The Virtual Jam Room - VJR

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Most of you are probably aware of this, but for anyone who is not, you should visit the Virtual Jam Room (aka VJR). The VJR is located in the Recording Info and Member Recordings section near the bottom of the forum list. It's a great way to get your feet wet at soloing. It has been attracting brave (and not so brave) souls for almost 9 years.

If you're not familiar with the concept, someone uploads a blues or bluesy backing/jam track (to Dropbox, Soundcloud, Google Drive, Microsoft One Drive, or other file sharing service) with a solo (12 bars on really slow blues, 24 bars on a regular shuffle or more on a faster tune), leaving room for additional players to contribute. Each player downloads the previous players' track and adds another solo until the track is full. It's a 'no judgement zone.' It's a place to relax, have fun and post your material. It's NOT a place for criticism and only positive comments are welcome.

All you need to do this is some kind of recording interface connected to your PC or Mac and some way to record your solo masterpiece. It sounds harder than it is, as a lot of new amplifiers have an output or USB connectivity that allows you to record directly to your computer. If you're not sure what you have, there is a companion section to the VJR called Recording Tips and Tricks, where you can post a question and someone will likely have an answer or at the very least, point you to a web page that will explain how to do what you want to do.

Why am I posting this? Well, there's a bunch of people in the forum who frequent this place pretty regularly and it does usually stay busy, but new players are always welcomed, regardless of your current skill level. If you're interested in this, the best thing you can do is dive right in, grab an open track and add your part. The worst thing you can do is think "I'll wait until I'm good enough before posting." If you wait until you're good enough, you'll probably never post. There will always be some reason...

If you've never been down to "the dungeon" take a moment and visit. Even if you're not interested, you never know how listening to others might spark your interest. If you're interested, looking through a few threads will give you some insight into how it's done and ease your way into joining us.

Do it! You know you wanna!

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Good reminder, papa! One of the best things I learned from BGU was how valuable recording and "virtual" jamming was. I've done a lot of Griff's course material, but improvising really creates the experience I need to learn it. Its terrifying...but really rewarding. I just finished the ABGU course and someone asked me what my favorite courses have been...I really should've included the VJR! Hellavalotta learning going on down there !

giayank

Just another day in paradise
I love that place been too long since I visited
Life got in the way but I’ll be back soon.
Only thing I’d add to the invitation is make sure you make it loud and proud.

Elwood

Blues
I'm bumping Papa's post, he made a real nice message reaching out to folks who want to try another experience here on the board. No need to repeat anything, he said it.

I will add that right next door to the VJR is "other member recordings". That is another experience available here. Like the VJR there is no "skill level requirement". You see folks post things there from "birdhouse" to "Taj Mahal" level playing and production levels. This is another chance for you to learn more about yourself. Personally, I can take a tune I've played so long I can't hardly remember not knowing it...but...when I try to play it for even ONE MINUTE without the stop-cuss-start over - thing happening, well well.

Anyway, that is another wonderful playground toy here at Griff's place and a great view of what folks are doing with their learning. Sometimes the magic happens and you hear someone put something up that you know made them feel good to be able to do, and maybe that inspires you to do something you really could do anyway?

Check it out too! Let's hear what you are hearing.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Hey folks, I just went through the first page (20) tracks in the Virtual Jam Room this morning and there are still 12 tracks that aren't finished. I edited the tracks that are full and added the word "Complete" to the thread title. The variety of tracks is all over the place, from slow blues to high speed jump blues tracks. If you've never contributed to the VJR, come on down and get your feet wet. The first time is the hardest, but you will never find a more supportive group than us "irregulars" who hang out down there. You may find it addicting!

Click Here --> Virtual Jam Room
You know you want to!

Elwood

Blues
@PapaRaptor I had a thought :confused:, we are trying to get "fresh blood" down in the vjr eh? What about a promotion like I saw at many disreputable establishments in the past, "EVERY NIGHT IS LADIES NIGHT" DOWN IN THE VJR/OMR!!!.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Might get a "fairer" perspective on our musical endeavors. (y) On the other hand, most of the placarded places were sparsely populated, and not many ladies at that.:confused: Maybe the treehouse approach would work, "NO GURLS":rolleyes:, that should be sure to attract interest from la belle jeune fille.:D (I learned most of my french from Pepe le Pew)

Anyway just a thought I had to stretch out the welcome mat a bit further.:Beer:

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
@PapaRaptor I had a thought :confused:, we are trying to get "fresh blood" down in the vjr eh? What about a promotion like I saw at many disreputable establishments in the past, "EVERY NIGHT IS LADIES NIGHT" DOWN IN THE VJR/OMR!!!.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Might get a "fairer" perspective on our musical endeavors. (y) On the other hand, most of the placarded places were sparsely populated, and not many ladies at that.:confused: Maybe the treehouse approach would work, "NO GURLS":rolleyes:, that should be sure to attract interest from la belle jeune fille.:D (I learned most of my french from Pepe le Pew)

Anyway just a thought I had to stretch out the welcome mat a bit further.:Beer:

Honestly, I don't care if it's a trans-gendered chipmunk who shows up. If they can pick up a guitar and do 12 bars, I don't think anyone's ears could tell the difference!
How's that for inclusion?

Elwood

Blues
trans-gendered chipmunk
Dang it Papa, you said you would never tell! :eek::eek::eek: Oh well..Where's Alvin anyway?

C'mon on down to the VJR/OMR folks. It's trans-gender chipmunk night!!!:sneaky:

Nope, that won't work any better than the other.:confused:

I was listening to Emmylou and thinking it might be nice though.....:whistle::whistle::whistle: so much for me thinking...:unsure: