Where to go after Beginning Blues Guitar?

BrianNegley

Blues Newbie
I'm just about finished with this course and looking for the next one...I'm thinking of Soloing without Scales as this is certainly of interest, but also Blues Guitar Unleashed as it's likely more comprehensive...and/or the soloing would be covered in the latter? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!

Doodlebug

Blues Newbie
Hi Brian, I’m doing BGU 2.0 and loving it. The best part for me is learning how to play all along the neck and all the skills to do that. As someone who always was stuck with the traditional chords and was mystified about using all the neck it’s been a tremendous learning curve.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Following BBG, you will need/want the more complete BGU2, but after the second solo in BGU you might want to take a break with something easier like SWS.

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
Tom makes a great point. After completing BBG I went to the acoustic course since the likelihood of playing with a band was probably not going to happen. For me it was a great choice. As Tom indicated, I'm my own band. I have the BGU 2.0 course which I look at occasionally, but I found the acoustic course to be invaluable for my purposes.

dwparker

Bluesologist
Following BBG, you will need/want the more complete BGU2, but after the second solo in BGU you might want to take a break with something easier like SWS.
What is the reasoning behind this? Is there a huge learning curve between solo 2 and 3, so something intermediary is helpful at this point in the course?

I'm about to start working on BGU solo 1 and I have a golden ticket coming soon, so I want to use it wisely.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
What is the reasoning behind this? Is there a huge learning curve between solo 2 and 3, so something intermediary is helpful at this point in the course?

I'm about to start working on BGU solo 1 and I have a golden ticket coming soon, so I want to use it wisely.
I think the general consensus is that, a new player jumping straight into SWS before BGU 2 wouldn't have the basic skills. Once you've got 1,2, or 3 solos under your belt. SWS is a nice change of pace and a different way of thinking/looking at the neck.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
From personal experience, when I went to my first jam, even though I had worked through the first three solos in BGU, I was soooo glad that I had gone through about half of SWS (that's about as far as I ever got in that one). When I first got up on stage and nerves took over, I auto-piloted to that 4 note pattern pretty hard. My second time up, I calmed down a bit and could play box 1 along with the 4 note pattern.

I've also heard what Griff has said about doing the first couple solos in BGU before doing SWS. From my own personal journey, when I started BGU, I actually worked it pretty hard for a few months to get past solo 2. Once I was there was when Griff released SWS. Since I had been so focused on BGU, it was a nice distraction for a little while. These days, if you want just a straight solo instead of another way to look at the fretboard, you could just as easily do 5EBS or 5MEBS. Those are a LOT of fun, and they get you playing something that you can plug in somewhere and sound really cool.

Long/short, I'd say that, if you just finished BBG, you should look at BGU with the caveat that, while you're working through it, you should look at SWS, 5EBS, or 5MEBS to break it up and have some fun shortly after you have the first couple of solos under your fingers.

BrianNegley

Blues Newbie
Hi All - Sorry for the slow response (I live in China and need to use a VPN to get access to this site, which means I don't visit that often), but I appreciate everyone's input, really valuable. Thank you!