What else are you kids in to??

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I used to spend a substantial amount of time and money taking beat up bikes and making them not so beat up.

I was working on this one when the guitar bug finally bit hard, delayed it's "done" date by about six months. Here's where I started;
View attachment 3664

Here's how it looked when it was done.
View attachment 3665

I'm scaling back on the bikes though, going back to my roots as it were. My dad was a motorhead back in the day, I inherited it and started out with cars. Now I've got this in my basement, more along the lines of what my dad played with. Still needs a little work, get back to me in a year or three...
View attachment 3666
Cool!
Nice work:thumbup:

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
This has been a cool read...
- Beautiful boat Captain...
- Desmo, i remember you doing the bikes years ago ... You do amazing work.. Love that Ducati even before you did your magic..

DesmoDog

Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy
Thanks for the comments, for a lot of years I was obsessed with bikes in general, Ducatis specifically. If I was single, that bike would be sitting in my living room. But I'm not, so I ended up selling it to someone who has it on display in his repair shop. They do a lot of work on old Porsches and such. And it gets ridden once or twice a year.

That is one smart looking Ducati, circa 1960's I would guess

Yep, it began life as a 1966 Monza Jr but the bodywork it ended up with was from various late '50s and early '60s models. I loved how it looked but with 160cc of Italian power (my walk behind lawn mower has a bigger engine) it was rarely the bike to choose for a leisurely ride. The good news was you could play boy racer and ride it as fast as you could, everywhere you went, and no one noticed. The throttle stuck open once. Wide open! First reaction was "YIKES!" followed by a giggle when I realized it wasn't a big deal. Didn't bother hitting the kill switch. I figured out what might be wrong, unstuck it, then stuck it again to make sure I knew what the problem was. It is probably the only bike I've ever owned where that process was an option. The bad news was, with barely double digit horsepower you were always in someone's way. And that someone didn't always notice a bike the size of a moped right away. THAT said, a couple of my most enjoyable rides were on that bike, wringing it's neck to get by some big twin Harleys on a twisty back road between our hotel and the Barber musuem in Alabama. I highly doubt the other guys knew we were racing but it still counts!

To put it in perspective, my "everyday" bike has 145hp, which is still 60hp shy of (some of) the guys I ride with. When I started riding, 100hp was a lot. These days that's the dumbed down "low power" mode for riding in rain. Yes, they have power modes now. Push a couple buttons and it trims 50hp, softens the throttle response, turns up the traction control and makes the ABS instrusive enough you can't even lift the rear wheel under braking. Push them again and you've got full power with a hair trigger throttle, traction control will let the back end slide and the ABS will let you stand it on it's nose with two fingers on the lever. Mess with it more to get any combination of the above or just turn it all off if you really want to party. As much as the latest tech fascinates me, it wasn't electronics that got me into bikes. That may be part of the reason I'm backing off now.

In any case, the last bike I bought is a throwback to the height of my fascination with these things. A 1991 Ducati 851. The holy grail when I was buying my first bike. Out of reach then, too expensive, too comitted, too much for a new rider. Now it's just another slow old bike. The thing is, it's just as fast now as it was then! Funny how expectations change. This is NOT my everyday bike BTW. (Though I would love if it had 145hp...)

851Termi_m.jpg

As long as I'm rambling, Here is my garage right before the sell off started, there are a couple more project bikes in the shop. Only two of these remain.
IMG_2239.JPG

Kevin, the Monza Jr is at ArborMotion in Ann Arbor. I got a bit more than 150 for it. ;) But there's no way I could put together another one for what it sold for. :(

IMG_2280.JPG

Last edited:

deejaid

Blues Junior
Some really cool and varied hobbies here guys. Really nice.

I don’t have much time for other hobbies than playing guitar. I do like “assembling” guitars. I like finding cool vintage parts and making something fun out of it. I have an LP Junior hanging in the workshop that still needs a few passes of clear shot but unfortunately didn’t get it finished before the cold weather came.

I got into traditional woodworking about 2 years ago and enjoy working wood with 19th century hand tools. I’ll probably take a break from doing any guitars for awhile and concentrate on building some things for around the house.

Those are my “at home” hobbies since I am a full time dad to three little girls. When I do get a break and get out of the house I like to see concerts and play golf.

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
About 5 years ago I decided to relive part of my childhood and get a model train setup. At first it was just going to be some track laid out on plywood, but before long I was into it a lot deeper than originally planned. Turned into a two year project! I watched a lot of how to videos online and read a lot of train magazines in the process. It's nowhere near as professional looking as the pictures in the magazines, but it turned out better than I anticipated. This layout was going to be my "practice" layout, with plans to tear it down and build a permanent one in a dedicated room. That has never happened. The train layout has been relegated to to back corner of the basement and guitars have pretty much taken over my hobby time.

Here is a short video of the train in action for those interested. HO scale.

Train

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Here is a short video of the train in action for those interested. HO scale.

I've always loved those setups and appreciated the people who have the time and patience to put something like that together. But I don't have the eye or attention to detail to pull off something like that. I'll always be one of those guys who looks like an 8 year old kid when seeing a well set up train layout.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
My wife and I love history. We travel a lot and are currently into French/European history. I tend to like military and political history...my wife is really into architectural history.
I have also been trying to learn French the last few years.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Speaking of boats, Ray Milland was visiting the San Francisco Bay Area, and was interviewed years ago. At one time he had an apartment in Monaco, and enjoyed looking out over the many yacht's in the bay below. He decided that one day, he would own such a craft.

After owning a boat (yacht) for a short time, Mr. Milland came to realize something about boats. He said, "A boat is a container you fill up with money, to keep it afloat"! :(

Tom
The version I heard was something like " a boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into"

EJG

Central NJ
Well my job is kinda like a hobby to me. I like to think about statistical model choice. I also like talking philosophy and cognitive science with my son. And I'm a huge fan of the Yankees, NY Giants, Knicks, and all Rutgers sports. But mostly I like playing with my granddaughter.

Wildwood

Playin' Blues
My problem with hobbies is that I seem to be a 'jack of all trades...master of none' kind of guy so I never get very prolific with any of them (...insert guitar playing here). I'm good but not great.

I have been a model train geek since I was a kid but several moves have made it tough to keep a layout going. I have played golf most of my life but put the clubs away 3 or 4 years ago due to a pinched nerve in my back. I've done a lot of woodworking over the years and have assembled a great collection of tools. I love to build things and do a lot of remodeling and upgrades to our properties.

I am very involved in the lives of my two boys (now 21 and 26) and coached both their basketball teams when they were in middle school (a long time ago) and still watch/follow college/pro basketball (and hockey) with both of them.

But most of my free time in recent years has been spent with my wife at our lake cottage (pics in the Put a Face to the Name section). Always working on something there to improve the experience (recently built a fire pit).

I am also a partner in a business which keeps me quite busy.

Oh yeah...and then there is that guitar thing :cool:

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Thanks for the comments, for a lot of years I was obsessed with bikes in general, Ducatis specifically. If I was single, that bike would be sitting in my living room. But I'm not, so I ended up selling it to someone who has it on display in his repair shop. They do a lot of work on old Porsches and such. And it gets ridden once or twice a year.

Too bad you couldn't swap for one of those old Porsches... Nice looking collection...

Yep, it began life as a 1966 Monza Jr but the bodywork it ended up with was from various late '50s and early '60s models. I loved how it looked but with 160cc of Italian power (my walk behind lawn mower has a bigger engine) it was rarely the bike to choose for a leisurely ride. The good news was you could play boy racer and ride it as fast as you could, everywhere you went, and no one noticed. The throttle stuck open once. Wide open! First reaction was "YIKES!" followed by a giggle when I realized it wasn't a big deal. Didn't bother hitting the kill switch. I figured out what might be wrong, unstuck it, then stuck it again to make sure I knew what the problem was. It is probably the only bike I've ever owned where that process was an option. The bad news was, with barely double digit horsepower you were always in someone's way. And that someone didn't always notice a bike the size of a moped right away. THAT said, a couple of my most enjoyable rides were on that bike, wringing it's neck to get by some big twin Harleys on a twisty back road between our hotel and the Barber musuem in Alabama. I highly doubt the other guys knew we were racing but it still counts!

To put it in perspective, my "everyday" bike has 145hp, which is still 60hp shy of (some of) the guys I ride with. When I started riding, 100hp was a lot. These days that's the dumbed down "low power" mode for riding in rain. Yes, they have power modes now. Push a couple buttons and it trims 50hp, softens the throttle response, turns up the traction control and makes the ABS instrusive enough you can't even lift the rear wheel under braking. Push them again and you've got full power with a hair trigger throttle, traction control will let the back end slide and the ABS will let you stand it on it's nose with two fingers on the lever. Mess with it more to get any combination of the above or just turn it all off if you really want to party. As much as the latest tech fascinates me, it wasn't electronics that got me into bikes. That may be part of the reason I'm backing off now.

In any case, the last bike I bought is a throwback to the height of my fascination with these things. A 1991 Ducati 851. The holy grail when I was buying my first bike. Out of reach then, too expensive, too comitted, too much for a new rider. Now it's just another slow old bike. The thing is, it's just as fast now as it was then! Funny how expectations change. This is NOT my everyday bike BTW. (Though I would love if it had 145hp...)

View attachment 3671

As long as I'm rambling, Here is my garage right before the sell off started, there are a couple more project bikes in the shop. Only two of these remain.
View attachment 3672

Kevin, the Monza Jr is at ArborMotion in Ann Arbor. I got a bit more than 150 for it. ;) But there's no way I could put together another one for what it sold for. :(

View attachment 3673

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I've talked about my RV habit before; that's a spring-summer-fall thing for us. In winter, I teach skiing at the Sugarbush Resort ski area in Vermont. So including music I am into three heavily gear-centric activities - luckily, my wife is also into all of them!