Gypsy Moth (a Hoyt Axton song)

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
That was a great listen Elwood. The guitar playing was excellent, vocals crystal clear and the whole thing was beautifully recorded.(y)(y)

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Man; you got it going brother---loved your vocals- fits the song dead on---and your pickin' is right there with it---you did that GOOD-:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Elwood

Blues
Ha! Thanks guys!!! Just a silly old guy with a silly old song. :whistle:

Hey Moto, The DAW is starting to be more like "ms word" to me, and less like " the monster in the box". I must have had some patient coaching :notworthy:

edit: @Many Moons , @blackcoffeeblues , @CaptainMoto Hey, I lean towards those kinda "lookin down and shufflin your feet" type of responses to the comments you guys made. I just want to say I really do appreciate it. ya'll are good players and I know you hear what I do, and there ya go anyway.
I really am mostly playing acoustic until Django's foot gets better (don't throw me back in that brier patch, right?). We spend some quality time healing. I did GM with the laptop with my little Mackie interface and both dogs sleeping nearby.
VJR and learning other than what is in my mind just is not happening. I do get in my daily drills, the 314 has the same scale as the tele, piece o cake.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Elwood,
I liked your analogy "ms word" to me, and less like " the monster in the box".
I can relate.....when I first started out with computer recording it was an overwhelming box of frustration and confusion.
That was just a few years ago, and now I know enough to get around but, have hardly scratched the surface.

I've signed up for several recording/mixing courses, just as I did when I first started to actually learn something on the guitar.
Bits and peaces of all that are starting to come together but, like with most things, I'm finding the more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know.

Between guitar playing, song writing, recording & mixing, I've got enough learning to keep me busy for the rest of my life.

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
Thanks @WimVD and @BigMike, It feels good to share some tunes I love and see some others appreciate them too (esp with the delivery :unsure:).

@CaptainMoto you do have a full plate. My dance card is full up just trying to learn something about six strings. It is a relief to have a passing acquaintance with the technology necessary to communicate in the language of music these days though. So frustrating to play something and then melt down on the qwerty keyboard. I do appreciate the relief bro!!!

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
Nice one Elwood. I really do admire you guys the can just lay down an acoustic track AND sing along to it.

Elwood

Blues
@Ted_Zeppelin ,@Many Moons , you guys play so fine. You, me, anybody, never (boy, I do not like absolute terms but this one fits) met anyone who doesn't sing. It's a human thing. Most get kinda sheepish getting caught in the act, most should. I digress...I just betcha both you guys do it, and do way better than you think.
Try this, I bet you drive and sing. You need a license, tons of attention, all kinds of motor and brain skills, and if you screw up things can go south fast. Driving is hard, just look at how many do it poorly. But you have cranked up the stereo, punched down the gas, and howled like a cut monkey when no one could hear, right? (I hope)
You already play great. Just play instead of drive while you sing. There, it is easy now. And nobody gets hurt.:Beer:

I am clinging to the thin hope that singing is just another skill that can improve to some degree with repetition.

Problem with me is the more I play, I realize I actually enjoy more elements of a tune that the guitar alone brings. Playing music with a computer,ah, ah, never caught on with me until I got on this site. Never had a downloaded jam track before. Still feels funny. The band is dead. You can't do anything to move 'em. The VJR is fun, kinda like unidirectional interaction. You can take some flavor from what someone before you played, some from the backing track, and pretend.

Here comes the acoustic. Somehow, the same six strings that are on a tele (that needs to be plugged in and still seems lonely without other instruments), on an acoustic feel like you have the whole band. Not much missing. So, like these last few weeks, with life getting hard in the way of 'serious" playing, I was able to maintain sanity with my acoustic friends. I'm singing more because I have come to realize I enjoy doing it to add the story and melody to the guitar parts, I just struggle to find my "place" with my voice.

I just rattled off all that 'cos you guys (and many others) flat out smoke some of these tunes, you got the rest!

Glad you like Hoyt's old tune. That's another thing, I came across this tune quite a while back. Played it a few times. Story, right? Every verse a story, every story you can close you eyes and see. I love that stuff.

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
@Elwood , I recently purchased a new car that has a voice activated roadside assistance feature. The other day I was cruising down the road singing out loud to a song and out of the blue, a voice came over the speaker asking me if I was ok. She was afraid that I was being violently assaulted or possibly in extreme pain from an accident. When I told her that I was just singing, she said she didn’t believe me and would send an ambulance right out:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Elwood

Blues
hmmm, never heard that "overthinking" thing before...

I have to post a disclaimer. I dearly love some of Hoyt's OLD tunes. Can't imagine my musical landscape without them. I recently u-toob searched him and got some stuff (not being poli here Papa) that made me sad. Needed to say that.