Does Tempo predict the key you sing in?

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
To me it is everything---wether it be a old standard-or an original. Sometimes I find a groove tempo that I like but my voice don't. . I got 3 choices pick up the tempo- change keys-- slow it down -change keys---or 86---I put a lot of time into writing songs that I can not find a comfort zone with it... It is frustrating.

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
For me, bpm makes no difference. I sing in Q# no matter :whistle:

Actually, I seem to be most comfortable in E, C Db at slower tempos. Too fast and I get REAL pitchy. So yeah, it makes a difference.

Elwood

Blues
I don't believe so. My singing is sure no standard to measure anything by, but I can think of tunes that run straight out of my vocal range at either end, regardless of the tempo of the piece. On the other hand, maybe it makes a big difference and I'm just not aware of it yet?:confused: Interesting.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I can't say that I've given that much thought.
Certainly the tempo will have a huge influence on how I sing (if you can call it that).
I do know I need to settle in on my range.

@Cowboy Bob
Don't go underestimating you vocals, I've heard a few things you've done and you're far from chipmunk territory.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I haven't found that to be the case. Although for me at least, singing faster adds tension so there may be something to that.

But when I used to play my 33 RPM records at 45, or 78, it definitely had an effect on pitch.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I find it harder to sing faster when I'm singing at the top of my range, but in general tempo doesn't have any impact on the key. Only pitch does.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Oh Lawdy be Davy: I am beginnig to wonder about you Brother.:rolleyes::LOL::ROFLMAO::D:rolleyes: To much Tung Oil fumes; you might want to take a break from that Strat Build and take a walk out in the fresh air for awhile..;)

Last edited:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
When I say "KEY" I am referring to the root key--which allows me to change PITCHES comfortably through the other chords needed to do the song. Like the song M.M. put on-- if that up beat TEMPO started out in "E" , it would be a very uncomfortable place for me to start a song. It would leave me no head room for the 4 and 5 chords (PITCH changes)... I would more than likely have to go with "A" or "B". At a slower TEMPO I could probably do it out of "E"??? just sayin"