Maybe a dumb question - where are the boxes ?

BigBear58

Blues Newbie
So I've got the 'Box 1' form down pretty well, in minor pent and blues, and I'm kind of cheating by just using that form based on the octave above (two strings over, two frets up), and that's getting me around the fretboard pretty well.

But I haven't really trained myself on the other boxes. Which course does Griff actually go thru the boxes one by one? I have a number of other courses in addition to BGU, and most them he says "you'd better know your boxes"...and I sort of don't.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Since you have BGU:

Box 1 Lesson 15 - "The Blues Scale" - page 56
Box 2 Lesson 19 - "Moving On Up" - page 64 - neck diagram of 1 & 2 connected page 65

Lesson 27 - "Finishing Up The Neck":
Box 3 page 88
Box 4 page 89
Box 5 page 89 - neck diagram of all 5 connected page 90

Appendix:
Blues Scale Boxes - pages 113-114
Pentatonic Boxes - pages 115-116

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
So I've got the 'Box 1' form down pretty well, in minor pent and blues, and I'm kind of cheating by just using that form based on the octave above.
That's not cheating. It's an excellent observation.

You've found the upper part of Box 2 on your own.:sneaky:

Look for the same "form" starting from the root on each string.:)

Last edited:

BigBear58

Blues Newbie
That's not cheating. It's an excellent observation.

Look for the same "form" starting from the root on each string.:sneaky:

Well, I kind of feel like it's cheating, since I regard it as a bit of a crutch, but it has forced me to spot-see my root, b3rd, 5th and b7th on every string, which is a discipline I kind of sidestepped in previous guitar learning crusades. And once I started noodling with the b5th, all of a sudden my playing has some color to it, instead of just dancing up and down a scale.

I'm a terrible student, because once I get an ah-ha moment, I venture off-script. Which is why my last guitar teacher and I mutually co-terminated.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Get the Penatonic mastery course, I thought I would do that course and be done, I still do the entire book at least twice a week.
I struggles learning the boxes forever..............3 weeks paying attention to this course ten minutes every other day, I dont even look at the fretboard anymore

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
"Pentatonic Scales & Technique Mastery" is the best course for getting the fingering patterns of the Boxes under your fingers.

It will also help with your timing, speed, endurance and overall technique.

But it won't teach you anything about the notes you are playing or the scales, roots or scale degrees of any scale.

That's not what that course was designed for.

If you want to learn about playing the Major and minor pentatonic scales to the left and right from the root notes in each box, "Major Minor Blues Shapes" will do the job.

If you just want an introduction to the 5 Boxes, you already have that in BGU.

BTW: Griff doesn't offer manuals separately. And PS&TM relies pretty heavily on the video.

And if learning patterns is a "crutch", there's a lot of impaired guitarists out there.o_O

Last edited:

BobMacLeish

toneseeker
Get the Penatonic mastery course, I thought I would do that course and be done, I still do the entire book at least twice a week.
I struggles learning the boxes forever..............3 weeks paying attention to this course ten minutes every other day, I dont even look at the fretboard anymore

Thank you for the tip. Where is the Pentatonic Mastery course? thanks

BobMacLeish

toneseeker
i just joined the all access a couple days ago and am paying a monthly fee. is this an addn'l purchase or is it included in the all access?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
You have online streaming access to everything. All courses are in your course list.

You can still purchase courses if you want the DVDs or wait 60 days and redeem your first Golden Ticket for permanent access to a course.

Once you "own" a course you will be able to download it.

BobMacLeish

toneseeker
You have online streaming access to everything. All courses are in your course list.

You can still purchase courses if you want the DVDs or wait 60 days and redeem your first Golden Ticket for permanent access to a course.

Once you "own" a course you will be able to download it.

Ok. Thanks.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
i just joined the all access a couple days ago and am paying a monthly fee. is this an addn'l purchase or is it included in the all access?
I swear by this course as one of the most important. Not only to get your fingers moving and seeing the entire fretboard, but finding notes, being able to solo, playing without looking

benefits IMHO were 10 times the cost of the course

Rob63

Make It Your Own
IMO.....boxes 1,2 &3 can get you a long way. And the E, A and D "chord shapes"/inversions. From those two angles and chord tone soloing you can go far without a lot of mind boggling theory. Just my experience.....

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
No reason to ignore Boxes 4 & 5 and the C and G chord shapes. They're all the same notes.

Last edited: