Wall Hangers

Elio

Student Of The Blues
October 17th, 1989. World Series! Earthquake in the bay Area. All our furniture (Steinway Piano, etc) moved 5 feet towards the North East. I think that wall hangers in our state are not the best answer to guitar storage. :( I can see guitars jumping over the hangers and that is not a nice thing to think about!

Tom

I use these, which automatically open up when you remove the guitar. They came with these little plastic locks and keys, which at the time I thought were kind of laughable, since they're so easy to force open. Then, I figured out that locking closed actually solved my earthquake concern.
20171217_115549 (2).jpg

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
The case is probably best. But such a pain. And you can't survey your harem if they are all hiding.

I have a hanger on the wall with just the white plastic things, the kind that screw in first. You have to be careful not to let the white anchor break the surface of the drywall. But I have it holding my PRS CE 24, my 2nd best guitar, at least $$ wise.

As far as things hanging sideways. I used to fly airplanes and another pilot once told of the time he was in Texas. he said in Texas it was always windy, real windy. He said one morning he woke up and looked outside and the flag was hanging limp. he suspected maybe the wind had stopped? That was supported by the fact that all the cattle in the field next to the airport had fallen over on their sides. But when he looked at the windsock it was straight out like normal. They had long since replaced the normal windsock with a piece of logging chain, which worked much better in Texas winds. But here the windsock was straight out? So he went out to investigate and he found that the logging chain had rusted solid in the sideways position!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I'm really enjoying this thread. My early plan to renovate our utility building probably isn't going to happen and I'm tired of all the three point floor stands. Chuck's solution looks like something that might work for me.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I use these, which automatically open up when you remove the guitar. They came with these little plastic locks and keys, which at the time I thought were kind of laughable, since they're so easy to force open. Then, I figured out that locking closed actually solved my earthquake concern.
View attachment 3533

Yep, same here. Although it would take a pretty major earthquake to get a guitar to jump out of one of those hangers, even without the locks. I use the Hercules stands with the locks as well.

One thing you should consider checking with any wall hanger or guitar stand, especially if you have nitrocellulose finished guitars (like Gibsons), is that the foam rubber is not reactive with the nitro (as some of the cheaper stands and hangers are). The Hercules stuff has no such issues.

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Anyone mount wall hangers directly to drywall using anchors? Any problems?
Don't do it.
I've tried it and they eventually pull out of the wall.
I mounted a nice piece of 1x4 directly to the studs then mounted the wall hangers on the 1x4.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
The drywall thing is not the way to go----Find your wall studs behind the sheet rock/drywall..----most interior walls are firred out 16" on center--(I have seen 24" center but not to often). Once you have figured out where the studs are. (start in a cornor and work your way out then use a 1/8" drill to make sure you are hitting WOOD). screw your hanger into the stud. measure over 16" 32" 48" 64" 80"so on-so on. what ever width you need. If you are hanging them flat just allow for the width. If you are using angled hangers 16" should be sufficient but make sure they are long enough to leave body clearance.
Everything will be perfectly spaced... and make for sure all the hangers are on a level line other wise it's gonna look like a ham-job..

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I will be mounting it to the studs with long sheetrock screws. The instructions say the ends of the "boards" must be anchored as well regardless of whether or not that spot is over a stud, so plan to use long "togge anchors" in those spots.

gpower

Blues Junior
These are the anchors I have holding mine (225lb shear strength x 4):

0.jpg

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
What do you call a few guitars? I never have more than 2 out of the case. Or usually one is on the stand when I watching TV, just for a quick grab while working on scales or finger exercises.

Methinks this idea cuts into personal space. My rack holds eight guitars, and the ones over that number face triage in terms of what do I think I might want to experiment with this week. The ones I don't think meet that metric stay in the case in the storage room.

I'm thinking the decisions regarding what guitars are set out for quick grab, and what ones are cased for later, are very personal.

gpower

Blues Junior
I have six on my wall (it'll hold up to eight on one 4' channel) and another 6 on a floor rack with 2 on stands.

I rotate different electrics to one of the stands with my Seagull acoustic on the other.

BignJames

Blues Newbie
What do you call a few guitars? I never have more than 2 out of the case. Or usually one is on the stand when I watching TV, just for a quick grab while working on scales or finger exercises.

I think I've got 22. I recently completed a dedicated studio and am moving most of my gear there.I have 2 floor racks that hold 7 each. I'd like to get them off the floor to free up space. When I'm finished I'll be able to reclaim my spare bedroom and 2 closets.

The Reverend

Blues Newbie
I think I've got 22. I recently completed a dedicated studio and am moving most of my gear there.I have 2 floor racks that hold 7 each. I'd like to get them off the floor to free up space. When I'm finished I'll be able to reclaim my spare bedroom and 2 closets.

Nice to see another member with a problem. I have 35, and always looking for more. I hear you about space. My friend who has as many as I do joke about opening up a music store. We're not going to sell any guitars just buy. LOL.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Huck, I think you and I need to get together and compare stables.