Looking Back (new one)

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Okay, I got this idea to start practicing in a normal bedroom with just an I-phone and no electronic toys. Funny thing, no matter how soft I play the guitar, it's the one thing the phone picks up loud. I specifically wrote this one to practice using an accent on the bass line repeatedly (and I left in the errors), and I figured I am so ingrained in other things and I took everyone's suggestion to work on playing my acoustic softer and not like a Sex Pistols les Paul.
And as I still hate doing vocals with a passion, I have been forcing myself to do what I hate........................so, is this one a one to keep writing and working on, or a tosser ?

Looking Back

When my daddy was a young man
he worked hard for what he owned
Tough on the kids till the day we're grown

Sent him off to fight in a foreign land
Did what he had to do in Vietnam

Momma would cook and clean almost every day
still had a 9 to 5, there were bills to pay
momma would do her best not to be unkind
every now and then we would cross that line

CHORUS
sometimes you gotta stand and take the fight
do what you have to do to do whats right
looking in the mirror see where you stand
in the end you answer to one man

Now I'm all grown I got kids of my own
blink of an eye I looked and they were grown
thinking about all the things I've seen
I never really care what could have been

CHORUS

Gonna live forever thats the biggest lie
you cant outrun a man called father time
I wouldnt change a thing baby if I could
theres a few things I probably should

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Okay, I got this idea to start practicing in a normal bedroom with just an I-phone and no electronic toys. Funny thing, no matter how soft I play the guitar, it's the one thing the phone picks up loud. I specifically wrote this one to practice using an accent on the bass line repeatedly (and I left in the errors), and I figured I am so ingrained in other things and I took everyone's suggestion to work on playing my acoustic softer and not like a Sex Pistols les Paul.
And as I still hate doing vocals with a passion, I have been forcing myself to do what I hate........................so, is this one a one to keep writing and working on, or a tosser ?

Looking Back

When my daddy was a young man
he worked hard for what he owned
Tough on the kids till the day we're grown

Sent him off to fight in a foreign land
Did what he had to do in Vietnam

Momma would cook and clean almost every day
still had a 9 to 5, there were bills to pay
momma would do her best not to be unkind
every now and then we would cross that line

CHORUS
sometimes you gotta stand and take the fight
do what you have to do to do whats right
looking in the mirror see where you stand
in the end you answer to one man

Now I'm all grown I got kids of my own
blink of an eye I looked and they were grown
thinking about all the things I've seen
I never really care what could have been

CHORUS

Gonna live forever thats the biggest lie
you cant outrun a man called father time
I wouldnt change a thing baby if I could
theres a few things I probably should

Nice work.
I like the message in the lyrics.
(y)
I'd make one suggestion..........
Add a short bridge section in there someplace to take the listener on a little side trip before returning to the main road.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
and an old one I have been working on improving, especially playing softer

Hey,
I think I've heard that one someplace before.
:sneaky:

Sounding good.
I think your singing has improved quite a bit from the first time I heard it.

I think it may have something to do with your hair being longer:ROFLMAO:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Nice work.
I like the message in the lyrics.
(y)
I'd make one suggestion..........
Add a short bridge section in there someplace to take the listener on a little side trip before returning to the main road.
good idea.........eventually a buddy of mine will play acoustic and I will add the electric over it, thinking this one calls for the tele for some reason

And my boy corey will sing it, but this is how I start writing everything, been learning a lot from you

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Hey,
I think I've heard that one someplace before.
:sneaky:

Sounding good.
I think your singing has improved quite a bit from the first time I heard it.

I think it may have something to do with your hair being longer:ROFLMAO:

funny thing, I never met my real father, about two years ago I made contact with some relatives in england, seem I have three brothers there. One asked me to at least speak to my father, I did it for them. Other than being white grey, we have the same hair. He has a full head of it into his 60's.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
good idea.........eventually a buddy of mine will play acoustic and I will add the electric over it, thinking this one calls for the tele for some reason

And my boy corey will sing it, but this is how I start writing everything, been learning a lot from you
Don't look to me....I'm just struggling along like the rest of us.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
funny thing, I never met my real father, about two years ago I made contact with some relatives in england, seem I have three brothers there. One asked me to at least speak to my father, I did it for them. Other than being white grey, we have the same hair. He has a full head of it into his 60's.

My father used to tell people:
"it's hard to have good looks, brains and hair all on the same head........I'm getting rid of the one that's hardest to take care of"

I can't claim good looks or brains but, I'm shedding the hair to make some room just incase. :sneaky:

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Foundations of a good song there. So your brothers in England are the reason behind your 3 lions sweater?

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Foundations of a good song there. So your brothers in England are the reason behind your 3 lions sweater?

well, I am actually English, became an American Citizen at 14. AS I tell everyone, America is my country, its the one I served in the military for. England is my heritage and where I was born. AS is proper, I sometimes fly both flags, but the stars and stripes is always on top

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
This one is a touch of a joke, stole it from Austin Forman, because it cracked me up royally...............by the way, totally

NSFW.........no do not play at work

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
This is amazing, one of the first songs I wrote with the guys, keep in mind I posted this in 2018.......................just suddenly got flagged for age restriction on youtube. I mean, two years and suddenly its an issue. Considering what I see on Instagram and youtube from the kartrashians and rap artists, this is probably the most mild thing out there.
I mean personally, I think tis one of the better songs I have written. I only have had one complaint and it was someone who is hyper religous and took offense at the title.
Even though I explained the song is about a girl who plays with mens emotions, didnt make a difference

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
This is amazing, one of the first songs I wrote with the guys, keep in mind I posted this in 2018.......................just suddenly got flagged for age restriction on youtube. I mean, two years and suddenly its an issue. Considering what I see on Instagram and youtube from the kartrashians and rap artists, this is probably the most mild thing out there.
I mean personally, I think tis one of the better songs I have written. I only have had one complaint and it was someone who is hyper religous and took offense at the title.
Even though I explained the song is about a girl who plays with mens emotions, didnt make a difference

I remember that one, love the riff.
When I filed my complaint I on age restriction, I was talking about old men, not young children.
:ROFLMAO:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I remember that one, love the riff.
When I filed my complaint I on age restriction, I was talking about old men, not young children.
:ROFLMAO:
Its like really ?

Have they actually looked at some of the stuff these "influencers" place on social media. I am guessing someone clicked complain so they just knee jerk reaction to it without looking

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
well, for once, I won

Dear Mark Hermanson,
Thank you for submitting your video appeal to YouTube. After further review, we have removed the age restriction on your video.

hands of the devil

For more information please visit the YouTube Help Center.

sloslunas

NM Blues
and an old one I have been working on improving, especially playing softer

Mark- I think you did a very good job on that song. My honest opinion is that you really need to lighten up on your strumming. It would come out so much better. That is my opinion only...

Steve