Daughter wants to learn to play the Keyboard/Piano

JeffreyS

You are never to old to learn something new.
Can anyone suggest where to start keeping in mind space: we do have room for an upright piano if it came to that and of course cost (and I have no idea here but) let's say less than $500.00.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Casio pianos are really nice but I'd suggest going with something Yamaha. We bought this Yamaha P45 at Costco with the stand and a bench for about $399 plus tax a few years ago. I really like the split function (splits the keyboard into two keyboards) and I use the USB for recording.

The P45 is the low end Yamaha and it is really, really nice, and there are better ones as you go up the ladder.

If you want an acoustic piano look on Craigslist. Here in Detroit, at least, people are giving them away if you come pick them up. Upright pianos don't hold any value so it isn't worth buying one new unless you spend $10,000 and keep it for life.

Whatever you get, make sure it has full size keys so she won't have problems playing other pianos. Of course, you didn't say how old your daughter is :)

Eric

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Can anyone suggest where to start keeping in mind space: we do have room for an upright piano if it came to that and of course cost (and I have no idea here but) let's say less than $500.00.

Yamaha makes some really decent electronic pianos. Just make sure to get one that feels like a traditional stringed piano and not like the cheap $50 keyboards Radio Shack used to sell. I have a 10+ year old Yamaha P-60 that I bought new. It has held up extremely well and plays as well as the day I brought it home. The model is no longer made. It's old enough that there is no USB, but it does have the old traditional 5 pin MIDI In and Out connectors. Something newer will likely have a USB MIDI interface built in.

If you have room for an upright, you might consider taking a look on Craigslist. There are a lot of people who buy or inherit a piano who never play it. You can often pick one up for free or next to nothing. But you'll have to move it. I just checked my local C/L and there are two just on the first page of musical instruments. One for $100 and one for $150. The downside of buying something like this is 1). getting it professionally moved will probably cost you a couple hundred dollars and 2). tuning it once it is in your home. Just realize that if you ever want to get rid of it, you'll get virtually nothing for it.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Perhaps some instrument re-assignment therapy? I mean, I guess it takes all kinds, but nobody wants their kid to play one. I guess it could have been banjo, so consider yourself lucky!

Sorry couldn't resist.

My wife has an electronic Kawaii piano. It looks like a real piano and sounds awesome. They are pricey when new, but I've seen them used for $1k.

Yamaha is also a very good brand. But so is Casio when you get up out of the cheap junk that they make. Their higher end pianos are up there with Yamaha.

Like any instrument, buy cheap to see if they stick with it. But not so cheap that the quality of the gear is a reason to become disillusioned with music.

An important thing to look for is a piano like hammer feel to the keys.

Stinger22

Blues Junior
With my retirement coming end of the month I decided a few weeks ago to get a good 88 weighted key piano and get back into more serious keyboarding. Took 4 years back when I was a kid and have tinkered with keys all along. Have a nice Casio I've had for a long time but not weighted keys or that true piano feel and an Akai 49 for my DAW synths and such.

Got this the Yamaha P-125 and couldn't be happier. It's a little more that what you are looking at but well worth it. You can get their stand but I had it on the stand that came with the Casio and that worked fine although I have upgraded so I have a two tier with the Akai sitting above it now. Any of the Yamaha stuff is good and of course Roland gets good reviews too.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-88-Ke...ha+p125&qid=1597676567&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-20

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
There is a great deal to be said in favor of an electronic keyboard with weighted keys! My personal choice is Yahama for keyboards. Uprights are fine, but you must consider tuning (3-4 times a year) at around $250 per tuning. If you ever move, that is a true liability! Also, the upright does not have a headphone jack like the Yamaha's! :)

The Yahama P71 is a good buy, and within the price point you mentioned.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Weigh.../B01LY8OUQW/ref=psdc_8882524011_t1_B07BSM7PFL

The Yahama P125 is an excellent instrument, which Stinger 22 suggested.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-88-Ke...25&qid=1597676567&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-20&th=1

You get what you pay for. With Yahama you get more! Either of these two models will require a stand, which is an additional charge.

Your child may really enjoy the piano (I do!) and like anyone starting a music journey, it is very important to start off with a good instrument. That will help insure her interest will not be reduced due to the quality of the instrument. Next order of business: Choosing the “right teacher”! Shop around – ask questions, and support your child's music dream.

I do not know where you live, but if you have a store that rents pianos, you might consider that as a good first step, but do not consider a long term contract. Check the fine print! If your child's interest continues, then it would be worth considering purchasing a good keyboard or upright.

Tom

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
With my retirement coming end of the month I decided a few weeks ago to get a good 88 weighted key piano and get back into more serious keyboarding. Took 4 years back when I was a kid and have tinkered with keys all along. Have a nice Casio I've had for a long time but not weighted keys or that true piano feel and an Akai 49 for my DAW synths and such.

Got this the Yamaha P-125 and couldn't be happier. It's a little more that what you are looking at but well worth it. You can get their stand but I had it on the stand that came with the Casio and that worked fine although I have upgraded so I have a two tier with the Akai sitting above it now. Any of the Yamaha stuff is good and of course Roland gets good reviews too.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-88-Ke...ha+p125&qid=1597676567&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-20

Happy retirement! The best to you. :):Beer:

Tom

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I really liked the Donner DEP-20 (available on Amazon) right around $300, has sustain pedal, great piano sound, touch sensitive keyboard, and all the fun electronic keyboard goodies.