New Memorial Strat Project

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
There is a line from a song by The Doors which talks about "...the scream of the butterfly...". I always thought that was what good guitar playing was like, a screaming butterfly. Especially Hendrix stuff.

arock

Help! I'm a rock
Love the 3 tone sunburst. Awesome memorial to your son. Looking forward to seeing the "after" picture

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
OK, I finally got the tremolo cover engraved. Here are some pics. It's a looker, and it plays really nice as well, and sounds fabulous with the Lace Holy Grail pickups. I basically got all gold hardware, including gold locking Sperzel Tuners. The tremolo is from a PRS SE and works really nice. The screw holes line up perfectly. I also put a new Tusq nut in it. The knobs are all hardwood including the selector switch. Of course it's best feature is the engraved tremolo cover.

IMG_1296 by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr

IMG_1299 by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr

IMG_1301 by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr

IMG_1303 (2) by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr

IMG_1306 by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr

Last edited:

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
You've created a fine work of art, Cap'n! A labor of love.

Enjoy!

See you down the road! :thumbup:

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Just Awesome, Capn! You're right, the tremolo cover IS its best feature!

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Really nice, Dennis! That gold pickguard is interesting (& looks great!) - is it anodized aluminum?

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Yes, anodized aluminum. I think it is a stock Fender pick guard. I like it because it isn't heavily brushed, more of a matte finish. I have a matching tremolo cover, but decided to go with the brass plate.

Thanks all. Even without the sentimental value, it is a really nice guitar. I used to use it for my music lesson, which meant it sat in the car all day. i thought it was my cheapest guitar. But then one day I realized, that guitar was irreplaceable. So now I take something else.

The original neck is now the tap handle on my Kegerater. I made sure to buy a Squier neck, but paid the fancy shop $100 to get the frets worked on.The guy at the shop told me to take the Lace Holy Grail pickups out of it and throw the rest of the guitar away.

The body had a flawless finish, but then I dropped the hammer on it while trying to put a block in the tremolo, twice! Now there is a small dent in the back.

arock

Help! I'm a rock
Gotta say, the pictures barely do this guitar justice. Having had the pleasure of seeing it in person I have to say it is a both a great looking guitar, and a touching tribute to Kevin. Oh, and the Kegerater is pretty damn cool too:Beer:

Ed_zeppelin

Blues Newbie
The guy at the shop told me to take the Lace Holy Grail pickups out of it and throw the rest of the guitar away.

He took your $100 though, didn't he!? That is a beautiful guitar. Those pickups should sound real good. If it plays nice, it's worth every cent. Of course the sentiment makes it priceless. Pat on the back Cap'n! (y)

Slofinger

Blues Junior
I can't imagine having to build a tribute guitar to a son. I hope it brings you the peace you need. Very nice job.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I think you just created a priceless family heirloom and an incredible tribute to your son. I can't even begin to imagine going through that.