SRV

DavidLylis

Aspiring Bluesman
Thanks. I have never tried this but it surprises me a 1/2 step makes that much difference. I guess any help is a positive

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
In my band we do it to make it easier for the singer.
Was going to say the same thing. I know several folks that tune down a half step to make it easier to hit the higher notes.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
From an interview with his guitar tech, Rene Martinez:
When he asked Stevie why he tuned to Eb.
SRV's answer:
"I can't sing in E; it's gotta be in E-flat."

For those who believe in an after live, ask Stevie when you see him

Last edited:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
That would be "Drop D".
I don't think so. Drop D is dropping the low E string to D. In some keys that low D is cool. Other "open" chords like G or A can be played with either modified fingering or selective muting.

SRV dropped the whole guitar down a half step.

I have a few basses where I have installed a Hipshot tuner to drop the E string, usually to D. If the tune is in D that low D is nice to have. Lower notes such as on a B string on a 5-string bass, not so much.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I don't think so. Drop D is dropping the low E string to D. In some keys that low D is cool. Other "open" chords like G or A can be played with either modified fingering or selective muting.

SRV dropped the whole guitar down a half step.

I have a few basses where I have installed a Hipshot tuner to drop the E string, usually to D. If the tune is in D that low D is nice to have. Lower notes such as on a B string on a 5-string bass, not so much.

I think he meant that as a joke. ...going down to D and the strings "drop off". You have to read it in conjunction with RR's.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
One of the things I have to keep doing is remind myself that not everyone shares my snotty, sarcastic sense of humor. There is only one person on the planet who gets all my jokes. It's just too bad he's crazy as a loon.

I can't tell you how many times I have dropped an amazingly witty and absolutely hysterical retort into a post only to have it met with ...crickets. Followed by me thinking, "oh crap, they took me seriously!"