Taylor or Martin?

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I wouldn't get too hung up on Martin or Taylor. Especially with an acoustic, find someplace that you can get your hands on a bunch of them and just start playing them. Eventually one of them will speak to you. Every acoustic has it's own voice. Find the one that has the sound you hear in your head.

That said, I've played a LOT that sound really nice. Taylors, Larivees, Breedloves, Gibsons, Seagulls, Takamines, Guilds. They all felt different and had their own distinct sound (to my ear anyways.) Out of those, the Taks and Guilds were my faves. Bang for the buck, the Seagulls were great guitars. The ones that I own are Martins (D-35 and D-15), Boulder Creek Solitaire (very Taylor sounding), a Tacoma Chief (very punchy sound), and an Epiphone Olympic (an archtop with a very mid-heavy sound.)

If you're stuck on Martin or Taylor, then I'm a Martin man. The others have pretty much covered it. Martins tend to be thought of as having that old school, big, round mellow sound (and mine seem to be getting even more mellow as they get older.) Taylors tend to be thought to have that more modern, bright sound. I don't have any experience with the ones that you mentioned specifically, but, and this is just my opinion, rather than looking at their baby versions, I'd look at their regular line but the smaller bodies. Like some have mentioned, take a look at some of the 000 Martins. If you find the right deal, you can find a used one in your budget.

Tony357

Blues Newbie

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Man, advising which guitar another man might like is like telling him which flavor is the best at Ben and Jerry’s AND which topping one should get with it!! Now everybody knows Chocolate Chip is the best!! However, it might not be the right flavor for you!! Nothing really I can add that hasn’t already been said… I would recommend at the very least a solid top guitar… Solid back and sides is nice too but not required.. Solid tone wood improves over time.. Laminates do not (Some say the opposite can occur).. Honestly there are so many great choices out there I would suggest getting out there and trying as many as you can and making it a fun adventure… Based on your post above you might like an 11/16 nut, short scale.. You are going to get a bigger/bolder tone from a larger body guitar versus a small body… In your price range I would definitely recommend looking at an Eastman E10SS.. It’s a slope shoulder short scale, solid Adirondack spruce top/mahogany guitar that emulates the Gibson J-45… Check out the reviews if you can.. I love all acoustic guitars and I have owned way too many over the years. Zager’s, Martin’s, Taylor’s, Eastman’s, Gibson, Alvarez, Ovation’s, Parker, etc… One thing I can tell you for sure is whatever you end up with now, it won’t be your last!! Your Taste in guitars will change over the years.. And we never stop searching for the ultimate acoustic tone… Bottom line, enjoy the ride!! Good luck and keep us posted!!

nvr2old

Blues Newbie
I got a n Alvarez masterworks last year and absolutely love it. Plays beautifully and very expressively for an acoustic. In fact sellling my epiphone mastetbilt as a result.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Tommy Emmanuel uses Maton Guitars.

Tom
I was watching a video of Eric Johnson. He played a Martin to record and a Maton to play live. Like most people he mentioned that Tommy Emmanuel played a Maton live as it's one of the best sounding live guitars. And he used to record with a Martin as that is where Martin excelled....... He also had an inexpensive guitar (I forget the make) that he used in certain situations also. So many guitars, so little time............ Although I play Martins I really see this very simply. Pick the guitar that when you look at it ........... you are compelled to pick it up and play! It really doesn't matter who makes it or how much it cost. If your guitar doesn't "call you" to play it? You wasted your money no matter how much or how little you spent.

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Kinda like Neapolitan ice cream. :D

Never played a Maton acoustic but was pretty impressed with the electrics I tried when I was traveling down under.
My mom raised us on Neapolitan Ice Cream! We never had any other kind in the house. She wanted us to experience and not necessarily enjoy, those three flavors. Perhaps that is why I will not buy it today! :)

My favorite is hot fudge Sunday, with French Vanilla, and hot chocolate syrup. :):):) More is better! :sneaky:

Tom

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
How did we get from selecting an acoustic to selecting ice cream? I'll have a Heath bar klondike please!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
My understating of what makes a good acoustic is very limited.
I certainly like the Matons and have been lusting for one for years.
The notion that they excel in live performances is something I've heard a few times.
Same for the recording characteristics of the Martins.
Most of my playing is in a recording studio.
On my next trip to the guitar shop, I'm gonna do some A/B comparisons and see what grabs me.