Electric Guitars which is better, a Les Paul or a Stratocater?

Les Paul or Strat?

• Total voters

HoosBlues

Blues Newbie
Well I'm getting in a band and it gives me an excuse to get a new amp. All I have now is aBose L1 and a Fender Excelsior and for some reason I can't get the Fender to sound like I want it to

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Well I'm getting in a band and it gives me an excuse to get a new amp. All I have now is aBose L1 and a Fender Excelsior and for some reason I can't get the Fender to sound like I want it to
That's a 13 watt all tube amp. If it's like my 15 watt Blues Jr it's a fairly clean amp. As I understand are most Fender amps? I like my Blues Jr when I have it going full tilt and over driven. If I can't play it at those high over driven volumes I use an attenuator. The Carvin Vintage series has a "soak" knob that adds as much the over driven sound that you need. What is it about the Fender Excelsior that do can't get right? Clean tones? OD tones?

HoosBlues

Blues Newbie
That's a 13 watt all tube amp. If it's like my 15 watt Blues Jr it's a fairly clean amp. As I understand are most Fender amps? I like my Blues Jr when I have it going full tilt and over driven. If I can't play it at those high over driven volumes I use an attenuator. The Carvin Vintage series has a "soak" knob that adds as much the over driven sound that you need. What is it about the Fender Excelsior that do can't get right? Clean tones? OD tones?
It was real scratchy so I put a match set of tubes in it and that fixed that but I still can't get it to mellow out no matter what what I try. It may be me but I can't play basic rhythm and make it sound good.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
It was real scratchy so I put a match set of tubes in it and that fixed that but I still can't get it to mellow out no matter what what I try. It may be me but I can't play basic rhythm and make it sound good.
I don't know about your playing techniques. If you don't like the over driven sounds, the Carvin Vintage also has the very nice clean tones without using the soak knob. It's what you make it. But we are very far off of this threads topic. If you have anything more feel free to message me.

HoosBlues

Blues Newbie
I don't know about your playing techniques. If you don't like the over driven sounds, the Carvin Vintage also has the very nice clean tones without using the soak knob. It's what you make it. But we are very far off of this threads topic. If you have anything more feel free to message me.
You are correct and thanks

burlew

Blues Junior
It was a trick question from the beginning!!

It's like asking which better, Blonde or Brunette?

Answer. . . .

It doesn't matter, they all go grey over time

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist

Answer. . . .

And when that happens, women have Clairol and we have StewMac.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ

Answer. . . .

LOL...you got it...(y)...kinda like asking which flavor of ice cream is best...maybe that's why I have about two of everything...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...but still makes for an interesting conversation...he could have made an entire series out of this...add in the LP, strat, tele, 335/339, etc and the conversation still goes on...have two of everything and you have no issues...:whistle:...the 335 is still on my "hit" list...later.

cowboy

burlew

Blues Junior
LOL...you got it...(y)...kinda like asking which flavor of ice cream is best...maybe that's why I have about two of everything...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...but still makes for an interesting conversation...he could have made an entire series out of this...add in the LP, strat, tele, 335/339, etc and the conversation still goes on...have two of everything and you have no issues...:whistle:...the 335 is still on my "hit" list...later.

cowboy

Yep.

What you're really saying is let's get a case of beer and talk about it!

db

nvr2old

Blues Newbie
To be fair I have 2 Strats and don't own an LP but have a HB guitar. Voted neither as my holy grail is P90's. Ken

sloslunas

NM Blues
I'm a Strat guy all the way. On a whim, I bought an LP and never bonded with it. It was way too top heavy for my taste. Gave that one away in less than 6 months, and never looked back.

Steve

TwiddleJockey

If she asks - I found it in a garage sale.....

Answer. . . .

It is a trick question - the answer to which is a 335 every time. My cherry '73 is still and will always be a redhead

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I still don;t have a guitar with P90s. I'm working on it (building a Blueshawk) butthat's rather slow...
You need to fix that, amigo!! I've got 3 with P90s in them. One is a Washburn 335-clone that started off with really nasty, muddy pups in it. Swapped them out for some GFS Mean 90s, and that one came alive. Then I got a project guitar given to me a while back that I also stuck a set of Mean 90s in, and it's a whole lot of fun. Third one is a Dano 64 with a P90 in the neck and lipstick bucker in the bridge. That one can be a little harsh sometimes, but, once I get it tamed, it's got some really nice sounds in it. Something about that P90 growl that just gets me every time.

I've never really bonded with an LP, but I've told Mrs Snarf several times that, if I ever get another one, it's going to be a gold top with P90s in it.