Band Members.

The Reverend

Blues Newbie
Wondering, how do most of you go about finding band members? So you look for a certain age and style? Also how far would you travel for band practice? I found that most guys won't or don't like to travel more that 20 mins. from home. Me, I've been known to go an 1 to 1 1/2 hrs just for a good jam. Not talking about a full time money making band, just a group of people with the same music interest. And may-be an occasional gig.

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
I have never been able to make that happen. My work and travel because of it, has always gotten in the way of trying to get anything going. Even open mics and such are mid week and usually well past my bed time.

I do have a solo act I put together for local pubs and when out camping but I haven’t been able to get anything else going. Maybe that changes with retirement.

The only time I’ve jammed and played with anybody has been the BGU Live events and I try very hard to make them all.

The Reverend

Blues Newbie
I have never been able to make that happen. My work and travel because of it, has always gotten in the way of trying to get anything going. Even open mics and such are mid week and usually well past my bed time.

I do have a solo act I put together for local pubs and when out camping but I haven’t been able to get anything else going. Maybe that changes with retirement.

The only time I’ve jammed and played with anybody has been the BGU Live events and I try very hard to make them all.

I agree with the open mics, starting to late during the week. Around here they seem to start at about 9:00 pm. Why? I'm always checking for something going on Sat or Sun afternoons. To me it would seem like more guys our ages could make them.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I think meeting people at jams is the best way, but if you don't have any jams to go to, well.............I guess you could look at Craigslist. I'm fortunate to have Sunday jams that run from 6-9.

EJG

Central NJ
Yeah, jams tend to run late. I go to one from 7:30-10:30 on Tuesdays and occasionally one from 8:00-12:00 on Thursdays. I'm usually tired on Wednesdays and sometimes on Fridays. It's worth it.

The Reverend

Blues Newbie
I think meeting people at jams is the best way, but if you don't have any jams to go to, well.............I guess you could look at Craigslist. I'm fortunate to have Sunday jams that run from 6-9.

I myself can't stand Craiglist in the South Jersey Area. It seems like everyone wants to be a Rock Star. The few people I have met on C/L, are either stuck on themselves or can't bend. Two people I can remember a while back ago. One said that we was a lead guitar player (which is what we where looking for) was playing the same chord positions as me. I'd play open, he'd play open. I'd move up the neck, he'd move up the neck. The other guy wanted to play his guitar teacher's songs. We have another musicians sight, Called Bandmix. Which is free to join, but you have to pay to respond to an ad. The problem is most of the guys, who join have forgotten that they had joined. I guess, I'll have to start attending open mic's.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I have really struggled with finding people too. There just isn't a good vehicle for locating people it seems. And when I do, either they have way different interests, or are not serious about it, or have so much other stuff going on in their lives that they just can't do it often or regularly enough to make it worthwhile. I completely understand the last one - that was me for MANY years, and was also the reason I was not able to get serious about guitar until after I retired, so I'm not knocking them - you have to make a living and you have to take care of and be involved in your family.
I wouldn't even try CL - just seems too creepy to hook up with people that way.
There just aren't enough jams in my area to find people that way. For now, I'm stuck with backing tracks and the rare occasion when I can get a couple younger working friends together.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
My last band developed out of a Craig's List connection, but filling out the band trying to use CL was a nightmare, everybody's wanting a paying gig, same with band mix, and several others. It would be great to find a site that just paired up folks of common age and interest, why can't one of you computer guru's whip that up?:whistle:

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
I must be very lucky...
My wife saw an ad in a local newspaper where someone asked for players to join. Well I joined and other locals did to. I now play in two different settings, one on guitar and the other on drums. We meet every two weeks in a real studio just 30 minutes from where I live...
Yes, I’m very lucky.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I must be very lucky...
My wife saw an ad in a local newspaper where someone asked for players to join. Well I joined and other locals did to. I now play in two different settings, one on guitar and the other on drums. We meet every two weeks in a real studio just 30 minutes from where I live...
Yes, I’m very lucky.
I'd call that a miracle!!!!! (y)
Good for you!!

The Reverend

Blues Newbie
My last band developed out of a Craig's List connection, but filling out the band trying to use CL was a nightmare, everybody's wanting a paying gig, same with band mix, and several others. It would be great to find a site that just paired up folks of common age and interest, why can't one of you computer guru's whip that up?:whistle:

Man, how could I forget. Wanting a paying gig. Sometimes play every weekend. They would answer my ad, even though I would state "An occasional gig, 8 to 10 times a year". Some would come aboard, just waiting for the paying band to come along. Well there goes more time wasted.

mpaq

Canfield, Ontario, Canada
Wondering, how do most of you go about finding band members? So you look for a certain age and style? Also how far would you travel for band practice? I found that most guys won't or don't like to travel more that 20 mins. from home. Me, I've been known to go an 1 to 1 1/2 hrs just for a good jam. Not talking about a full time money making band, just a group of people with the same music interest. And may-be an occasional gig.

Heres my thoughts on this based on lessons learned so far... now on my 4th iteration of a jamband. Im in Canada about 1.5hrs south of Toronto

I usually advertise on Kijiji ...a more friendly version of Craigs List. Referrals are better. I occasionally look on sites like Bandmix...often players will put their email in the body of their ad "phonetically" (ie: so and so at geemail dot com) so the bots don't hide it and you can just email them directly and paid membership not required. I actually found a couple really good guys this way.

Always ask for a step above what you want in terms of skill level (every guy who can play a couple campfire songs will call himself intermediate so if you truly want an intermediate player, advertise for late intermediate or advanced)

Because i'm in a rural area, and i'm the host, the average drive is going to be at least a half hour sometimes 45 min. if coming from Hamilton so YES that's a definite impediment to finding players that will actually be reliable/punctual.

Age is not really important to me but I always put my age in the ad in case its important to them. You don't want anyone showing up with any reluctance or attitude/ego. In a jam band its a social thing, not a paying job so ideally you want people that are similar in terms of age/interests etc. but its not critical. I just avoid the younger crowd more for their musical tastes not their age. In fact using the words "retired" right in your ad may get the attention of other retired folks that now have time on their hands...stands to reason they would fit in better and be more dependable to show up.

You will find your biggest challenge may be finding a lead singer. Tough getting someone to come to your house on a weekend just to sing. That means someone in your band has to be able to step up and play and sing at the same time.....a skill in of itself, at least for me anyway! Since im hosting, the onus is upon me so I just do as best as I can. We're currently auditioning a good karaoke singer who had placed an ad to gain experience singing with the dynamics of a live band. Hoping it turns into a win-win.

Style - so long as you can get a groove goin and everyone is having fun, your golden no matter what the style is. Again, the more similar the musical interests the more likely you will "gel" and progress quicker.
But if you want a blues player only, be specific as to what kind of blues (ie: what era, songs etc).

Song selection is a democracy in our group...we each sponsor a song or two at a time that we want to learn and play. Sponsors take the "instructional" lead on their song and make sure everyone knows the time sig, key etc. and has the tabs/lyrics to distribute . This keeps everyone involved and interested since everyone gets to play their favs. If you're hosting, make sure there's something in it for everyone or you'll have turnover.

Last edited:

sloslunas

NM Blues
My only success is at BGU Live events. There, Griff forces other people to play with my sorry *ss. I feel really bad for those poor souls. Purty sure that most asked for their money back after that painful experience...

Steve

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Similar to others my work schedule does not allow me to be consistent for practices and/or gigs. I went through that years ago and was always frustrated when "that guy" let you know 2 hours or less, before a gig, he wasn't gonna make it. So now the set list has to be redone because I don't the range he does. So I always swore I would never be "that guy".

In addition to jams when I was up north, I connected with a few guitar groups on https://www.meetup.com/ We would play out in a club or bar similar to an open mic (wouldn't get paid) :( but sometimes in beer :Beer::Beer::Beer:. Because we met regularly. you could team up with people, and one group used to have themes. Like one week would be " Songs from the 60's" or "Singer/Songwriter Songs". So if you look you may be able to find something there.

There is also Bandmix https://www.bandmix.com/ You can build a profile, search for other musicians to jam with, or bands looking for a player. When someone joins in your area they will send you an email letting you know.

Both of these services are free, although Bandmix has some premium stuff you can pay for, if you want.

Many local music stores have bulletin boards and/or free periodicals which show where jams, are and musicians looking for others.

And then there's always grab your guitar and go down to the park, or the beach, and sit down and play. I've met a number of great people like that.

Good luck.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
My only success is at BGU Live events. There, Griff forces other people to play with my sorry *ss. I feel really bad for those poor souls. Purty sure that most asked for their money back after that painful experience...

Steve
It has been my great pleasure to play with one of my best friends, Steve. I should have had to pay extra for the experience.

Last edited:

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Similar to others my work schedule does not allow me to be consistent for practices and/or gigs. I went through that years ago and was always frustrated when "that guy" let you know 2 hours or less, before a gig, he wasn't gonna make it. So now the set list has to be redone because I don't the range he does. So I always swore I would never be "that guy".

In addition to jams when I was up north, I connected with a few guitar groups on https://www.meetup.com/ We would play out in a club or bar similar to an open mic (wouldn't get paid) :( but sometimes in beer :Beer::Beer::Beer:. Because we met regularly. you could team up with people, and one group used to have themes. Like one week would be " Songs from the 60's" or "Singer/Songwriter Songs". So if you look you may be able to find something there.

There is also Bandmix https://www.bandmix.com/ You can build a profile, search for other musicians to jam with, or bands looking for a player. When someone joins in your area they will send you an email letting you know.

Both of these services are free, although Bandmix has some premium stuff you can pay for, if you want.

Many local music stores have bulletin boards and/or free periodicals which show where jams, are and musicians looking for others.

And then there's always grab your guitar and go down to the park, or the beach, and sit down and play. I've met a number of great people like that.

Good luck.

You mentioned Meet-ups, I just tried them again in kind of my area, and found two groups I'm going to check out

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Well I answered an ad on CL for somebody that that played, a little more mature and wanted to hook up a couple of times a month. I said I was interested but it turned out to be something all together different than what I thought. It turns out that his idea of Hook-up and mine didn’t mean the same thing at all!

We were almost to the point of exchanging equipment pictures! :unsure:

Well, I agree with the skepticism about advertising on CL for anything!

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Heres my thoughts on this based on lessons learned so far... now on my 4th iteration of a jamband. Im in Canada about 1.5hrs south of Toronto

I usually advertise on Kijiji ...a more friendly version of Craigs List. Referrals are better. I occasionally look on sites like Bandmix...often players will put their email in the body of their ad "phonetically" (ie: so and so at geemail dot com) so the bots don't hide it and you can just email them directly and paid membership not required. I actually found a couple really good guys this way.

Always ask for a step above what you want in terms of skill level (every guy who can play a couple campfire songs will call himself intermediate so if you truly want an intermediate player, advertise for late intermediate or advanced)

Because i'm in a rural area, and i'm the host, the average drive is going to be at least a half hour sometimes 45 min. if coming from Hamilton so YES that's a definite impediment to finding players that will actually be reliable/punctual.

Age is not really important to me but I always put my age in the ad in case its important to them. You don't want anyone showing up with any reluctance or attitude/ego. In a jam band its a social thing, not a paying job so ideally you want people that are similar in terms of age/interests etc. but its not critical. I just avoid the younger crowd more for their musical tastes not their age. In fact using the words "retired" right in your ad may get the attention of other retired folks that now have time on their hands...stands to reason they would fit in better and be more dependable to show up.

You will find your biggest challenge may be finding a lead singer. Tough getting someone to come to your house on a weekend just to sing. That means someone in your band has to be able to step up and play and sing at the same time.....a skill in of itself, at least for me anyway! Since im hosting, the onus is upon me so I just do as best as I can. We're currently auditioning a good karaoke singer who had placed an ad to gain experience singing with the dynamics of a live band. Hoping it turns into a win-win.

Style - so long as you can get a groove goin and everyone is having fun, your golden no matter what the style is. Again, the more similar the musical interests the more likely you will "gel" and progress quicker.
But if you want a blues player only, be specific as to what kind of blues (ie: what era, songs etc).

Song selection is a democracy in our group...we each sponsor a song or two at a time that we want to learn and play. Sponsors take the "instructional" lead on their song and make sure everyone knows the time sig, key etc. and has the tabs/lyrics to distribute . This keeps everyone involved and interested since everyone gets to play their favs. If you're hosting, make sure there's something in it for everyone or you'll have turnover.
Good post mpaq! (y)