...btw, If you haven't met Gibbygirl and her husband, you are in for a treat...these are two wonderful people/hosts and they like to party...just saying...

now for some actual details...

Date: Friday and Saturday -July 21 & 21 - "official" jam days
Thursday - early blues jam...(y)... and Sunday - some brunch maybe?

Closest airport - Albany, NY (about 60 miles away)

Kathleen is working on securing some hotel space just for us but we would like to have some idea of who plans on coming...so

if you are seriously interested, please email me at "longneckbottleclub@roadrunner.com" ...it would be great if you would also include forum name, mailing address, email, and cell phone number...this saves a ton of time later...need to also say that even though there are no registration fees, I will be passing a jar around to help offset Kathleen and Craig's costs...in the past $25-50 will cover about everything...everyone has stepped up in the past...

obviously there will be a lot more info coming in the near future but we figured the more lead time everyone has, the better...

my apologies if the dates don't work for you but securing the venues, etc. makes it difficult...later.

cowboy

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Damn! I would really like to have gone to this one, but my nephew is getting married on the 21st in Seattle. Back in my college days, we used to go to Lake George every summer. Had a great time there (at least, what I remember of it). :D

david moon

Attempting the Blues
That looks like a great driveable location for most of New England and NY. From my place in CT its about 140 miles. Hell, even from Washington DC is about 400 miles.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
That looks like a great driveable location for most of New England and NY. From my place in CT its about 140 miles. Hell, even from Washington DC is about 400 miles.

Just checked. It's 850 miles for me and just a few days after our wedding anniversary. I won't have a handle on this until probably the last minute.

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior
First of all thanks to all who've already put some time and thought into this. This is more than tempting since it would only be about a 3 1/2 hour drive for me. The only thing is we have a gig on Thursday night and this is also the weekend of the yearly Grassroots Festival here. I'm gonna have to think about this.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Gonna have to miss this one as we have the whole month of July booked. I'm sure everyone will have a GREAT time!

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I had a bad moment when I remembered my sweetie booked us a cabin on Loon Lake for a week around then. Anniversary getaway. Fortunately it’s the week after this.

Last edited:

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Unfortunately, I'll also have to miss 2018 BGU NE V. The last one (IV) in 2014 was as much
fun as I have ever had. Cowboy was first class all the way. I'm sure he and GibsonGirl will
do us all proud, especially if they recruit another beer meister.

Gibsongirl

Gibsongirl
I totally understand if, for any reason, the NE jam isn't feasible. I had to bow out of California this year, it just wasn't in the budget.
For those of you on the fence, permit me to share a few enticements. I don't want to give out all the surprises, but this should wet your appetite.
Thursday: Blues Jam at a local tavern. (Lawrence Street Tavern) 7- 11 pm. This is a well run blues jam, and a great opportunity to play with local professional musicians. Everyone gets a chance to play, usually a 40- 50 min set if you should so desire. Depending on how many musicians show up, you can usually count on getting "on stage" at least twice. Great group of guys, very supportive, and have helped me in my journey immeasurably. If we get a good turnout, I'll spring for pizzas.
Friday and Saturday,all day, we have full access to a brand new renovation theater. (The Strand; in Hudson Falls, NY) For those of you familiar with the area, picture the Palace Theater in Albany, just a bit smaller. State of the art sound and lighting, a huge stage, great acoustics, I could go on and on. Friday and Saturday night, I'm trying to schedule a "concert" of sorts, a chance to see the local pros show their stuff, and hopefully give everyone a chance to do an "all star jam", akin to playing a song with Griff and his band in California.
Might do a Master Class if folks are interested: 2 hours/ 25$ with Hui Cox (A fabulous teacher, Grammy nominated producer, toured with the Temptations and has played the Royal Albert Hall).
Would also like to do a cruise on Lake George; (if folks are interested), bearing in mind that we all want to play, and my efforts will be towards maximizing those opportunities.
My husband has been known to brew a tasty libation, I'll see what he can bring to entice this crowd.
I hope to have hotel info within the next week or so.
Cowboy and I look forward to welcoming you all this summer; it will be a great opportunity to play the blues and spend some time with really good friends.
GibsonGirl.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Thanks for the insights, GG! Might I ask your favorite Gibson rides? As a relative n00b to these parts I don't have a lot of context with the regulars. :Beer:

On the jams...will there be room for some of us upstarts who don't have soloing chops yet? I can handle a passable rhythm stint in 12 bar in about any key. I'd like to have some soloing progress to report by then but the business life may or may not co-operate with my desire for practice time.