Lesson 14: difficult or what!

TerryH

Blues Newbie
And just when I was itching to get on to the solos. Unfortunately I get a bit obsessive about doing everything in the right order, and it’s such a great sounding piece, so there is no way out. I have to do get it done. This may take some time.

My chord changes in this lesson are glacial, particularly in bar four and nine. But they’re such interesting sounding chords, dammit. Even my slowed down version is too fast. I can practice say, three chords at a time and try to work out the most efficient way from one to the next but it’s still hard to see any progress. If I try to do it faster my fingers just go on strike. Please somebody tell me I’m not the only one to struggle with the chords in this lesson.

Surprisingly, not using a pick came quite naturally this time.

I read a quote from Jimi Hendrix somewhere (maybe it was on here). He put it much better, but the gist of it was, sometimes you feel like throwing your guitar at the wall in frustration, but stay with it and it always rewards you in the end. I try to keep that thought in my head.

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
It's all about having your fingers remember the chord shapes without having to think about it. (Think Eb9 and you fingers just go there)
IT takes time for that to happen. Don't get discouraged. IT WILL happen.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
IT takes time for that to happen. Don't get discouraged. IT WILL happen.
It WILL! I think I spent about 2 months on it before I was almost comfortable...and still play it today, but never comfortably!
These are some of the toughest chord changes I've seen from Griff, so just push on over the "hump" (I think Griff knows we want to get to the solos at this point and just put this lesson here to slow us down a bit)!

david moon

Attempting the Blues
It is tough. I'm still stuck on lesson 12 trying to get comfortable with the chord shapes and, as you said, getting the changes smooth is also a challenge. I dabble in lesson 14 now and then. I did divert into some of the solos from the masters and also 52 Rhythm fills. You don't need to go strictly in order. If you have one of the "Easy solos" courses you could go there for a change of pace.

02KnowBetter

I need a shot of Rhythm and Blues...
As one of my old bosses used to say "if this job was any easier, think of all the competition we'd have". Achievements gain their worth in concert with the effort expended. Keep on trying. If something gets in your way try to find another path to the same end. Work on the Rut Busters lessons on the bonus disc. Watch Youtube videos of jazz guitar players and notice how their fingers move from one chord to another and then look at yourself going from one chord to the next in the lesson. Are you moving efficiently? Analyze how each finger moves (or not) from one chord shape to the next. Then mentally picture your fingers doing the motions instead of looking at them. Eventually your memory will direct the fingers through the dance. It will take time but unless you give up, you will succeed.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I'm on lesson 7 but have solo 1 down (ish) and have started solo 2. I think it is fine to do the rhythm and lead together.

cheers

Al.

TerryH

Blues Newbie
Thanks for all the comments. Don’t worry guys I’m not giving up. I just wanted to vent a little frustration. Looking at jazz guitarists move from chord to chord is a good suggestion. Watching Griff play in the DVD has a similar effect, but it looks so effortless it’s hard to relate to. I recently started PS&TM to do in tandem with BGU and that is helping a lot with general skills, but I have a very long way to go to get even close to that sort of economy of movement in my hands.

But it’s true, if it was easy it wouldn’t be worth doing!

I don’t think there is anything wrong with mixing up the rhythm and lead lessons, it’s probably a really good idea, but unfortunately short of taking some form of therapy, I’m stuck with the way my mind works:). I will look into the rut busters, though. I did something similar when I was doing BBG. I also learn the occasional lick from Griffs emails when I get stuck on something repetitive.

So, keep practising. I’m sure the last change in bar four was a millisecond faster this morning…

johnc

systematic
You will be right, persist and conquer they say. I am looking forward to tackling this one soon also. all the best with it...and give us updates how you are going..

misterbiscuit

Blues Newbie
I've been working on Lesson 14 since about 2011-12. I just looked at the tab again and realized I've added a few embellishments over time that make it more difficult! Oh well ... I've been working on Johnny B. Goode since 2000 xD

TerryH

Blues Newbie
Well, I’ve finally got to a stage where I can play it badly at full speed over the backing track. Unfortunately I had a bout of flu a few weeks ago (for the first time in my life) and this held things up a bit. Occasionally I get through it without any mistakes, but there’s a lot of room for improvement. I had to make three slowed down versions to gradually get up to speed. Insane really when you consider that the full speed version is only 54 bpm. I did have to modify two of the chords. Bb7/D because despite practising for hours with a metronome I can’t do the change in time and Bbsus2/D because I simply can’t reach it. In lesson 12 Griff talks about making chords smaller if you can’t play them so I don’t feel too bad about that. I’ll probably practice for another week before moving on. I tend to overlap the lessons once I reach a certain stage.

I’m not sure with any of the lessons that I can honestly say at the end that I have “owned” the song. It’s more a case of just gradually getting better as I go along. I have been doing the PS & TM as well and that is helping a lot.

It’s always good to be inspired by great guitarists. I was listening to an interview with Jeff Beck the other day. He was talking about how hard he has to concentrate when he is playing and I thought if an amazing guitarist like him feels that way, I should stop worrying about “owning” songs and accept that, yeah, you have to concentrate hard if you want to play well.

johnc

systematic
Terry, there may be some guys on here who may indeed "own the song" when they are done with the lessons, but for most it is 80% at best, and then moving on. I think as long as you get the concepts of the rhythm and general points of the lesson. Playing it perfectly will happen in time so long as we keep playing guitar so I would be happy with around 70 - 80% and if I was able to play it through reasonably well on the odd random occasion.
If you haven't done so already it would be good to try and get a recording done at least for your own reference. Keep revisiting this lesson over the next 12 months and re-record it.

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
I studied Okinawan Karate for many years and some in the martial arts like to criticize/ignore traditional Kata practice and go right to self defense techniques without a solid foundation. What Kata does is teach you body memorization, to move into positions without thinking about it. It is the foundation to build upon. I find that many things in life follow the same concepts, golf, baseball, and guitar playing all rely on body memorization to excel. In Guitar, as in the other examples, many times we take up an activity without seeking proper instruction or any instruction and along the way pick up bad habits and as time goes by we wonder why we are not improving, ie: my golf game. Sometimes we find shortcuts or cheats or just shy away from things we think are too hard. That has been me when it come to guitar. I've taught myself beginning at 18, have played and sang for all these years, even play around with Lead guitar in the minor blues progressions and do pretty good but I know my own limitations and weaknesses and get frustrated because I can't play what I hear on record or in my head. Bad habits are hard to break and only hard work to correct them will solve our problems. I can use my little finger just fine on the B and E strings but try and get it up to the D or A to form a chord and I'm struggling. I see a lot of guitar players, Griff included, who have their middle finger laid out straight when forming a chord, mine wants to fight me all the time. I know I just need to be patient and unlearn all the bad habits and relearn the right way to do things and success will come. Loving the BGU 2.0 course so far and trying not to get too anxious about jumping ahead before I understand each lesson. Hard to do sometimes in our excitement.