Rhumba in Bb

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Here's a new one! @Many Moons sent me a drum and rhythm guitar track a few days ago and I have been waiting for enough time to put together a bass track for it. It's just over 13 minutes long. I finally got my updated DAW software all straightened out and managed to put together this bass line for it today. @ManyMoons noted in his original message to me that the rhythm guitar is panned slightly left, so if you pan slightly right on your solo, it should broaden the track somewhat. Enjoy.

https://fuzzypinkstrap.com/VJR/clean/ManyMoons-RhumbainBb.mp3

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Now that I'm getting comfortable with the latest update to Cubase (10.5), I'm having a little fun with it. There are some nice enhancements to it that make recording much more painless than in previous versions.
So, I decided I would take a crack at this Rhumba thing. Just to make it a little more challenging, I decided to limit myself to only Box 1 and Box 2 pentatonic minor, instead of crawling all over the fretboard. I started it off and took it to around the 2 minute mark.
https://fuzzypinkstrap.com/VJR/ManyMoons-RhumbainBb-Papa.mp3

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Great stuff papa! (and many moons...on rhythm? and drums?). Very nicely done!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Cool!
I love the collaboration:)
Very nice drum stuff:Beer:

Someday, I'm gonna learn EZdrummer...........oh wait...ManyMoons is Superior:sneaky:

Nice one Papa
(y)

Paleo,
Tasty.....I like tremolo when used in the right context............you done well.
(y)

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
oh wait...ManyMoons is Superior
You're a hoot!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I have to say, EZ Drummer would have been MORE than enough for my requirements!! I got sucked in to Superior Drummer, and if the truth be told I probably only use about a thousandth of it's capabilities.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Great playing Moto. Love the contrast to Paleos gentle tremolo. It sort of jerks you back to reality then settles in to a more gentle Moto massage. Some great stuff going down on this track.(y)(y)

Really dig the beat on this:)
A very sixties comment:ROFLMAO:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Love the gritty tone, how'd you get that?
Thanks! The grit is fret rattle. That's the bridge pickup on my Jazz Bass. I had the tone control wide open so the dry signal is very bright without a strong low end. I used the Eleven Rack output which was a very bassy Ampeg SVT setting to bring back the thump. Then I added and compressed the dry bass sound something like 4:1 and added it way down in the mix so the rattle was always there, but not overpowering.

I love the Mark Knopfler style sound you brought to this!

Last edited:

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
GO JP!!!!!!!!!!(y)(y)(y) And who wants to follow that??:eek: TZ?:whistle:

OK..You've twisted my picking hand. ***RECORDING***

This one seemed to give me fits. Tried it a few days ago with no luck. JP's fine playing didn't make the task any easier(y). This is the best that I could muster. 8:07-9:22. Still a few minutes left for someone to put a bow on it.

Rhumba-Bb-TZ

Last edited: