Christmas came early!

misterbiscuit

Blues Newbie
got myself one of them 2016 Gibson SG Traditionals online from Guitar Center.

I was a little nervous, because GC hasn't had the best record for ordering online. but they were offering 24 months no interest financing, free shipping, and the website claimed they would set it up. additionally, I'm just nervous ordering a brand-new guitar I haven't had in my hands.

the SG got here on time, set up perfectly with new strings. can't find a blemish. I'm very, very pleased. Santa must love me!

upload_2016-10-21_12-30-26.jpeg

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Very nice!!! I've ordered new guitars on-line and have never been unsatisfied. I think the trick is to buy a good quality guitar. Enjoy your new SG for many many years!!! :Beer:

misterbiscuit

Blues Newbie
I think I prefer the cherry red, but my No. 1 guitar for 23 years is a black American Standard Stratocaster, so I wanted the SG to be black, too. It looks much better in person than it photographs.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Awesome guitar. In my opinion, SG's just don't get enough love. I prefer mine to my LP. I hope you enjoy it in great health for a very long time!

nvr2old

Blues Newbie
Congrats. I've been strongly considering an SG for quite a while. I love everything about them except for the body shape. I just can't get past the sharp horns type of look. Maybe I should take a saw or sander to them and around them off.:cautious: Ken

misterbiscuit

Blues Newbie
Congrats. I've been strongly considering an SG for quite a while. I love everything about them except for the body shape. I just can't get past the sharp horns type of look. Maybe I should take a saw or sander to them and around them off.:cautious: Ken
the SG is an easier guitar for me to play because it's got a thin body like my strat. the horns actually allow much easier access to the higher frets. and it's 4-5 pounds, vs., say, 8-10 for a les paul.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
the SG is an easier guitar for me to play because it's got a thin body like my strat. the horns actually allow much easier access to the higher frets. and it's 4-5 pounds, vs., say, 8-10 for a les paul.
I really like my SG. But I got the heaviest one that Sweetwater had with a little bit of interesting wood grain. It's 7-1/2 lbs, not even 8lbs. I wish it was a little heavier........ The problem with SG's are they are neck heavy. I'm using a guitar strap with swede on the inside to help keep it steady.

misterbiscuit

Blues Newbie
I really like my SG. But I got the heaviest one that Sweetwater had with a little bit of interesting wood grain. It's 7-1/2 lbs, not even 8lbs. I wish it was a little heavier........ The problem with SG's are they are neck heavy. I'm using a guitar strap with swede on the inside to help keep it steady.
I had heard they were neck-heavy, and I was looking for that. But mine doesn't seem to be.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member

Of course, I had to weigh mine... ;) The former Robot SG weighs 7 pounds on the nose. Spiderman, the Zoot Suit weighs about 8 lbs. 6 ounces, but it is made entirely out of birch.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
It's way too early for Christmas presents, you should buy yourself something else when the time comes.
Congrats on the new SG

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
It's way too early for Christmas presents, you should buy yourself something else when the time comes.

I'm in full agreement with that!
two-beers.gif

KAS2

Blues Newbie
My SG Standard is a bit under 7 lbs and my SG Tribute is right around 8 lbs.

But no matter the weight, SG's rule! In my opinion.