Thrilling#2

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I may be going off the reservation on this one but...

RECORDING

I've been working on a couple different harp solos for this one so I decided to cheat and give the guitar the night off. Unfortunately, I really haven't been able to achieve a tone I'm happy with for recording but here it is, warts and all. I took it from about 3:21 to 3:50

Mike, Marv, and Caboburt, you guys are sounding smoooth!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsq8yq1xdu30u35/Harp thrill.mp3?dl=0

Last edited:

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I may be going off the reservation on this one but...

RECORDING

I've been working on a couple different harp solos for this one so I decided to cheat and give the guitar the night off. Unfortunately, I really haven't been able to achieve a tone I'm happy with for recording but here it is, warts and all. I took it from about 3:21 to 3:50

Mike, Marv, and Caboburt, you guys are sounding smoooth!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsq8yq1xdu30u35/Harp thrill.mp3?dl=0
Sounded good to me Elio. I bought one a few years back with every intention of learning how to play it...I guess I better dig it back out and start learning:whistle::whistle::whistle:.

Elwood

Blues
Track has a "dirt under your nails" kinda feel to it, :cool:. all that good playing you guys did put a nice edge on it (y) and Elio's harp just set it right off! :Beer:

I took the big bite, all the way to the end.:D:eek::D

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/zrp9fetu6muws87/Thrill2Am-Cb-Mrv-Mc-Eo-Tz-Rt-Ms-Po-Ew.mp3?dl=0

This is the Taylor 314ce pretending to be an electric guitar (I do the same drills on it). I just plugged it into my bass amp, set everything flat, and into my DAW, massaged it in there. 3 channels of the same direct in from the Taylor ES-2 pickups. Something different. :whistle:

Thanks for posting this up Burt, Fun!!! :Beer::Beer::Beer:

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
Thanks Burt, :notworthy: I struggled as evidenced by my lack of imagination.:rolleyes: It was really fun using the 314 though!!! :D

I use a PreSonus 68c (just about any digital audio interface should be the same) with Studio 1 Artist. With the Taylors I find they sound better if I use something to kick up the gain before going to the 68c. (folks who know what they are doing may be able to boost it within the DAW, this works for me now) My bass amp (Fender Rumble 200) sounds better with the acoustics than my guitar amp (Fender SuperChamp2) so I just plug the Taylors right into the bass amp, run a balanced (xlr) line out to the 68c and done. :thumbup:

For that VJR track I did the "easy thing" and just dampened a bunch of LF stuff. A quick way to get done at the expense of some tone.
If I am trying to make them sound pretty I can use a mic or mics in addition to the direct input and take time to deal with the lows instead of dump em. :whistle:

I guess you could do just about the same thing with a guitar cord, ha! :Beer:

I believe I learned all of the above right here, from Moto, and Papa, and lots of other folks trying to help me learn to play more and cuss less. The Studio One posts are another huge kick up the learning curve, from the same seedy cast of characters. :sneaky:;)

Caboburt

No Bad Days
Thanks for the answer Elwood. :Beer: Soooo....plug guitar into amp, then amp into interface (as opposed to guitar into interface) using xlr cable ? I need a picture. Got one? Thanks dude.

Elwood

Blues
Burt,

I can't dream up a photo that would help. Maybe this will;
index.php

When lifting my Ampeg V4-B head got to be too much (never mind any cabinet too) I downsized to a combo amp, and ended up with the Fender Rumble 200.

The Rumble 200 seems to accidentally be a fair acoustic amp. It has lots of EQ options, a nice 15” full range bass speaker, and a functional horn tweeter with an on – off switch. I didn't realize it at the time but it also has some very useful I/O connections for home recording.

I use the “Line Out” to connect to my digital audio interface. This is a nice quiet (balanced) output with a ground lift, just in case you are chasing a hum. You can usually find a way to connect your amp to your interface...a couple of things to consider;
  1. in general don't use a “speaker” or “ext. speaker” connection. It will be too hot for your interface without a pad or serious care – and – if you run a tube amp with no speaker you screwed up.

2. “headphone” outs can be usable, but may tend to be noisy as they will be high output even at low levels, and very touchy.
A “line out” either in 1/4” plug or xlr is what you probably want, with the xlr being preferable if you were shopping with connectivity as a consideration. (my guitar amp has the 1/4 line out, I think it's noisier)

(I also plug my Sennheiser 280s in the “headphones” jack, especially if I am recording an acoustic. This kills speaker output. Any of my acoustics are pretty good (bad sounding) mics. Chuffing speaker output right into the acoustic you are recording, for want of a better term, acoustic feedback. Sounds bad.)

@Caboburt , I got tangled up in my story and forgot one important point / you can see I am using the bass amp just as a pre-amp for the guitar. There are tons of pre-amp solutions out there, and if playing bass is not an issue, an acoustic type pre-amp or amp would almost certainly be better.

All this is based on my current understanding, or lack thereof. If anyone sees anything incorrect or that should be clarified, please jump in.

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-25_7-38-2.png
    upload_2020-9-25_7-38-2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Caboburt

No Bad Days
Wow...that was great. Further investigation on my part but you have put me on an interesting path. Thanks again for your help.