Electric Guitars Fender Strat

jgriff

Blues Newbie
For you Fender guys - and gals, I am looking for advice ... shopping for a Strat, $1,000 or less. What model would be a good deal in that range?

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Really depends on what you're looking for...that's an awful broad question. It's almost as general as saying that you want a 4-door car so what should you get. Can you give a bit more info? Are you looking for new or used or does it matter? Anything specific that you really want it to have (6 point trem vs 2 point vs hard tail, SSS vs SSH, a certain neck profile, MII/C vs MIM vs MIA)? Or do you really care and just want a Strat looking and sounding guitar?

jgriff

Blues Newbie
Wa... I'll go with the later. I am looking for a good looking and sounding Strat, used. I have a total of 2 years experience so you lost me in the details.

snarf

I've got 4 Strats, and I haven't been unhappy with any of them. IMHO, if you just want a Strat, here are some of the ones that I would consider.

• MIM Standard - can be had new for $600 or less. Great all around guitar. Don't let the MIM scare you. Got one and after a good setup it's a great playing guitar.
  • MIA Highway One - they quit making these a few years ago, and can be had used for $600 or $700 if you look. Entry level MIA that are great guitars. They put pups in these that were a little hotter than usual. I've got one, and it tends to be my go-to Strat.
  • MIM 50s Classic - can be had new for $700-ish. Great Strat in classic colors with maple fretboards. I forget which one exactly but it doesn't have the usual C-neck shape that Fender uses now (I think it's got the soft-V, but I'm not positive). Another great guitar for the money. Another one that I've got.
  • MIM Road Worn - 50s (maple fretboard) or 60s (rosewood fretboard) styling. Great guitars if you can get beyond the relic-ed look. I've got a Road Work Tele. The similar model Strat is what sold me on the Road Worn series.
  • MIA American Standard - Replaced a year or so ago by the Professional or something. Great guitars. If you find the right store they may still have some and have them less than $1000 new or you can get them all day long on the used market for less than that.
  • The Jimmy Vaughn or Robert Cray MIM signature models. I've never actually held one and played it, but I've never seen either one of these get a bad review. Everyone that has them seems to love them.

snarf

I think we must've hit Reply at the same time, amigo. :ROFLMAO:

If you're just looking for a something that will play nice and has that Strat sound and vibe, honestly, I'd look at a MIM Standard. Brand new they're $600 all day long (or less if you deal a little). That would give you enough cash left out of that $1000 to get it setup properly and then get an amp or a pedal or two or just give you some walking around money you weren't planning on. If you get it new, then you can take it home, play it a week or two, and if you don't like it, take it back to the store. If you get something used, you might end up getting stuck with someone else's tinkering that you didn't notice or, if you play it a week and decide you hate it, you might not have the ability to take it back. If you get a MIM Standard used, then you might actually get away for $350 or $400.

If you prefer something used that should be up the ladder a little bit, honestly, I'd look at that 50s Classic line or a Highway One. Used, either of those should come in easily below $750 or so (maybe even closer to $500) and give you plenty of guitar to play into. Not that it means much, but, if I were in the market for a used sub-$1000 Strat at the moment, those are the two that I would probably be looking at.

jgriff

Blues Newbie
Snarf, I really appreciate your input. That is all I need to know to find what I am looking for. It's nice to have guys like you around to lend help to us newbies.
Thanks again!

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
My favorite MIM Strats are the Deluxe Players Strat. They're assembled in Mexico with American wood and electronics. I've had two, still have one. I like it better than the one American Deluxe that I own. You might be able to get that (my American Deluxe) for $1K.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
You can get an American Standard Strat pretty easy for well less than $1000. Many used go for less than $800 on ebay. Some less than $700. If you know what your looking for it's pretty easy to get a good one just how you would like it.........

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I'd been wanting a Strat since this forum infected me with GAS. I just bought one after years of not really shopping!
I didn't want to spend a lot because I wanted to use it for a trial and an inexpensive travel guitar. They knocked the price down on this one and it had all the stuff I wanted. Now GC has it...
Fender Stratocaster FSR (Fender Special Release - MIM)
So far, it's meeting my expectations...good intro to Fender Stratocaster!

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I'd been wanting a Strat since this forum infected me with GAS. I just bought one after years of not really shopping!
I didn't want to spend a lot because I wanted to use it for a trial and an inexpensive travel guitar. They knocked the price down on this one and it had all the stuff I wanted. Now GC has it...
Fender Stratocaster FSR (Fender Special Release - MIM)
So far, it's meeting my expectations...good intro to Fender Stratocaster!

Hard to beat price on an MIM Strat. Of course I believe that three color sunburst is the tuxedo of guitar finishes. It's new, you can return it and well, what else is there to say?

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
I'll add my recommendation to the American Standard camp, my first Fender and still my only strat, just don't need another one. I also like the MIM's for value, have a tele that's great but if you go that route at some point to you may want to upgrade the pickups, Fender has some great new products.

jgriff

Blues Newbie
My favorite MIM Strats are the Deluxe Players Strat. They're assembled in Mexico with American wood and electronics. I've had two, still have one. I like it better than the one American Deluxe that I own. You might be able to get that (my American Deluxe) for $1K.

Hmmm. Picture?

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
jgriff, I can tell you don't really know your way around a Strat ... yet. But you will. Yes, MIM means made in Mexico, and many say the only difference between Made in Mexico and Made in California is 50 miles. They are like an erector set. There is no component on them that can't be upgraded from any number of parts. Don't like the pickups? Swap 'em out. Don't like the neck? Swap it out. Same with the tremolo, wiring, pick guard, tuners, you name it. I loved my MIM when I got it. Today, all that's left of that original guitar is the body (and there is nothing inferior about the body, it is alder, sounds great and looks great, it is a wine red color that I love). As my playing abilities increased, my ear changed, what I expected from a neck and fretwork changed, and I upgraded my Strat as time went on. I have put five sets of pickups in it searching for my personal "holy grail". Today it has Zexcoil pickups and I fully believe my search has ended. I have put two necks on it. Today it has a one-piece Warmoth birdseye maple neck with medium jumbo frets and a 10-16" compound radius. It has Sperzel locking tuners. It has a Killer Guitar Components Mega-Mass brass bridge plate and tremolo block in it. And it has my own custom wiring in it. So what is my point? Well, if you spend a lot for a Strat in the first place, you'll probably be reluctant to change anything on it for fear of degrading its value. Start with a MIM and you can fearlessly upgrade to your heart's content.

Last edited:

nvr2old

Blues Newbie
I got a beautiful American special satin honeyburst on eBay for $599 last year. It has a small scratch which I call "road worn", maple board and is just a great Strat. My other one is a MIM Kenny Wayne Shepherd sig strat which is also great also for $599 off eBay.