I HATE daylight savings time

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Last night I played at a place that was one of the first to ever book me ( second actually, but the only one still in business) and they book me there every 6 weeks or so, so I certainly feel some loyalty there, but they are already one of my lower paying gigs and it's a 4 hour gig 9:30-1:30.

It's getting to the point where those 4 hour gigs, particularly ones that start late like this on are getting tougher and tougher on this old bod. Since we changed the clocks last night I got to play from 9:30-1:30 and then another 12:30-1:30 (after the clock change) for a total of 5 hours!

I HAD planned on getting strict about 45 min on 15 off, but that NEVER works out for me. Since I do an all request show I always feel obligated to finish the requests in front of me before I break (Also don't want to give people an excuse to leave), so again it was a 2 hour first set, 15 minutes break an 1.5 hour min set, a 15 min break and an 1 hour set to close out the night.
They DID pay me for the extra hour, but MAN am I ever dragging my ass today!!!

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Sorry to break it out to you, but you got ripped off. The official daylight saving start is 3:00am, at which time the clock winds back to 2:00.

Any computer, phone, atomic watch, etc... follows the rule.

You should Google it and send it to them with a request for extra $$. Good luck

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Oops sorry, I didn't see they paid you extra.
Still, winding the clock back at midnight is wrong.

I was once on an overnight train during daylight savings change as the train literally stopped in the middle of nowhere at 3:00am and got going again an hour later.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Sorry to break it out to you, but you got ripped off. The official daylight saving start is 3:00am, at which time the clock winds back to 2:00.

Any computer, phone, atomic watch, etc... follows the rule.

You should Google it and send it to them with a request for extra $$. Good luck

True, but arguing with the guy that hires you isn't always a great idea.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Last night I played at a place that was one of the first to ever book me ( second actually, but the only one still in business) and they book me there every 6 weeks or so, so I certainly feel some loyalty there, but they are already one of my lower paying gigs and it's a 4 hour gig 9:30-1:30.

It's getting to the point where those 4 hour gigs, particularly ones that start late like this on are getting tougher and tougher on this old bod. Since we changed the clocks last night I got to play from 9:30-1:30 and then another 12:30-1:30 (after the clock change) for a total of 5 hours!

I HAD planned on getting strict about 45 min on 15 off, but that NEVER works out for me. Since I do an all request show I always feel obligated to finish the requests in front of me before I break (Also don't want to give people an excuse to leave), so again it was a 2 hour first set, 15 minutes break an 1.5 hour min set, a 15 min break and an 1 hour set to close out the night.
They DID pay me for the extra hour, but MAN am I ever dragging my ass today!!!

Champagne problems, my friend! :Beer:

Put another way, I wish I could bitch about someone wanting me to play guitar longer than I planned -- and get paid to do it. :LOL:

Maybe someday I'll know how that feels.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I looked it up and I was wrong. The time changes at 2:00am, not 3:00am.

Looks like all of Europe changes at the same time, so it could be 1:00am, or 3:00am depending on your time zone. And it's not the same weekend as the US (I think it was a week ago?)

Yeah it's all a big mess to make sure it's completely dark by the time you get home from work :(

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
4 hour gig 9:30-1:30
4 hour, late night one man gig's are VERY HARD on a young man, let alone one that the years are creeping up on. I quit doing them a long time ago---I changed to, 7 to 11.--Later on it was 6-10.
I notice now that the only place here in P.V. that has live music runs the band from 6 till 10 and then a DJ from 10 to 1....usually the older crowd starts thinning out about 9 to 10---and the late nighters are usually the younger partyers. Anyway--my hat is off to you for doing what your doing. It's a hard road.

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
I will never play guitar for hire so have difficulty relating to the above. All I know is my wife and I were driving home yesterday afternoon after a day of house shopping and at 5:30 it was already getting dark. And I hate it.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
By Christmas it would be getting dark at 5:30 even if we didn't set our clocks back.

But off course, with Standard Time it will then be 4:30.:eek: