Backing tracks

rsullivan750

Blues Newbie
Where do you find the backtracks on this forum ? Griff talked about it on the intro vid but I'm missing the mark. Or is it elsewhere on the web?

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Which tracks are you looking for? There are several that will be on the BGU2 CDs and then there will be many others in other places.

The very last page of the BGU2 manual has the CD track listing, the last several tracks are full length jam tracks that correspond with the solo examples.

Griff

Blues_Dude

Love Dem N'Awlins Blues
whats the difference between the 29 backing tracks package and the 5X5 backing tracks package? I really want to start practicing with some good jam tracks but haven't been able to find any. I saw Griff's video on "how to use jam tracks", then I find that there are different packages. So how do I determine which ones are what I need??

Well, you don't say exactly what you want to practice using backing tracks. There are already several good ones in BGU.
The sticky threads at the top of this section (click here) have some good info about the tracks in several courses as well as links to some other sites.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
The "29 tracks" comes with a book of tabs. The tracks themselves are good but not great quality (some have midi instruments if I recall).
-You want this one if you just want lots of jam tracks to jam along with the tabs too.

Griff's "Ultimate Jam Tracks"
are really great. He and his band recorded them and it's like getting to play with Griff, Chris, Mark and Q (I think they were recorded back in the "Q" days). They lend themselves nicely to real songs.
-You want this one if you just want really professional jam tracks to jam along with the tabs too. You'll get the feeling of playing real songs in a real band

5x5 Jam Tracks
is more about 5 specific blues jam "feels" (Swing, Jump, Slow Blues, Straight Rock, Mid Tempo Blues/Rock) in 5 different keys.
-You want this one if you are trying to get a handle on the various blues feels.

Last edited:

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Well, you don't say exactly what you want to practice using backing tracks. There are already several good ones in BGU.
The sticky threads at the top of this section (click here) have some good info about the tracks in several courses as well as links to some other sites.
Yes, you didn't say what you want to practice. And I don't know if they are mentioned in the sticky threads or not, but Coffee Break Grooves has absolutely awesome by genre, jazz, blues, rock, etc. I bought all of their blues ones. Now I just have to learn to play good enough to jam to them!

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
I'm sure the 5x5 backing tracks came with one of the courses I bought, but for playing along with then the 29 backing tracks are a great intro to improvisation training. :)

Blues_Dude

Love Dem N'Awlins Blues
At this point, I have completed through lesson 13, gone through the "playing on the porch" lessons and Griffs "how to jam" lessons. So I feel I am ready to take the next step. Thats when I came across the three different sets of jam tracks. So basically what I am looking for is what Griff presented in his video "How to use Jam Tracks". I want to be able to get better and fine tune my ability to use the comp rythms from the course over real band tracks. He showed that we need to develop the ability to use the same comp pattern over different styles of songs and tempo's. My thinking is this should prepare me for moving on to his solo lessons.