Just starting BBG

BeginnerBob

Blues Newbie
Greetings all. Looking at this forum there is a lot of great info! I've just started BBG and coming from a couple years learning classical style guitar. I like a variety of music and got connected with Griff's emails that hooked me on learning Blues style. I do have a fair background with other instruments like trombone, recorder, flute but wanted to try something I can play chords on!

My challenge is getting all my fingers on the right strings and frets while coordinating my other hand to play the right string! Trombones only have one moving part to worry about!

I've been progressing well through BBG until getting to the barre chords!! I've read some of the posts and seems I am not alone here. Will take the advice I've seen and keep working on this, but keep it to about 10 minutes a session for now - guess I need to get some finger strength built up.

Also, still playing my classical guitar for these lessons as I wanted to build up a few tunes to try when I go to the store to check out guitars. Have already got the ABGU course in hand anticipating to get an acoustic guitar and keep moving along.

Enjoying it all so far.

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Welcome BasicB!  I've always thought it is great to be around people of like mind.  Especially if it's something in common we LOVE.  We all LOVE Blues!

You'll slay that Barre Chord monster in due time and then wonder how and when it became a puppy!  I'm sure you have a similar story regarding your Classical training.

See you down the road  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Welcome to the forum, BasicB!!!
You have found a brand new extended family here!  Lots and lots of great folks all here to give you a helping hand and support!

2f1ea8d971bb760a7ffa4bfbd01ae523.gif
drummer-smiley.gif
band.gif
Guitar_Emoticon___Animated_by_satsukichan.gif
piano_mote_by_indigojelly.gif

We gonna help you learn to boogie!

wannaplayblues

Blues Newbie
Hi BasicB! I think barre chords are a rite-of-passage for guitarists.

You struggle and struggle and then one day you don't... and forget all about the struggle until someone mentions they're struggling and you think "Oh yeah, I remember that!"

Personally, it was the F barre chord I hated most (1st fret) - I just didn't have the hand strength. You will get through it!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Welcome to the Forum BasicB.
Barre chords are a right of passage for a guitarist. As wannaplayblues said above, you play them and feel that you will never get it until one day you wonder what all the fuss was about.

2 tips:
1) Don't press too hard.
When you can't get a clean sound it seems like you need to press harder. Trust me, you don't. You will just fatigue your hand. Apply only enough pressure sot touch the fret.

2) Hold the chord form, release pressure (but don't remove your fingers), press down, release, press down release.....
This has worked for me over and over. Your fingers seem to learn where they should be (muscle memory) without having to play a note.
After you have done that for a while, add a second chord (preferably in the correct progression), then move between the two chords.

Hello Basicb.  Congrats on getting BBG and ABGU, these are good and you can learn a lot quickly if you can put in the practice time.

Don't feel like you have to go buy a new acoustic guitar, ABGU is more about a STYLE of playing than the type of instrument.   I did most of the course on an electric guitar, although i did use an acoustic to record the lessons.   You could easily do the whole course on your current classical style guitar.   

If you spend much time around this forum you will start wanting a LOT of new/different gear.
Welcome to the forum !

BeginnerBob

Blues Newbie
Thanks for the warm welcomes! Seeing all the good advice here will certainly help me improve more quickly.

MikeS - good tips on those barre chords. I saw a number of other good posts that might help as well. I'll keep working on it!

WindInTrees - nice advice on guitars. As I saw in one of Griff's emails, don't think this next guitar is going to be the last. As I am hearing each guitar has a different character and playability. As I begin to be able to play more tunes I'll go audition a few candidates.

samwell

been here.....
Welcome to the forum BB, you done found the way to get them blues :cool:   Yep, that axe ain't a trombone, but you still have to hold your mouth right :-?   Enjoy & Drop by regular.... [smiley=beer.gif]