New Amp Purchase

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I don't want anyone else to buy a tube amp.....I like being in a special club.
Also, I don't want the new buyers eating up the supply of good tubes.
So, when you buy an amp, please by a SS.

Last edited:

Danoob 2.0

Blues Newbie
I would look at the Peavey Classic Mini, all tube amp with record out and headphone use, add a 1x12 extension or whatever you feel, record straight to the PC or mic it up. I have the original mini and like it very much, Peavey is still an overlooked option these days.

Check out the stack bundles that are available.

nvr2old

Blues Newbie
I would look at the Peavey Classic Mini, all tube amp with record out and headphone use, add a 1x12 extension or whatever you feel, record straight to the PC or mic it up. I have the original mini and like it very much, Peavey is still an overlooked option these days.

Check out the stack bundles that are available.

I agree Danoob. I really like my Peavey DeltaBlues 115 I got from GC used recently. It's a high quality gig ready amp with classic tone. I particularly like the 115 form. The 15 inch speaker adds body and low end that I don't have in my other amps. Having said that I hope he enjoys his Mustng III as its an amazing choice also. Ken

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
Lets end this ss vs tube debate. And that's easy. Next time you buy a new tube, buy this stuff:

http://www.solidstatetubes.com/
They last a lot longer I'm told.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Disclaimer: I'm in neither SS nor Tube camp. Just amazed that people make such a fuzz about it...
To me only the sound counts, it must be good in MY ears.

ChrisG

Blues Newbie
I don't want anyone else to buy a tube amp.....I like being in a special club.
Also, I don't want the new buyers eating up the supply of good tubes.
So, when you buy an amp, please by a SS.

Hey Capt. Sorry to disappoint you but I'm really considering this Blues Jr...that I'm trying out. It definitely has a good tone and response that I'm really enjoying. You may have to contend with another guitarist....playing a tube amp......now with that being said the Mustang iii has world of options that easily feeds my guitar ADD....I hope I can decide by tomorrow....

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
ChrisG,
If you buy a tube amp, you'll have to provide a valid receipt or photographic proof before you're allowed in the club.
We'll then provide all the appropriate points to hold your own in debates with those "other" people.

Big Tube.jpg

Last edited:

sloslunas

NM Blues
Hey Capt. Sorry to disappoint you but I'm really considering this Blues Jr...that I'm trying out. It definitely has a good tone and response that I'm really enjoying. You may have to contend with another guitarist....playing a tube amp......now with that being said the Mustang iii has world of options that easily feeds my guitar ADD....I hope I can decide by tomorrow....
Why stress about it? Buy both...

Steve

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
You should have one amplifier for each guitar! :)

I have had many amps over the years. At one time tube amps were the only thing available. I began building my own solid state amp in the late 1950's. Given that vacuum tubes are no longer made in the United States, my preference is solid state. Quality and consistency affect sound reproduction. It is expensive to change tubes to find “that right sound”.

The big thing in my book about a guitar amp is how it will be used. I have several for home use (not too much power) and some for gigs (40 to 100 watts). Some gigs allow use of the house PA system, so a smaller power amp with a microphone is fine. My Mustang fits many of my needs. Just be sure to memorize or write down which settings relate to what sound! :eek:

As for tube design, I like Class A amps, and avoid Class D. The thought of a clean signal is important to me. A pedal can take your sound and modify it to your liking or just the settings you use from the guitar and amp. My preference is to avoid pedals and rely on the guitar and amp. That was good enough for B. B. King. (y)

Tom

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Speaking of B.B. King, his favorite amp was Lab Series L5 2x12" combo amp.
The Lab Series amps were developed by Bob Moog for Gibson parent company Norlin in the 1970s. They feature a solid state design with a very tube-like tone and an interesting EQ section which allows you to dial in the exact midrange characteristics you prefer.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
If any of your tube amps die RR I will be glad to help you in not replacing them?
My lauded Carvin BelAir is on the fritz right now. Has a whole compliment of new tubes, so it's not the tubes. It sounds good right after it warms up, then the volume drops off to about half. There is a very good amp repair place close by in Tacoma. From my explanation of what it does they seem to think it's just a loose connection somewhere. But their minimum bench charge is $100.00 and $80.00 an hour from there. I could easily be looking at half the price of a new amp just to get it fixed. Oh, aren't tube amps wonderful?

ChrisG

Blues Newbie
Ok ...... I have tested, compared, contrasted, read up on, and just plane jammed with a Blues Junior, a Princeton 68 Custom, a Deluxe Reverb, a Peavey 6505 mini head, a Marshall MG 30 CFX, and a Mustang iii amplifier. I think I have done my due diligence in trying to uncover which amp is best for my current needs with the exception of exhausting all of the bazillion options you can do with the Mustang iii amp. I did not use the fuse software at all in my comparison as I'm not a huge fan of plugging a computer into an amplifier....(although at some point I'd like to record and jam with you guys in the vjr.)

Let me just say that in my testing I found aspects of each of these amps that I really liked and aspects that I didn't. The Fender Deluxe Reverb is just plain awesome but the power is way way way more than I need for my immediate purposes....that amp is defiantly on my list of Gear to acquire as I progress as a player....

With that being said I've decided on:

Drum roll .....................................

THE MUSTANG III solid state amplifier.....

I was able to dial up a 65 deluxe reverb and almost perfectly replicate the original....there is definitely a little less organic tube goodness but ....the simple fact that I can get tone this close at basically any volume and have the option of playing through multiple cabinets, and effects and have all of these other vintage amps at my disposal for like 700.00 less is just to good to pass on this time. I also really went back and forth with the Blues Junior because I could get some really cool sounds from it at relatively decent practice volumes using a TS9.....but....when I cranked it up and compared it to the cranked tone coming out of the mustang (65 Deluxe Reverb selection)....the Mustang Blew it out of the water...Really it did. I also got the opinion from my 10 year old son who is a master at selecting good tone....and he said ....."Dad that amp, referring to the Mustang, is sick"....He did say the real 65 Deluxe Reverb sounded beautiful and more real.....like I said he is a master at hearing good tone!

So my apologies to all of you tube afficianados. I certainly don't mean to step on any toes....I still love the organic sounds from tubes but for the money and the versatility I got to go with the SS Mustang iii.

Capt.....your spare tube parts are safe for now as I won't be needing any for a while....

Thanks to all of you for providing me with great guidance and a whole lot of fun....

Rock On!

Elio

Student Of The Blues
What I don't understand is this "one trick pony" idea that is frequently tossed around about tube amps. I don't want to argue about this just add another point of view. In the end it's all about whatever floats your boat. Here is the thing, I'm here at this Blues forum because I'm interested in learning the Blues. What do you need? Are you interested in fusion jazz or metal, or synthesizers? I don't know. In the old days the Bluesmen played guitar. Acoustic, electric, whatever. They used an amp. How complicated do we need to be? Even a crybaby has it's limitation on where and how you can use one. I owned a modeling amp, I sold it. Sure it had all of those different effects. In the long run the knob had printing that was too small for me to see in a real brightly lit room. My Crate had no footswitch so whatever I set it on was how it stayed. A one trick pony. I've got another Fender 5 watt hybrid modeling amp, same thing. That amp stays at the vacation house. Then we read about these guys that have the Fender Modeling Mustang Amp or whatever only to see this array of foot pedals they use and why that rig is the best. That sounds like a one trick pony with an array of foot pedals. So I'll take my tube amp and my pedals and be happy. And when I want to record I'll either take that line-out from my Nace or I'll mic my Marshall, Carvin Vintage, or Blues Jr. I'll probably split the signal and come back with a couple amps for the mix.

So, I like the tube amps. I'm not interested in SS amps right now. Another post a while back described why some folks don't like SS amps. His post was far more technical then I will write here. It had something to do with tube amps when they get played high up or full out, they sound great with this analog natural feel that cannot be replicated without tubes. (that's what I want when I play the Blues - or Blues Rock). And then he mentioned that SS amps have this unnatural clipping tone up in those similar relative power levels.

Here is a thought, how come tube amps are the most common amp out there being played by professionals?

In the end it's all about whatever floats your boat. It's all good. Pay your money and take your choice. :Beer::Beer:

I definitely don't want to add to the tube versus ss debate, nor am I qualified to do so, but I will post my observations from the standpoint of someone who is learner, rather than a performer. I really like the sound of my tube amps better than my SS Fender modeling amp and tend to use the tube amps whenever possible. With that said, I also really like the sound of my SS amp. The reason I find it indispensable is that it allows me to store backing track and lesson MP3s and it has a built-in phrase sampler. That means I can very quickly sample a particular lick that I am trying to learn and then loop and play along with it until I am ready to go to the next lick. Once I learn it, I can switch to the backing track with one footswitch click and then play my new lick along with the track.

For me, it isn't an either/or situation, I have good uses for both. Both tube and SS amps have a purpose, but it really depends on what the amp will be primarily used for.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
ChrisG, obviously I think you made the right choice.
The '65 Deluxe model is one of my very favorite Mustang III models. You can hear it all over the VJR. Recording with it at really low volumes is dirt simple. As for sound quality for jams and gigging, well, I figure if it's good enough for people like Shane of Intheblues, it's plenty good enough for me.
Others may send you condolences ... I send you
CONGRATULATIONS!

My only suggestion would be that you take a little of that pile of money you're saving and get a BBE Sonic Stomp pedal and put it in the effects loop. The BBE Sonic Stomp is a pedal that I consider essential whether using a tube amp or a SS amp. It is quite virtually like pulling a blanket off of your amplifier. A Carvin needs one, a Nace needs one, all amps need one IMHO.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...=b&network=g&gclid=CIn-lLqv4ssCFReUfgodFacLQQ

Last edited: