Weekend Challange Gauntlet is thrown

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
so, @blackcoffeeblues had a recording of an old jazzy standard "Send me to the Electric Chair"

or as those of us cool hip cats cats call it

"Send me to the 'lectric chair"

So, how about we all swing our own version of it, phone recordings, no fancy DAW stuff and post them on this thread, say, by midnight Monday the 11th, just for fun.

We can ask @Griff to pick a winner (everyones a winner, I want my participation trophy) So, anyone in ?

@CaptainMoto any others ?

Just at least a verse and 1 chorus minimum ?

Oh, and i have a secret weapon

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Oh you trouble maker.:rolleyes:
And a secret weapon to boot:cautious:

Got some serious activity going on here the next week or so.
I can't commit yet but, I'll do my best to get at it.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I figure a chorus and verse will take about an hour (hint, my secret weapon, if I can replace the nut is to do it on a 1952 Kay archtop)

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
You know we're all just waiting to hear Mark's take on this.
I think he's been falling in love with a new mic and he wants to use it as a secret weapon .

I'm gonna give it a little shot today. I hope.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
For another "dark" tune that is substantially more of a jazz genre IMO, try Cole Porter's "Miss Otis Regrets".
It has a really great, rich sounding, jazz chord progression that translates to the guitar quite well, very typical of Porter. He used a very similar progression in a couple other songs he wrote.
Patti Austin does a masterful version of it, but there are many others on yt also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B02WAG07gKw
Sorry - not trying to hijack the thread - just another option for those that find going to the 'lectric chair intriguing. o_O

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have read that during the time it was popular, "Miss Otis Regrets" was considered a blues song by many. I would consider it to be one of those tunes that sits on the line between blues and jazz. Blues lyrics, jazz chords. I wrote out a detailed chord chart for it a few years ago based on the Real Book page if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
You know we're all just waiting to hear Mark's take on this.
I think he's been falling in love with a new mic and he wants to use it as a secret weapon .

I'm gonna give it a little shot today. I hope.
I was gonna use my 1950's archtop, but the tuners and nut are so bad I cant get it to hold tune

But, here is my first shot, I have a whole new appreciation for @blackcoffeeblues did, this song has a ton of nuances and dynamics, even when trying to do a simple version

I finally gave up doing it the traditional way, updated some of the lyrics and just had some fun with it, but, I was enjoying it enough I am gonna keep working on it

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Nice shot Mark.
Geees, you're hard on your guitar......looks like you're mad at the poor thing.
I was hoping to see you kissing a new mic.
The Git-fiddle looks like it fits the song.
:)
Short sleeves in the garage....it's too cold here to get away with that.:eek:

All my chores are done and the weekend is winding down.
Hope to give it a shot later tonight.
After listening a few times, I'm comfortable with some of it but, other parts just befuddle me.o_O
I'll strap in and give it a shot:sneaky:

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Nice shot Mark.
Geees, you're hard on your guitar......looks like you're mad at the poor thing.
I was hoping to see you kissing a new mic.
t:sneaky:

its the emotion of the song, I could feeled the mojo down in my soul

or it could be that bad churro I had a lunch,,,,,lol

Actually, this one was a whole ton of fun to me, I never play flat chords and the progression really took me ut of a comfort zone,and I am of course not comfortable vocal wise

the song itself I am really digging, been listening to it from multiple artists for the past few days

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Did you say comfort zone?
I was in no-man's-land.
Hope we get a few more players.
Kinda quiet :sleep:
that was awesome, I always learn something from you, even though we have completely different styles. Probably one of the reasons I like this song, its so far in left field for me