Amps NUAD

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
So...methinks there's been more than enough build-up to this post.

The context: I've been looking for an easy-to-schlep SS amp solution to pair with my "new" PRS S2 guitar. Looking for mostly-clean rhythm tone plus a bit of crunch for my newfangled attempts at soloing soon. SS because I'm looking for low weight and not worrying about borking my out-of-production Nace Pro-18.

Very much like the tones I can get out of my Positive Grid Bias Mini modeling amp, no doubt, but for now it feels like overkill—especially when I feel the need to have an iPad handy loaded with the controller software to get the most out of it.

My other mini amp, the Quilter 101 Mini Reverb, languished until I pursued some suggestions here and tried it with a decent 1x12 cab. Once it met my Texas Heat speaker I was a goner.

Now. One of my BGU friends, @cowboy, has had a Quilter Mach 2 head for sale for a while. Mint condition, and a killer price. I want the multiple voices and the see-and-dial simplicity of a head that doesn't need add-on software, and which will play well with my 1x12 cab. Win-win: I bought it. It should arrive tomorrow.

Moar to come, when it arrives and all the players in this mix have had a chance to play well together. :Beer:

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I think that's a good move.
Keep in mind, you can also run your acoustic and vocals through the Quilter.
I think I posted a vid from Quilter on the setup is for that.

Although I don't yet own one, that's very appealing to me as the ultimate grab & go for all occasions.

Now set it up, learn how to use it and have a nice life.
:)

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
My first impression was shock over how light this thing is. Crazy!

Out of the box it sounded killer good. I expect @cowboy maybe left the knobs in good places. ;)

For voicings my current favorites are Smooth and Surf: both very articulate, no mud or flub at all (I know you can EQ out some of the bass but it's still nice to start from a good place). Playing with the boost some, thus far like Scoop and Cream the best but I haven't spent a whole lotta time on them. Been playing it with just the PRS thus far, want to jack in the Acoustasonic and a vocals mic and play around in "open mic" mode some, too. It's liking the Texas Heat speaker in my 1x12 cab quite a bit.

I picked up the adjustable 2-button footswitch for it (the one you can change what each button controls). My evil plan is to set one of them to the boost and experiment with going into solo mode sans pedals. We'll see.

quilter_head_on_carvin_cab_001.jpg

Thanks, Cowboy! This thing is a delight! :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
So, with the Acoustasonic: on channel 1 I'm ambivalent about the piezo acoustic tone. I'm sure I just need to spend more time working on the settings and I needed to move on to actual practice for tonight.

On channel 2? Yowza. That funky EQ thing they do where it goes from scoop to flat to shelf has a sweet spot right around 2:00 that just SINGS. If I didn't want to use channel 2 for vocals I'd stop right there and stick a fork in it. As it is, now that I know where that spot is I'll just need to find it on the 3 band EQ to match.

Can't stress enough how much I'm liking this amp. :Beer:

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Yay and congratulations. I think the BGU forum may have another Quilter fan! I hope you enjoy it in good health for many years!!!

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Yay and congratulations. I think the BGU forum may have another Quilter fan! I hope you enjoy it in good health for many years!!!

Yes indeed! Got off to a rocky start messing around with the 101R but methinks I’m getting to where I see (hear) what the fuss is about. Was just taking a practice break to futz around with getting a good Acoustasonic tone on channel 1 and I’m already probably 80% there. Fun! :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I was messing around with the clean headroom, playing some of my go-to acoustic tunes clean through my PRS. Man, I was liking how it sounded. Not gonna hang up my Acoustasonic but yeah...fun! :Beer:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
When your arms pop back into their sockets from avoiding the weight, the audience is happy and you're feel'n good at the end of the night.............
Just remember who told you so!
:LOL:

You don't need no stinking Fender.

Last edited:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Tried something new: wanted to get in practice time on my “new” bass tonight, but was too lazy to drag out the Rumble 100 amp (my practice space is too small to have multiple amps set up). Plugged the Rumblekat bass into the Quilter. Man, does it ever sound good!

I’m aware I could damage the Texas Heat speaker if I get too froggy with it but at bedroom volume I think it’s okay.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Tried something new: wanted to get in practice time on my “new” bass tonight, but was too lazy to drag out the Rumble 100 amp (my practice space is too small to have multiple amps set up). Plugged the Rumblekat bass into the Quilter. Man, does it ever sound good!

I’m aware I could damage the Texas Heat speaker if I get too froggy with it but at bedroom volume I think it’s okay.
It'll definitely loosen up the cone, I knew a guy would break in his amps by playing low volume bass to loosen the cone

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
It'll definitely loosen up the cone, I knew a guy would break in his amps by playing low volume bass to loosen the cone

Cool. For long term, though, I’m thinking if I want to use the Quilter head for both I should consider a more suitable speaker in the cab. Hmm.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Moved the head/cab onto an amp stand to get it off the floor. I was uncertain whether the tilt-back angle would cause problems with the head wanting to slide off, but the feet are nicely socketed into the insets on the top of the cab and it's quite sturdy.

Decided to keep the 101R Mini amp head as a backup and headphones practice amp. I've moved all my other amps and cabinets to the basement for the time being. Guess I'm turning into another Quilterphile. :Beer:

my_music_space_11jan2020.jpg

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Basement:eek:

You must have a huge basement.

Fair sized; now a viable gear storage area since I had it waterproofed and put in the dehumidifier. SWMBO is after me to, at some point, set up a man cave in part of it so as to move the bulk of my noisemaking from the current music room that's only a few feet from the master bedroom.

Another data point is I have had that distressing habit of flipping gear I decided I wasn't using regularly, so the backlog is probably smaller than one might think. :Beer:

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Here's Pat Quilter playing a little steel guitar at NAMM today. You might recognize the combo above his head to the right, Mark.

20200116_122201_HDR.jpg